CBB rescue mission. Help please.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the red is a bit worrisome. Try the kanaplex, or if you can't find that furan2 is a good alternative.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would there be any harm in doing a methylene blue dip?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would there be any harm in doing a methylene blue dip?

I dont know about harm, but I don't think it will do much good at this point. An acriflavin bath might do some good though... if followed by antibiotics.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about harm, but I don't think it will do much good at this point. An acriflavin bath might do some good though... if followed by antibiotics.
darn, that i do not have on hand. will add it to the first aid box.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so CBB is perky and eating despite the ugly tissue on his face. The red spot seems to have faded. I've noticed a little tag on a fin. One of his fins has grey speckles on it. They are veeeeery fine, like cigarette ash.

My main concern is the longnose, who looks perfect but seems NQR (not quite right). He is lethargic and not eating well.

They have been in CP for 17 days.

They have had two rounds of general cure one before starting the CP, one 6 days later.

I started adding kanaplex, per instructions 4 days ago. (adding it every 2 days). After the second dose the longnose has declined. I added an air stone in addition to the powerhead and hob pump.

I'm not sure if I should do the last dose of kanaplex. I'm worried about the longnose and contemplating doing a water change and not adding more antibiotics.

I have done (2) 5 gallon water changes since they have been in the qt. Each time dosing it with CP to maintain the therapeutic level. Ammonia levels have always been fine. Twice a day I turkey baster out any uneaten foods.

Any opinions?

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the CBB. The grey speckles are very hard to see but visible in the photos. They are most prevalent on his left pelvic fin though there are some on his right also.

IMG_1872.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have Ruby Reef Rally now though have not used it. There are no dip instructions on it. Does anyone have a good how to?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB needs continued antibiotic treatment, but the Longnose does not. Can you transfer the Longnose into another QT with just CP?

Ugh! If I have to I could probably scrounge up almost enough stuff to get the 10 gallon tank back up. I only have the one hob filter though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! If I have to I could probably scrounge up almost enough stuff to get the 10 gallon tank back up. I only have the one hob filter though.

Sorry... some fish just don't tolerate antibiotics well.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allrighty, everything's set up. It's not ideal but it should be ready in an hour or two. I was already making water just need to tweak the salinity.

For the 10 gallon, I used the pump from my skimmer adjusted to like 5% in place of a power head and some chunks of sponge from the qt hob stuffed in front of the intake. I'm hoping any traces of antibiotics on the sponge should be minimal?

Should I do the reef rally bath for the CBB at some point or just leave him for the rest of the antibiotics run.

Per the instructions, I was going to do the third dose of kanaplex tonight and run it for 2 more days. Is that enough?

At what point can I consolidate them again once I'm done with the kanaplex? What is the best way to remove it from the system while maintaining the therapeutic CP?

Thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. These are two very cool fish and I really want to do the best I can for them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CBB is looking better, I would just stay the course with Kanaplex and not worry about the Rally bath.

After 10 days, do a large WC and run carbon to remove any residuals from the medication. You should be able to put the Longnose back in with the CBB after that.

And no problem about the help. Butterflies are my favorite fish. :)

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CBB is looking better, I would just stay the course with Kanaplex and not worry about the Rally bath.

After 10 days, do a large WC and run carbon to remove any residuals from the medication. You should be able to put the Longnose back in with the CBB after that.

And no problem about the help. Butterflies are my favorite fish. :)

10 days from now or from starting the antibiotics 4 days ago?

Running carbon will remove the CP correct? Is that long enough for CP treatment?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days from now or from starting the antibiotics 4 days ago?

Running carbon will remove the CP correct? Is that long enough for CP treatment?
Good catch, forgot about the CP. I would just do a large WC then and redose enough CP (before the new water is added to the QT) to compensate.

You want to give the CBB 10 days worth of Kanaplex TOTAL. Maybe even a little longer if the red spot is still on his snout.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch, forgot about the CP. I would just do a large WC then and redose enough CP (before the new water is added to the QT) to compensate.

You want to give the CBB 10 days worth of Kanaplex TOTAL. Maybe even a little longer if the red spot is still on his snout.

Thanks, sounds like a plan.

Back