Ceiling texture fell into tank!

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m about a week & a half into my cycle as I’m patiently waiting I was fooling with my leds & I hit the ceiling which is some form of ceiling “texture” & a few small pieces of the ceiling fell into the tank ... idk what the ceiling is made of,,, idk what to do?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably plaster. I had a large amount of old plaster ceiling crash into my tank once. Most things lived. You could syphon out the pieces that fell into you tank. A water change wouldn't be bad just in case.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably plaster. I had a large amount of old plaster ceiling crash into my tank once. Most things lived. You could syphon out the pieces that fell into you tank. A water change wouldn't be bad just in case.

Yea I figured that’s what it was but It was in the house when I moved here so I couldn’t say for sure. The pieces that fell in were so small I couldn’t find them if I wanted to, & I have no livestock so I won’t be able to tell if it does any damage.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry after your tank complete cycled you would likely do 90+% water change before add any live stocks. I have no lid cover on my tank and hell know what fall into my tank during the day or night while I'm at work or sleep.
Don't over thinking or worries too much.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry after your tank complete cycled you would likely do 90+% water change before add any live stocks. I have no lid cover on my tank and hell know what fall into my tank during the day or night while I'm at work or sleep.
Don't over thinking or worries too much.

Yea I try not to worry but I attempted this hobby around 3 years ago in a BC29 ... I failed horribly to algae I hope for this time to go better, I don’t need anything to hurt the cause before I even get started .

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I try not to worry but I attempted this hobby around 3 years ago in a BC29 ... I failed horribly to algae I hope for this time to go better, I don’t need anything to hurt the cause before I even get started .
Algae is part of the hobby for first 1 or 2 years for a new system, some old experience reef keepers here are still facing algae issue from time to time so all I can say is be patience, take it slow and don't give up then you will win at the end. :)

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that big of a deal I have no top on my tank now and dog hair cat hair dust all get filtered out by my filtration. Just remove it let the tank cycle and do your normal water change at the end and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’ll try not to sweat it, but speaking of kids I had decided that I wasn’t going to use one, ive been seriously debating on putting one on now,,, thoughts? & btw thanks for the replies! You guys are everywhere! All the time lol!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but speaking of kids I had decided that I wasn’t going to use one
Everyone should use kids... free labor! :p

Oh... you meant lids! I think a lid is a great idea for tanks without canopies. Fish love to jump.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yea lids!! lol kids .. I use mine all the time lol ! But yea how much does a lid really take away from the lighting ?
Not much if done correctly. I'm going to be making mine for my new tank using this kit.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

And using this to make a feeding door using the leftovers and some of these.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/window-corner-for-diy-aquarium-screen-tops.html

Since it is mesh, the light should mostly pass through.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put that kit in my cart about an hr ago. I didn’t check out because I was wondering about feeding, having to take the entire lid off every time. But I seen you said a door but I’m not really following how you would do it unless you are talking maybe a little square that you could remove ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put that kit in my cart about an hr ago. I didn’t check out because I was wondering about feeding, having to take the entire lid off every time. But I seen you said a door but I’m not really following how you would do it unless you are talking maybe a little square that you could remove ?
Yup. I plan on buying some extra corner pieces to make a small square opening in the top front. Probably around 6"x6" centered on the tank. I will make a small square out of the same material to fit in that 6" square. I'll use something like these hinges to hold it in place with some type of latch on the front.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sugatsune-40mm-x-30mm-Stainless-Steel-Lift-Off-Cabinet-Hinge/50358698

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I follow you! Makes good sense I may go that same route. When do you plan on doing it? Maybe you can post me some pics to let me see how it works out for you?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I follow you! Makes good sense I may go that same route. When do you plan on doing it? Maybe you can post me some pics to let me see how it works out for you?
I'm hoping to get everything up and running some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The tank was delivered last week, which was over a month early. I haven't even started building the stand so that will determine when I need to have everything done by.

OP
OP
Teke Left

Teke Left

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok cool well I’m just now getting into my cycle so I still have some way to go, but If every thing goes as planned I’ll be adding my first fish right before Christmas. Maybe I can follow you along the way ... speaking of which I tried to follow you but I can’t figure out how to on this app maybe different on a computer?
What size tank did you just get?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok cool well I’m just now getting into my cycle so I still have some way to go, but If every thing goes as planned I’ll be adding my first fish right before Christmas. Maybe I can follow you along the way ... speaking of which I tried to follow you but I can’t figure out how to on this app maybe different on a computer?
What size tank did you just get?
I've never really figured out the follow thing. My new tank is the 187g system. The link is in my signature which you should be able to follow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back