Chaeto Grow Lights

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got myself some chaeto. Due to budget and availability, I pilfered a 1200w light from my “tomatoes”, until I can source a proper chaeto light, as I understand it, it requires a slightly different spectrum from terrestrial plants. I have also noticed that most lights I see are in the single or double digit watts, namely the 18w IM Chaeto light I was looking at. Makes me wonder if this 1200w light is way too powerful and will burn the algae? Though my fuge is also massive, like 25 gallons.

So, will I kill my macro using this light, or is it fine to use in the meantime?

Suggestions for proper chaeto grow lights?

C8C406C5-09E3-42DB-8AD5-6EAC31C10C6F.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this light from Amazon and it does a great job of growing chaeto for me. I only have the single led version on a 14g fuge, but they have double and triple led versions also

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this in a $7 utility light fixture I also got from Home Depot . I have to CONSTANTLY remove chaeto, grows like a weed.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a true 1200w light? It really pulls 10 amps or is marketing? A lot of Amazon an other leds say outrageous numbers but you see in the details they don’t really have that output. A true 1200w light is pretty dang expensive and crazy hot.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this light from Amazon and it does a great job of growing chaeto for me. I only have the single led version on a 14g fuge, but they have double and triple led versions also

This is what I use, I have two, great light.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a true 1200w light? It really pulls 10 amps or is marketing? A lot of Amazon an other leds say outrageous numbers but you see in the details they don’t really have that output. A true 1200w light is pretty dang expensive and crazy hot.
I believe it means a 1200w equivalent. But it definitely gets hot. Way, way hotter than my 165w aquarium lights running at full blast.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it means a 1200w equivalent. But it definitely gets hot. Way, way hotter than my 165w aquarium lights running at full blast.
Yeah I wish they would give the exact details. If it’s 1200w equivalent then it’s probably fine if not a bit of overkill. Just as long as it doesn’t heat and cook the chaeto

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can get perfectly good lights from Lowes or Home Depot for under $20.
Clamp-on fixture and pretty much any led bulb in the 5k range with work.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just got some have 2 different set ups, as my previous light did not work well. I was told do not use a blue, white mixture, and now believe it. I don't like trashing manufacturers in the forum. So wont mention the make. The one I used grew algae like crazy in my sump making a mess. These 2 new ones work great straight white . The only downside to the one it wont mount on my rimmed sump. I had to get inventive but after a week no algae bloom. It is a Fluva Nano light 15 Watts and has an app to time them off. I did not download it yet as was watching performance. The other thing I got was a hang on box by Finnex. Great little thing. Its light is separate, and its own pump. Does not give light ratings but seems perfect Has option of blue , and white with separate switches. Both will not break the bank, and my Cheato is very happy

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow chaeto with just about any light. You don't have to get crazy or special. Just a screw-in daylight CFL or LED in a clamp-on reflector is fine.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one. It's too new to provide results, but I'm happy with it so far.

EDIT: My link isn't working ACKE LED Grow light 12w from Amazon.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one. It's too new to provide results, but I'm happy with it so far.

EDIT: My link isn't working ACKE LED Grow light 12w from Amazon.

@jda is spot on can grow with any light. I think it's the light but more the available nutrients in the tank. I used that same ACKE for years and has worked fine growing chaeto. It has fallen into the sump COUNTLESS times and has always worked without any issues. Solid light however it was a bit small for my sump. I would size according to the surface area of the chaeto mass and not necessarily watts as that is usually inflated by the vendors. The ACKE was fine, but my chaeto growth slowed down when the mass got too big and the light didn't spread more penetrate. I upgraded to a larger physical size 12x12 and boom significant overall growth.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda is spot on can grow with any light. I think it's the light but more the available nutrients in the tank. I used that same ACKE for years and has worked fine growing chaeto. It has fallen into the sump COUNTLESS times and has always worked without any issues. Solid light however it was a bit small for my sump. I would size according to the surface area of the chaeto mass and not necessarily watts as that is usually inflated by the vendors. The ACKE was fine, but my chaeto growth slowed down when the mass got too big and the light didn't spread more penetrate. I upgraded to a larger physical size 12x12 and boom significant overall growth.
I found myself that a lower light level ( white ), also a low flow level seems to work best. The opposite set up always resulted in it dying, and or falling apart

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back