Chaeto or Dragons Breath?

comically

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to put some macro algae into my sump but is there a difference between the two in terms of growth and nutrient export?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to put some macro algae into my sump but is there a difference between the two in terms of growth and nutrient export?
+1 Chaeto grows faster, rabbitfish eats harvested drag breath.

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never grown Chaeto, however Dragons Breath grows very very fast if lit properly and is much better looking. :)

I was wondering what light spectrum you use for the Dragons Breath? I’ve heard it’s a different spectrum from green macros, but don’t know what to use. Thanks!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what light spectrum you use for the Dragons Breath? I’ve heard it’s a different spectrum from green macros, but don’t know what to use. Thanks!
It does better in a whiter light.
I agree about the dragons breath and other red algae looking better in display fuge. Chaeto is probably faster grower.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the point of nutrient export, chaeto beats dragon breath hands dow. Considering exudates from macro, the Dragons Bteath is soft and fleshy and will put back more DOC into water column. I consider Dragons Breath an ornamental and Chaeto as utilitarian

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the point of nutrient export, chaeto beats dragon breath hands dow. Considering exudates from macro, the Dragons Bteath is soft and fleshy and will put back more DOC into water column. I consider Dragons Breath an ornamental and Chaeto as utilitarian
Interesting @Subsea
Could the extra DOC have an additional effect to decrease nutrient levels more than chaeto by carbon dosing the tank?

In my case this is not wanted because I am having to dose nutrients, but it may be a reason to change to some calcified green algaes rather than mostly dragonsbreath and red ogo in my display fuge.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use full spectrum... a little on the warm side.

image.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting @Subsea
Could the extra DOC have an additional effect to decrease nutrient levels more than chaeto by carbon dosing the tank?

In my case this is not wanted because I am having to dose nutrients, but it may be a reason to change to some calcified green algaes rather than mostly dragonsbreath and red ogo in my display fuge.

I am not familiar with your system, but carbon dosing multiplies bacteria which in turn consume
N & P and are exported by protein skimmer. I have not used a protein skimmer for the last 40 years. I prefer utilitarian algae which also grows live food in a refugium. So I can nutrient recycle and nutrient export as needed.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of chaeto and dragon's breath. The chaeto definitely grows faster and has almost choked the dragon's breath out. I like to add the dragon's breath to the display from time to time, so I'm setting aside an area just for it.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new build will be deeper than I want to reach front to back. My plan is to grow some macro in the back quarter of the DS. Was also thinking dragon's breathe, which would likewise provide bonus tang food. I can still keep chaeto in the fuge. Maybe I should mix the dragons breathe with some red ozo as well?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back