"Centerpiece" fish for 90/120 reef

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh.

So, any opinions on those small Tangs? Which one looks/acts best in person?

Anyone else have favorites amk g the reef safe wrasse's?
favorite reef safe wrasse is a radiant wrasse.
Never seen it touch my cuc at all.

Now they can be difficult with aggressive fish, and do not ship well. But after acclimated are no more difficult than any other fish in their genus.
If went this route buy at the lfs not online, make sure its eating and be the first fish added to your new system. They are sand sleepers, so will need a sand bed.
B7B137EE-B30A-4C66-9B2C-F9B0B74821F3.jpeg

Other fish is a pygmy yellow tail angel.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size I would stick with the bristletooth tangs. I had a Tomini that was quite laid back and got along with everyone in a 75 gal. Now I have a white tail, which is beautiful, but a complete jerk in 180 gal. Roll of the dice I think.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now they can be difficult with aggressive fish, and do not ship well. But after acclimated are no more difficult than any other fish in their genus.
If went this route buy at the lfs not online, make sure its eating and be the first fish added to your new system. They are sand sleepers, so will need a sand bed.

I already have my stock from my 54 in the system. But it's a very peaceful group this far.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size I would stick with the bristletooth tangs. I had a Tomini that was quite laid back and got along with everyone in a 75 gal. Now I have a white tail, which is beautiful, but a complete jerk in 180 gal. Roll of the dice I think.
I'm not a fan of the Tomini coloration. I'm thinking more kole or squaretail?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now your making me think about a foxface again! So 90 gal isn't too small?

Also, are all those wrasse reef safe ones? I'm a big crab/shrimp fan, so I don't want them dining on a very expensive meal.
Yeah these are all reef safe.
The one spot foxface will outgrow the tank eventually but should be fine for several years.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of watanabei angelfish. 100% reef safe

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second the Radiant wrasse harem (not easy to get establish), but I like Flameback Angel as the pymy angel. Get three Flameback. Consider a group (harem) of China Wrasse (not easy to get establish). Both of these wrasse are in the delicate side but will do very well once establish.
ChinaWrasse2020121703Male.jpg
Flameback2020102807.jpg
RadiantWrasse2021013101.jpg

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so let's see if I can get a few more refined suggestions, now that I have the system in place:

It's a 90 gallon invert, lps, anemone heavy, peaceful system.

I think for the "big" fish I want a small tang. My first choice is a squaretail bristletooth or yelloweye kole tang. Any experience on these two? Would one be better than the other?

I would also like one or two fairy wrasse that are not going to get nasty with my two flasher wrasse's, and are under $100. Any really colorful non-red suggestions. I'm thinking something like a Scott's fairy wrasse, yellow flanked, orange backed or exquisite fairy wrasse? Any opinions on those?
For smaller fish get like two dwarf angels they are beautiful

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the Genicanthus Angels? Reef safe, peaceful and super beautiful. I know the Bellus angels can be kept in pairs/small harems.

ETA: My exquisite fairy flared his fins and chased my McKosker's wrasse for a couple days, but now all is well. The exquisite was there first, however.
I’ve been looking everywhere for a female bellus but no luck, and McCoskers are beautiful. I like them more than the carpenters and mine eats everything

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back