CAUTION: New Hobbyist Beginning the Dive into Saltwater Reefers!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
I would be a Killer Whale because I don't want to be someones dinner
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a new reefer just beginning the dive into saltwater reefers although I have many years of experience with freshwater fish! We have 65 gallon Red Sea Max C-Series that will allow my family and I to enjoy some warm thoughts while we endure the harsh Minnesota winters. Don't be a stranger, so tell me which saltwater organism you would be and why!

Welcome! Glad you joined. Yesterday here in Texas weather forecast was 80s but we only reached 77 due to clouds that didn't move off until evening. Hopefully your winter weather is breaking up by now, too. I'd be a tiara anthias because they are so pretty it actually makes my chest hurt with love. Iridescent fins. Amazing pink. Females have yellow contrast which makes pink pop even more. My LFS is trying to get me a few more (I have 1 right now).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
C

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Yesterday here in Texas weather forecast was 80s but we only reached 77 due to clouds that didn't move off until evening. Hopefully your winter weather is breaking up by now, too. I'd be a tiara anthias because they are so pretty it actually makes my chest hurt with love. Iridescent fins. Amazing pink. Females have yellow contrast which makes pink pop even more. My LFS is trying to get me a few more (I have 1 right now).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

These are all great resources! I haven't started my build thread yet because we are getting the tank in the next few days but once I actually get the tank I will start one! :)

OP
OP
C

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Very interesting question. I never thought of this idea before.

Hmm…Maybe be Regal Angel. They are the most beautiful fish in the world IMO.

What would you be?
Very beautiful choice! I would have to go with a puffer. I have no idea why they intrigue me so much but they truly capture my attention!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!! As someone who made the switch a little over a year ago...one biggest warning to you is that although zero nitrates and phosphates in freshwater is a good(ish) thing..in a reef tank it is bad as Dino's will quickly sprout up and take over (little bubbled snotty slime on everything). Be mindful of your nutrients (not too high nor too low) as one of your first lessons to figure out. The rest of this stuff will come in time.

Vegan Tree GIF by Welcome! At America’s Diner we pronounce it GIF.

OP
OP
C

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! I think I would be an urchin. Just get to eat all day and look super cool lol. Make sure you do you research, for me it was watching videos and lots of googling haha.
Unique choice! Urchins are pretty neat! And FOR SURE about that research! BRS has been a constantly streamed YouTube channel for us lately and we have been googling and researching the heck out of everything. I might have even used "research" as an excuse to check out quite a few of our local saltwater stores. I do have to admit, I can definitely relate to this GIF when it comes to organizing all of the information we've learned haha

Fish Laser GIF

OP
OP
C

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!! As someone who made the switch a little over a year ago...one biggest warning to you is that although zero nitrates and phosphates in freshwater is a good(ish) thing..in a reef tank it is bad as Dino's will quickly sprout up and take over (little bubbled snotty slime on everything). Be mindful of your nutrients (not too high nor too low) as one of your first lessons to figure out. The rest of this stuff will come in time.

Vegan Tree GIF by Welcome! At America’s Diner we pronounce it GIF.
Thanks for the tip! I appreciate any and all of the tips and tricks!

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, tips for saltwater tanks, don't let saltwater run down your aquarium, it ruins it, stop it at all costs, and when we talk about prices of livestock to our partners we don't tell the whole truth :D, and oh yeah don't forget to feed everything

Angry Let Me Love You GIF

As to answer your question, I think I'd have to stay with my namesake of Bruce

finding nemo ocean GIF

Happy reefing

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

MINNIE-SODA???? I spent a lot of time up there in my former life selling farm equipment components to Agco! Also had the pleasure of an eelpout festival. Knew a clawhammer picker that had a string band called the Eelpout stringers! Welcome! It’s addictive for sure! The freshwater stuff got boring for me after I dove in. Still have my #1, Tenbrooks the flowerhorn.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%

Back