Cespitularia looking smaller than normal

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cespitularia frag was doing well for the past couple of months, but recently it hasn't been extending during the day. Currently it still looks blue, but smaller. It's still firmly attached to the rock/is upright, it's just not opening up as much as it used to. I tested my alk and it was at 8.4 so I added some Reef Code A and B to bring it up a little. I also read that low iodine could cause this issue so I added some Seachem Iodide as well. All other corals (LPS and softies) are doing well. The only change I can think of is I moved a Kenya tree "upstream" of the Cespitularia, so I'm not sure if there's some type of chemical warfare going on? I am running carbon though so I figure this shouldn't be an issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moving kenyii May have released toxins. Most leathers do especially when disturbed.
chemipure blue will reduce toxins. Other factor may be insufficient lighting

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested as well. Mine was growing great for months - attached to the rock next to it, etc. Now it's all closed up and has been for almost 2 weeks. My phosphates were the only thing out of whack. I dosed some Phosphate E and completed a 30 gallon water change after 24 hours so we shall see if it perks back up.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving kenyii May have released toxins. Most leathers do especially when disturbed.
chemipure blue will reduce toxins. Other factor may be insufficient lighting
I think the lighting is sufficient, since it was doing fine for almost 2 months. I forgot to mention I am running carbon. I moved the Kenya away and also did a 30% WC and
added new carbon. Hopefully it bounces back

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested as well. Mine was growing great for months - attached to the rock next to it, etc. Now it's all closed up and has been for almost 2 weeks. My phosphates were the only thing out of whack. I dosed some Phosphate E and completed a 30 gallon water change after 24 hours so we shall see if it perks back up.
I just tested my phosphates and they were 0.04 and alk is 8.4 so I don’t know if there are any other parameters that could be upsetting them.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my two cents! but if I remember correctly Cespitularia are in the family Xeniidae maybe your tank is too clean for the little guy??? what are your nitrates at?

I never used to be able to keep pulsing Xenia but once I bumped up my nutrients they seemed to thrive!

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my two cents! but if I remember correctly Cespitularia are in the family Xeniidae maybe your tank is too clean for the little guy??? what are your nitrates at?

I never used to be able to keep pulsing Xenia but once I bumped up my nutrients they seemed to thrive!
Hmm I haven’t check my nitrates in a few weeks, but last time I did they were at 15ish ppm. I’ll test once I get home. I’ve also heard low pH/low iodine/low Mg can upset them so I’ll check those as well

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I haven’t check my nitrates in a few weeks, but last time I did they were at 15ish ppm. I’ll test once I get home. I’ve also heard low pH/low iodine/low Mg can upset them so I’ll check those as well

hmm 15ppm would definitely be more than enough for nutrition

oh also temp/salinity and calcium might help identify some issues

Personally, I wouldn't worry about pH unless ALL the other corals seem upset! (or it's sub 7.7)

Mg can often be forgotten if you don't need/do regular water changes but I have a feeling if it was low Mg a lot more corals would be upset/ you'd have a hard time balancing your Alk/Ca

I wish there was an affordable Iodine test kit just to see what your levels are without doing an ICP test! just be careful to not overdose as that can cause a whole other slew of issues.

and the only other thing I could think of is a little bit of chemical warfare like everyone else said! i had a heck of a time introducing a new leather into my aquarium. the older more established leather must've just hated the cut of his jib and before I knew it almost all my corals were upset! tossed in some carbon and did a 20% WC.

Took a few weeks of chemical warfare but they get along fine now!

So it may just be a waiting game!

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be looking at a phosphate issue. I would test it if possible. It will be interesting what results @Trouble1375 has with lowering the phosphate.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm 15ppm would definitely be more than enough for nutrition

oh also temp/salinity and calcium might help identify some issues

Personally, I wouldn't worry about pH unless ALL the other corals seem upset! (or it's sub 7.7)

Mg can often be forgotten if you don't need/do regular water changes but I have a feeling if it was low Mg a lot more corals would be upset/ you'd have a hard time balancing your Alk/Ca

I wish there was an affordable Iodine test kit just to see what your levels are without doing an ICP test! just be careful to not overdose as that can cause a whole other slew of issues.

and the only other thing I could think of is a little bit of chemical warfare like everyone else said! i had a heck of a time introducing a new leather into my aquarium. the older more established leather must've just hated the cut of his jib and before I knew it almost all my corals were upset! tossed in some carbon and did a 20% WC.

Took a few weeks of chemical warfare but they get along fine now!

So it may just be a waiting game!
It’s worth noting that I moved my Kenya to the opposite side of the tank to see if the Cespitularia would improve. Literally the next day I noticed that a Japanese toadstool near the Kenya tree closed up. I did a water change and move the Kenya tree again and no sooner I turn the pumps back on the toadstool opened back up. So I’m fairly certain at this point that it is chemical warfare. Is it likely that after some time the corals will get used to it? Or will it always be an issue?

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are 0.04 ppm which is good/acceptable from my understanding. Plus none of my other corals look upset.
Double check your reagents to make sure they aren't expired. I had some phosphate reagents expired by a month and they were WAY off. If you have a fuge, maintenance and time of day can affect test results as well.

Also, I would move away from the notion that corals will look bad under elevated phosphates. They won't be able to grow, but they will look fine. Soft corals can show this as shrinking, whereas stony and lps corals will show a lack of new skeletal growth.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my phosphates and they were 0.04 and alk is 8.4 so I don’t know if there are any other parameters that could be upsetting them.
my phosphates are usually around .15-.20 and nitrates right around 5. my phosphates had spiked to .75 - Found a dead spot with a ton of built up gunk when I did my water change in my DIY 29long sump that was designed around my DIY ATS - I rearranged the sump back to the original configuration to eliminate the dead spot so hopefully the phosphates will stay down - that was the only change when I saw them jump up was the redo of that sump so back to the old layout and hopefully stable phosphates again just means more glass cleaning to keep the algae on the scrubber and off the glass.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back