Casualty in the tank, advice needed.

Turpstur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, as the title says, Ive unfortunately lost one of my favorite personalities in the tank, my sixline wrasse. I have a 40g peninsula with lots of hiding room for it, but when I just went to feed earlier. I thought it was weird he didnt come out, even after poking around in his den. I found him near the back of the tank, eaten in half! I picked up this little guy and a Banggai Cardinal from WWC a little over a week ago and they were doing great. The picture I attached is how I found him.
20221028_153608.jpg

Here is a list of all the inhabitants I have, they are all babies/small still:
x2 Australian Clowns paired
x1 Banggai Cardinal
x1 Yellow Watchman Goby
x1 Pistol Shrimp
x1 Tigerstripe Conch
Again, all of the fish I have are young and small still, biggest one is probably the cardinal pushing just at 2". I know I was also pushing it to how many fish I should have in my 40g as well, but I didn't really expect something like this to happen. My personal belief is since the den in the cave the Wrasse liked the sleep was near the sand bed and near the pistol/gobys cave, that the pistol shrimp managed to get him last night? I just don't know how that big of a chunk of him is missing with these small of fish. I would really love another wrasse, but obviously not for a while. Should I even attempt it again? What could have killed it?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, as the title says, Ive unfortunately lost one of my favorite personalities in the tank, my sixline wrasse. I have a 40g peninsula with lots of hiding room for it, but when I just went to feed earlier. I thought it was weird he didnt come out, even after poking around in his den. I found him near the back of the tank, eaten in half! I picked up this little guy and a Banggai Cardinal from WWC a little over a week ago and they were doing great. The picture I attached is how I found him.
20221028_153608.jpg

Here is a list of all the inhabitants I have, they are all babies/small still:
x2 Australian Clowns paired
x1 Banggai Cardinal
x1 Yellow Watchman Goby
x1 Pistol Shrimp
x1 Tigerstripe Conch
Again, all of the fish I have are young and small still, biggest one is probably the cardinal pushing just at 2". I know I was also pushing it to how many fish I should have in my 40g as well, but I didn't really expect something like this to happen. My personal belief is since the den in the cave the Wrasse liked the sleep was near the sand bed and near the pistol/gobys cave, that the pistol shrimp managed to get him last night? I just don't know how that big of a chunk of him is missing with these small of fish. I would really love another wrasse, but obviously not for a while. Should I even attempt it again? What could have killed it?

+1 vote pistol shrimp

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry for your loss! Do you have any cuc? It's possible he simply died and the cuc started doing what they do or, as was mentioned he simply died and the pistol got at him. It's possible the pistol attacked him but I would say it's more likely the wrasse died first.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 vote pistol shrimp

remember everything has to eat. it's known as pistol to stun prey. ask yourself what type of meaty prey might it consume in the wild... and then imagine you are a shrimp, excited to find a sleeping wrasse in the sand at your feet - shrimp thinks - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! If you don't keep it fed well, all fish it can catch so its not just wrasse concern, in my opinion

I'm sure you researched your shrimp, but here is a bit of info:
extract from above:
The snapping is used for hunting (hence the alternative name "pistol shrimp"), as well as for communication. When hunting, the shrimp usually lies in an obscured spot, such as a burrow. The shrimp then extends its antennae outwards to determine if any fish are passing by. Once it feels movement, the shrimp inches out of its hiding place, pulls back its claw, and releases a "shot" which stuns the prey; the shrimp then pulls it to the burrow and feeds on it

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back