OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The package the stands like that to cut cost. Its easier to include the duplicate white/black section and then send you the correct side panel & doors, rather than keeping two seperate main stand components in the warehouse. Its irritating, because they dont tell you that anywhere. I made a call to RedSea to figure out what the heck was going on when I first set up mine, and thats what I was told.

I envy you for having two reefers and looking to add a third. Those xxLs are looking nice, but Im having to constantly talk myself out of it.
Don't talk yourself out of it - embrace the inevitable - if they are priced right that is ;)

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Centerline,
I used the same cutting board material in the sump. I didn't want to drill any holes in the cabinet, and a standard 30" x 18" cutting board friction fits vertically on the side of the sump. Then we just bolted the reactors to it.
Pictures? How did you use it in the sump? I keep thinking that I could use some of it for my sump as well. I thought I might drill and tap it for thumb screws and then drill the base flanges on my skimmer stand and then my skimmer to keep a smaller footprint than the skimmer stand I'm using now. I needed a 4" riser and what I ordered is a pretty big adjustable plastic box where detritus collects. I run a pretty tight ship in my 450s sump as I have a LPS/SPS tank that gets a lot of food and dosed with bacteria and N0P0X so there is always bacterial flock that needs cleaning. Are all of your reactors attached to it?

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build.

? about your starboard. You siliconed just the bottom or the edges as well?

Bottom and edges. I tried a bare bottom tank a few years ago that I got lazy with when doing the bottom, neglecting the edges. Did not realize that every little bit of detritus that hit the bottom would end up under the starboard ;( . Eventually I had to add sand to the tank to keep stuff from accumulating under it. And that was the end of the bare bottom tank experiment. May want to check out how I did the edges - if you route the sharp edges off it makes it easier to fill it in with silicone and keep a nice neat factory edge.

Bao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking rocks.. So you order a 150lbs from BRS right?
all 150 lbs of Tonga Large 20" or Tonga Jumbo 30" in order to get those pieces?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking rocks.. So you order a 150lbs from BRS right?
all 150 lbs of Tonga Large 20" or Tonga Jumbo 30" in order to get those pieces?

Thanks.
That was the straight up Tonga Complex multibranch and a few lbs of the Tonga single branch - none of the large or jumbo stuff. I ordered more than I needed to get some interesting stuff because you never really know how the stuff was graded.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Build? Running?
Depressingly enough, no. My wife decided that we were going to tile the house and I thought it best wait until the work was done to avoid to complete the build. The installers will be here July the 7th to start ripping out the old floor and should be done with the install on the 13th. I hope to have everything up and running by the 16th. Can't believe its taking so long to get this up and running.

Salty-Sailor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depressingly enough, no. My wife decided that we were going to tile the house and I thought it best wait until the work was done to avoid to complete the build. The installers will be here July the 7th to start ripping out the old floor and should be done with the install on the 13th. I hope to have everything up and running by the 16th. Can't believe its taking so long to get this up and running.
totally understandable! im defiantly taking my time and is very difficult looking at a empty beautiful tank. i look forward to seeing it!

