Caught flukes early , i hope. New reefer

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago I noticed what looked like scales hanging of my Blenny. Translucent, white-ish

I tried to blow it off. Went as far as removing the blenny from the DT [ only fish ] and removing it with tweezers. Next day, same thing

After doing some research I believe it to be flukes. Today I saw a couple more on him.

I removed him from the DT and did a FW dip for 5 min.

He is back in the DT, acting normal, even eating.

I ordered some prazipro and will probably give him a dip in that. I unfortunately do not have a QT tank. No space.

Besides the blenny, there are 2 sexy shrimp, 2 nassarius snails and 2 hermits along with some corals... torches , hammers, octo, mushrooms, gsp and Clove polyps, zoas.

How would you all go about eliminating the flukes ? Treat DT directly ? QT in a small bucket with airstone and medicate ?

Please help ! Thanks in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prazi does a good job of removing flukes . Flukes are a type of parasite with the broad group of gyrodactylus parasites. There are two common types of flukes, the ones that infect the skin of the fish (dactylogyrus trematodes), and the second that will infect both the skin and gills of the fish (monogenenean trematodes). Flukes are not true flukes. They are actually parasitic flatworms belonging to the class of Monogeans. There are 13 families of flukes. However, only three families infect saltwater fish. Do these flukes move around?

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info.

No they just seem to be attached but I don't think I've seen them actually move

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back