OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed live brine with frozen/defrosted Hikari mysis and it went over well. The longnose eats fine, I did see the CBB eat some mysis by mistake and a fair amount of brine.

The CBB is definitely much less active than the longnose. He mostly hangs out at the bottom but seems to be breathing better today. I'm hoping he will perk up with food and general cure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jofiel I've done the exact same thing with finicky CBBs. The Longnose is more likely to accept frozen, worms, clams straight away, so this creates "competition" which entices the CBB to eat. Being you are QT'ing them together, odds are they will bond once in the DT.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jofiel I've done the exact same thing with finicky CBBs. The Longnose is more likely to accept frozen, worms, clams straight away, so this creates "competition" which entices the CBB to eat. Being you are QT'ing them together, odds are they will bond once in the DT.

That's exactly what I was hoping. The longnose is certainly interested and actively hunting for food but the feeding style is pretty calm so the competition is rather gentle. I think a more vigorous feeder would put the CBB off.

They also seem to eat best in low ambient light.

Longnose is now eating worms out of the baster in addition to live brine and frozen mysis. I won't add any more foods until the CBB is solidly eating mysis. It's a nice convenient food so I don't want him to decide something more difficult, like live clams, is tastier!

Since it has a couple good meals under it's belt, I'm going to start the general cure.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn thing stopped eating yesterday. Still appears healthy, is swimming well, and breathing fine but just looking at the food. Before that it was chowing down 3 or 4 times a day. I was going to start the CP yesterday but put it off because it didn't eat.

I'll start it tomorrow if it eats or not, I thought I would do a water change today despite the levels being fine and see if he will eat later.

I also ordered my atlantic longnose. I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. Hoping to get the new display cycling this weekend.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longnose atlantic butterfly I ordered from live aquaria arrived nearly doa and didn't make it through acclimation. Made me super sad ;(

I started the CP anyway and hopefully they will replace it quickly.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow best of luck with this one!!
Great that you have two beautiful butterfly's! I'll be praying he stays nice and healthy! Love watching the rescue missions on this forum! Good luck!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longnose atlantic butterfly I ordered from live aquaria arrived nearly doa and didn't make it through acclimation. Made me super sad ;(

I started the CP anyway and hopefully they will replace it quickly.

I'm sorry for your loss :( Hate it when that happens.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitch, the copperband, is doing well for the most part, active, not nearly as shy (for the first week he would hide every time I came in the room), and eating decently but now he has something on his mouth.

Is it lympho? It appeared pretty quickly, over three days.

Can't get a decent close up. He won't hold still!

IMG_1830.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here this ones a bit better. Could he have just banged or scraped his beak?

I have melafix in hand so am dosing that even though I'm super skeptical lol!

IMG_1840.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm starting to think it's not lympho but rather that he bashed his beak.

He isn't eating well and it seems like he's having technical difficulties with actually catching food.

I scooped him out and it looks like the tissue hanging on the end of his beak has a blood spot in it. It also feels more like damaged flesh if that makes sense.

He's still quite bright and active but just bot fattening up as well as I'd like.

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back