Carpet Is In Lockdown - Lighting Options?

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Haddoni carpet anemone ate two of my clown fish minutes after I added them to the tank! I moved the anemone to a QT as a temporary holding tank (40 gal), but think I may have to leave him in there because I don't want to risk losing more fish. At this point, I plan to convert the tank into a permanent carpet tank and will add saddleback clowns AFTER they get a little bigger. Have some questions about lighting....

1. What lighting would you recommend me to have for such a tank? 35" length tank (40 gallons). Dept 16.5". Anything adequate for anemone color and growth at a price under $150? (I'm on a budget and didn't expect to have to run a 2nd tank). I need something that can run on 220-240 V if possible.

2. As far as filtration, will my SeaChem Tidal 55 do the trick? No other filtration on the tank, but I do have a LARGE amount of chaeto growing in one corner of the tank to help with nitrates.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Viparspectras run $150, but you'd probably only get 50% coverage over that length. The $250 model would be adequate.

Otherwise, a series of 3-4 Par38 bulbs would run you less than $100. You'd need to set up proper mounting and a dimmer/timer, but could probably get creative with it and stay in budget.

Edit:

Haddoni's are also pretty strong when it comes to water params. Way back in the day I was able to keep a large Haddoni with a HOB filter and protein skimmer and it thrived. I think what you've got set up should be fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back