OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jofiel That is insane! So sorry to see/hear this. Do you know where he was collected from? Philippines, Indonesia, Australia?

The supplier that the store I got him at uses is Quality Marine but I have no idea where he was collected.

He died ;(
The only sign I can see is a bit of blood in the lower part of the stripe in his eyes but that was 100% not there until death.

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

So depressed I'm putting off moving stuff into the new display!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

I will say this... I have lost a few CBBs exactly as you described. Completed meds, were eating fine, and then suddenly became a reluctant feeder and just died. I got all of these from a transhipper who was sourcing them from a collector in either Indonesia or the Philippines. I suspect cyanide was to blame. :mad:

I got ticked off and bought my next 6 CBBs from two different collectors in Australia. And I paid a premium for them too. But they all ate within a day or two of arriving, some even accepted flake before they went into clients' tanks and to my knowledge all are still alive today. One is over 10 years old! :)

This experience of mine is from many years ago and I understand purely anecdotal, but just something to consider.....

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

I will say this... I have lost a few CBBs exactly as you described. Completed meds, were eating fine, and then suddenly became a reluctant feeder and just died. I got all of these from a transhipper who was sourcing them from a collector in either Indonesia or the Philippines. I suspect cyanide was to blame. :mad:

I got ****** off and bought my next 6 CBBs from two different collectors in Australia. And I paid a premium for them too. But they all ate within a day or two of arriving, some even accepted flake before they went into clients' tanks and to my knowledge all are still alive today. One is over 10 years old! :)

This experience of mine is from many years ago and I understand purely anecdotal, but just something to consider.....

It's tough! I didn't think he would make it through the first week because of where he came from. It was really touch and go a few times through the first three weeks but I really thought we made it.

Looking back, I really can't think of anything I would do differently but that doesn't make me feel any better about loosing him :/

I think I might try one from the awesome store I bought the longnose at. They had a few in stock and they were all eating well. If they have one next weekend I may give it a try.

This fish was also larger than I generally like to buy. I don't know if it makes sense at all but I always feel bad about supporting collecting full grown breeding specimens from the wild. I guess I can rationalize a wild caught fish to myself better if it's a juvenile that has low odds of making it into the breeding pool...

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucked it up and moved the longnose into the dt. He is now the first and currently the only one on there.

Broke down both QT tanks and they, and all the other equipment, are soaking in bleach.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, but sometimes there's nothing else you can do expect soldier on.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I'm so sorry to hear this! You did an excellent job with him. I can't help but point out that there really wasn't anything you did here to cause this.

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I'm so sorry to hear this! You did an excellent job with him. I can't help but point out that there really wasn't anything you did here to cause this.

Thanks Mel, I actually miss his little fish herpes face.

At least now I have a pretty complete first aid box for the future!

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 12 days into CP treatment and after eating so well on frozen brine and mysis my CBB has now lost interest in food for two days now.

This is day 14 was gonna put him in my DT.

The foxface I have in there with him has also lost interest perhaps it's the water quality in the QT which can't be great with 14 days of no water changes ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 12 days into CP treatment and after eating so well on frozen brine and mysis my CBB has now lost interest in food for two days now.

This is day 14 was gonna put him in my DT.

The foxface I have in there with him has also lost interest perhaps it's the water quality in the QT which can't be great with 14 days of no water changes ?

Why no water changes?

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to medicate my QT with the CP (55 litres) leave for 14 days no water changes then move them to the DT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biznizface Did you dose more to compensate for using tablets? (See below)

The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I researched throughly.

I put 3 of the tablets into my 55 litres QT

Therapeutic dosage for 55 litres would be 550mg (10mg/L).

A 250mg CP tablet would only contain the equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base. So, 3 X 250mg tablets would only yield 450mg of usable chloroquine. I'm afraid you underdosed by 100mg. :(

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the info off a forum here and double checked it with guys who I consider experts the general consensus is 5/10mg l.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the info off a forum here and double checked it with guys who I consider experts the general consensus is 5/10mg l.

Don't know what to tell you. 10mg/L is at the "low end" of the dosage scale. Quote below was taken from here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/fish
Chloroquine is typically dosed at a rate of 10 to 20 milligrams per liter (mg/l), with 15 mg/l being considered a "standard dose" (Hemdal 2006). Note: in most instances, solutions measured in "milligrams per liter" are equivalent to "parts per million" or ppm.

The 10 mg/l dose should be used as a quarantine preventative (not for active diseases), or for treating delicate species (although little is known about the sensitivity of different fish species to this medication). A dose of 15 mg/l is considered the normal dose for treating most protozoan infections, while the 20 mg/l dose would be reserved for attempting to eradicate difficult-to-treat Uronema marinum infections.

The author, Jay Hemdal, has been the aquarium curator for the Toledo Zoo since 1989. Prior to that time, he worked for the John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. He is a graduate of Eastern Michigan University and has written six books and close to 200 magazine articles on fish and aquariums.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. I've always gone off of this.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/fish

Here is the relevant section

"The 10 mg/l dose should be used as a quarantine preventative (not for active diseases), or for treating delicate species (although little is known about the sensitivity of different fish species to this medication). A dose of 15 mg/l is considered the normal dose for treating most protozoan infections, while the 20 mg/l dose would be reserved for attempting to eradicate difficult-to-treat Uronema marinum infections."

I wonder if a more recent study has indicated it is effective at lower doses.

Biznizface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a long thread on a forum here with over 6 years of experiences swapped etc.

The prophylactic consensus has been adjusted over time and they are all happy with the amount they use now. It has been stickied on the forum I speak of.

They thought 3 tablets for my 55l was the higher side. Interesting how you guys over there think different..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back