OP
reef_daddy

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry to go a bit off topic. Just wanted to ask if you guys use this to dip all coral? Why not used one made specifically for reefing, like Coral-rx?

Thank you.
I use it for literally every coral that goes into my tank now. I’ve had no negative effects. The reason I use Bayer over Coral-RX is only because it just works so why change? I’d be willing to try Coral-RX though in the future. I just don’t see a big enough reason to change other than the fact that Bayer makes the water milky.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use melafix pond...much better. It’s clear like others have said. Switched and never looked back

Can you post a picture of what you are using and where you get it :) does it work the same way that the Bayer Dip did?

One thing you have to keep in mind when using "" ANY "" of these dips ,,, as far as I know ,,, none of them ,, even the Bayer ,,, they don't kill the eggs ,,, if you are dipping your coral and then ,, in the tank they go ,,, you have more than likely infested your tank within the next two weeks of the coral being in your tank ,,

Last edited:

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry to go a bit off topic. Just wanted to ask if you guys use this to dip all coral? Why not used one made specifically for reefing, like Coral-rx?

Thank you.

It was my understanding ,, the regular type of dips, like you are talking about ,, would kill the pest but it would also / could ,, irritate the coral and depending on if the coral were a more sensitive type coral ,, like a smooth skinned acro ,, could even kill the coral or at least make it unhappy if you left it in the dip to long ,, most Reefers weren't even dipping these types of corals because of the good chance of killing the coral ,,

The Bayer dip didn't work the same way ,, it attacked the nerve system ,, they would drop off dead ,, since the corals didn't have a nerve system ,, Bayer didn't effect the coral at all ,, you could leave the coral in the dip with no effects to the coral ,, even the smooth skinned corals ,, this is the reason everyone jumped on the band wagon when this was discovered. Feel free to set the record straight if I am wrong with anything I said,, no one really answered the question he was asking ,, so I gave it a shot ,, I think I am close to the right answer ,, but I could be wrong about some of it :)

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of what you are using and where you get it :) does it work the same way that the Bayer Dip did?

One thing you have to keep in mind when using "" ANY "" of these dips ,,, as far as I know ,,, none of them ,, even the Bayer ,,, they don't kill the eggs ,,, if you are dipping your coral and then ,, in the tank they go ,,, you have more than likely infested your tank within the next two weeks of the coral being in your tank ,,

melafix pond will not kill eggs either...

This is a quote from Rakie. Search his name and melafix...

the Pond version, as it's VERY concentrated. They are functionally identical except for concentration.

This is the dosage you use with each melafix type

Regular melafix; 65mL/gallon

Saltwater melafix; 50mL/gallon

Pond melafix; 10mL/gallon

I personally use about 1.5 - 2mL/cup.

It knocks off all species of flatworms nearly instantly. It's VERY hard on any inverts.

Melafix is a 5-6 minute dip only. Be extremely mindful of the clock, set a timer. Especially if you use the dosage I use. I will also note I see no difference between 0.75mL to 3mL of pond per cup.

Melafix shouldn't go bad, it's just tea tree oil and rodi water!

It's the most effective dip I've ever used, for every pest. It's the only thing I've seen kill LPS/SPS spiders.”

Hope that helps.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stopped using Bayer. Even with multiple rinse dips, the residue that gets into the water kills my crustaceans.

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to take a picture of the ingredients list and I noticed that they were in fact different. I double checked the type of Bio Advance that I bought and it turns out that I bought the Complete Insect Killer for SOIL & TURF.

The Soil & Turf version is different.

Lesson learned: pay attention to the details. The bottles are very similar looking.

I’ll pick up the regular Complete Insect Killer and try it on a new SPS and I will report back.

For reference, here is the bottle I was using:

d11552177b843553309ce5d210578abf.jpg

db2b919ce9a54b2d7764cd7cf9842e6a.jpg
OMG. Brutal dude. That’s life sometimes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back