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally understandable! im defiantly taking my time and is very difficult looking at a empty beautiful tank. i look forward to seeing it!
Those tile guys can't get here fast enough for me! Now I just have to get up the courage to break down an existing sps / LPs tank I have that's in my home office. totally freaking me out. I have a tank at work that much of the stuff can live in for a while. Its a fairly stable tank but the params are so different. Makes me want to barf worrying about it. I was planning on preserving the colonies and rock but I just don't see that happening. So I'm going to frag as many large corals that I can and smaller frags were I cant. Do my best to acclimate perfectly and keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tile guys are finally done - thank you Home Depot for not ordering enough tile and then when the installer told you they needed 6 more boxes of tile ordering them 5 so I could wait a couple of more days for the last box of tile. Really? All in all that little 5 day install turned into 12 days thanks to Home Depot. On the upside the tile looks great. On the downside I spent the weekend cleaning leftover grout haze up. After spending hours using haze remover I finally opened all the windows, put box fans in a couple of them and used thinned muriatic acid and spot treated the tiles. Cut the cleaning time by 75%. If you do not have a respirator don't try this. That stuff is nasty if very effective. AND if you make the mistake of pouring ANY of it onto the grout you may find yourself with screwed up grout. Now my wife has me repainting ceilings and walls because the tile guys had to pull the trim. I'm down to a second coat in one bedroom and then I get to fix and repaint the trim. I'm pretty sure I can have all of this done by tomorrow night and then I CAN START WORKING ON MY OFFICE SO I CAN SET THE TANK UP.. aheeemmm... Sorry for the small outburst but really... Over the weekend Ill mount my lights to the tank, level it up and get the build going in earnest.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here it is Monday afternoon and I have a small punch list left of stuff to do in the house, paint touch up, replacing a chipped tile and a little bit of trim to redo and then off to my office I go to start setting up the Reefer. I need to paint the walls (clean and coverup salt creep from my last tank) and clean up the tile in there as well. So, by next weekend I should have some interesting stuff happening.

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great setup. I hope you've had some time to work on it.
Soooo... no. Once the tile was finished my wife decided to redo the bathrooms. The contractor told her two weeks tops. I grew up in a cabinet / boat shop and thought it an absurd amount of time to tile two baths. So three weeks later they were done. I had planned to get back on it this weekend but the latest Hurricane Irma tracking cohort show the storm hitting our house on Sunday morning. I do have a little Nuvo 20 I setup last week to house some chalice that were not doing very well in my office tank that looks pretty cool though. Took pictures and may do a build thread so I don't look like a total tool. I mean really, I started the 525 8-9 months ago and it still hasn't seen any water.

Nuvo 20 teaser
20170904_183759.jpg

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's one thing I've learned in this hobby is patience. It took me about 4-5 months to get water in my much smaller tank, so you're clearly not alone.

Also, I hope Irma won't hit you too hard ... All the best and good luck!

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Centerline any updates? Does the siliconed starboard really hold up/stay water tight and dry underneath??? I'm setting up my first tank and no water yet... been researching and buying equipment (and returning equipment for the better ones) for a while now. I like the starboard concept but am wondering if it's a common practice???

OP
OP
Centerline

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Centerline any updates? Does the siliconed starboard really hold up/stay water tight and dry underneath??? I'm setting up my first tank and no water yet... been researching and buying equipment (and returning equipment for the better ones) for a while now. I like the starboard concept but am wondering if it's a common practice???
Yup, the starboard really does work. I've done this on 4 different tanks now and aside from my first one where I didn't silicone the edges and had a bunch of detritus build up under it the rest have worked out just fine. If you decide to do this consider beveling the edges of the plastic to ensure you don't end up with a wonky edge. I use painter tape to ensure that I get a nice clean edge. I also use one of these caulk cleanup tools.
dap-paint-brushes-18570-64_1000.jpg

For 3 bucks it makes it a lot easier as you do have to run a pretty good bead to ensure you don't have any air bubbles. One other this that helps with cleanup that I don't do but should is to run some tape on the glass as well. I never have a helper and you will need someone to make sure the tape is straight and of course you wont be able to see that as you will be hanging over the tank applying the tape.

With respect to progress on the 525 - I have made some progress, rockwork is pretty much done - epoxyed and glassed together and has been curing in the sun for a couple of months now. I added another 20 amp 4 way to the wall the tanks on, hung the main light, have everything shimmed and dead level and I'm down to plumbing and installing a 400 cfm exhaust fan in the tank room to help with excessive C02 issues I have in the house (stucco with plasticized elastomeric paint - added a fresh coat last year and the C02 when right up - sealed the house right up). I have a few plumbing bits I need and will be ordering those this week as well as a little work in hiding the cables from the light. Here is a messy yet accurate representation of the state of affairs. Its an embarrassment to look at but I'm one of those people who are so busy with work that my personal projects and time get subsumed by it. None the less I am making more progress and as this is the slowest time of the year for us so I may be able to wrap up before long.

IMG_20180111_190708.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back