CCC for Biocube 32

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank February 21st. So 2 months old. My current clean up crew is 3 red scarlet reef hermit, 1 blue legged, 1 electric blue, 1 fire shrimp, 1 sand sifting star, 5 nassarius snails, 2 astrea snails. Honestly should be adding my flameback angle to the list. I’m still have bit of brown algae and tons green algae. What else would you recommend I get? I was thinking a small snail one that clean the rock
C97E9454-64EF-4AED-ABD8-58864C996D63.jpeg
BC768E3B-8C4F-41E8-A0A4-0464D7A3D933.jpeg
050ED2AF-CCA7-47BD-A32E-7BF27FCA3027.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really only have two snails that eat algae (the astreas), the rest of your cuc are detritus eaters. I would get maybe 2 turbo snails, 4-5 Ceriths, 4-5 Margaritas, and 2-3 more astreas. I would also get some more live rock, for your bioload, you’re definitely on the lower end of how much rock you should have (try to find some good quality, biologically diverse liverock and get at least ten more lbs). What are you using for top-offs and water changes? What are your params? What and how much are you feeding?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve got eleven detritivores (plus any hitchhikers from the rock), and only two small algae eaters. 12-15 small snails and 2 larger ones is not too much for that tank, in fact the recommendation used to be one snail and 1.5 hermit crabs per gallon. I think that’s overkill, 14-17 snails and maybe 10 blue leg or 5 scarlet hermit crabs would be about ideal for a tank this size (maybe a couple less hermits since you have nassarius snails). If your parameters are otherwise in check (though you didn’t answer my other questions), it’s your cuc that is anemic. I’m also not sure why you’re reluctant to add more live rock, it would only make your tank more stable (and probably more aesthetically pleasing).

Just for comparison, I set up a 28 gallon Nanocube (basically the same as a biocube) on Jan 20, I’ve got four fish, a coral banded shrimp, corals, 4 scarlet hermits, two turbos, 4 margaritas, 4 cerith, 4 astreas, and 4 nassarius, and my tank is basically pristine. Part of that is staying on top of water chemistry, but the other part is having an adequate CuC.

It’s your tank, so do whatever you want (I mean, you obviously do, you have a tang in a 32 gallon), but you asked for advice, I just told you what I think is appropriate as far as CuCs go based on my experience.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really only have two snails that eat algae (the astreas), the rest of your cuc are detritus eaters. I would get maybe 2 turbo snails, 4-5 Ceriths, 4-5 Margaritas, and 2-3 more astreas. I would also get some more live rock, for your bioload, you’re definitely on the lower end of how much rock you should have (try to find some good quality, biologically diverse liverock and get at least ten more lbs). What are you using for top-offs and water changes? What are your params? What and how much are you feeding
You’ve got eleven detritivores (plus any hitchhikers from the rock), and only two small algae eaters. 12-15 small snails and 2 larger ones is not too much for that tank, in fact the recommendation used to be one snail and 1.5 hermit crabs per gallon. I think that’s overkill, 14-17 snails and maybe 10 blue leg or 5 scarlet hermit crabs would be about ideal for a tank this size (maybe a couple less hermits since you have nassarius snails). If your parameters are otherwise in check (though you didn’t answer my other questions), it’s your cuc that is anemic. I’m also not sure why you’re reluctant to add more live rock, it would only make your tank more stable (and probably more aesthetically pleasing).

Just for comparison, I set up a 28 gallon Nanocube (basically the same as a biocube) on Jan 20, I’ve got four fish, a coral banded shrimp, corals, 4 scarlet hermits, two turbos, 4 margaritas, 4 cerith, 4 astreas, and 4 nassarius, and my tank is basically pristine. Part of that is staying on top of water chemistry, but the other part is having an adequate CuC.

It’s your tank, so do whatever you want (I mean, you obviously do, you have a tang in a 32 gallon), but you asked for advice, I just told you what I think is appropriate as far as CuCs go based on my experience.
Already 20 pounds of rock in there. I want room for my corals to grow. Thanks for your input though. And the tang is a baby. The fish store i bought it from had it in a 20 gallon tank with out and rock with 5 fish one being a coral beauty angle. So IMO I rescued it. When it gets 3-4 inches in going get give it away. Thanks for your opinion and on the snails I still think adding 15 more is not a good idea

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 5 Cerith Snails, but I clean every weekend. Hope this helps.

Edit: I have been thinking about buying an Urchin to help with the rocks, possibly a Halloween or tuxedo.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 5 Cerith Snails, but I clean every weekend.
I do weekly water changes, I take care of the glass myself. Do cerith snails eat off the rock?

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want a completely clean tank either because the flameback angle is a algae grazer. I looked up tank size requirements for them some sites said 55 other said 20, another said 24. So I decided to get one..

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 5 Cerith Snails, but I clean every weekend.

I do weekly water changes, I take care of the glass myself. Do cerith snails eat off the rock?
They do but I don't really notice much, so I clean the rocks with a bush which can be a pain. I have been thinking about buying an Urchin to help with the rocks, possibly a Halloween or tuxedo. They are known to be algae destroyers, if you wanted an alterative might be something to look into.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you even talking about? I suggested what you should add to your CuC and told you what’s worked for me.
I have a build page where I have my parameters and for top offs I’m doing it by hand (ro water) But ordered a kessil a160 blue w controller and gooseneck. I also have a tunze nano 3152 i just need to hook it up

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build page where I have my parameters and for top offs I’m doing it by hand (ro water) But ordered a kessil a160 blue w controller and gooseneck. I also have a tunze nano 3152 i just need to hook it up
Just for reference, here’s what reefcleaners.org, who are well respected and experts in CuCs, recommends for a tank your size. Personally, I would go with roughly half what they recommend (or the equivalent of half) and then get more if need be.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back