Chaeto damaging tank?

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So my chaeto has been growing very quickly, and every night I can see it producing a bunch of oxygen bubbles. I also added a flow pump to the chamber its in. However, when I went to harvest half of it, a huge cloudy mess went into the water when I stirred it up, and now my water is extremely cloudy. Any ideas as to what caused this in the chaeto? I am planning on doing a water change, should I shake out the rest of the chaeto? Please help my corals haven't been looking great lately and I think this is why.

OP
OP
D

DougiesREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I have filter sponge and floss before it. And yes I just rinsed it out and it was extremely broken. Should I be dosing iron?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need better mechanical filtration before hand.

If its the chaeto itself falling apart, check nitrate, phosphate, and if those are fine, consider something like chaetogro or two little fishies iron.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, if all parameters are fine, perhaps the cheato is too effective and is then starving and falling apart, either cut back the cheato, the light schedule or add iron
Sounds like you need better mechanical filtration before hand.

If its the chaeto itself falling apart, check nitrate, phosphate, and if those are fine, consider something like chaetogro or two little fishies iron.

Back