Chaeto placement

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm getting a bagful of chaeto (prob too much) for my IM NUVO 30 Long, and I was wondering where I could put the Chaeto? I believe I could get away with putting them in my back chamber because I have two AI Prime lights that send a decent amount of light into the rear chambers, but I'm not sure how much light Chaeto needs.

Where could I put Chaeto? All options are appreciated :)

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm getting a bagful of chaeto (prob too much) for my IM NUVO 30 Long, and I was wondering where I could put the Chaeto? I believe I could get away with putting them in my back chamber because I have two AI Prime lights that send a decent amount of light into the rear chambers, but I'm not sure how much light Chaeto needs.

Chaeto needs a different spectrum than corals. You really should think about a plant grow light for it.

Upvote 0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

The more you give it, the faster it will grow.

Upvote 0

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato will grow like mad with the Innovative Marine 9watt LED. I have it in my media basket with with a closed black acrylic cover. In literally 2 weeks it went from golf ball to ten is ball and my LFS gave me $10 credit, I came home with 5 gallons saltwater and $3 store credit.

1617680319535.png

Upvote 0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with the 9 w Tunze Eco Chic light which you can run underwater; may be too long for your set up however.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this. It works amazing, especially after I added a small maxijet pump to increase flow to my chaeto.

I like the price - but most people recommend 9 w and this one is 100w... is it too powerful? Also did you keep it running all the time or how did you set it on a timed schedule?

Upvote 0

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this. It works amazing, especially after I added a small maxijet pump to increase flow to my chaeto.

+1 I use this, grows my cheato at a rapid pace.

image.jpg

I also use this on my Biocube, works great as well. Had to put a strip of painter tape on it because it’s a little too powerful. But I also keep it like 1 inch away from the cheato.

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second link I sent, is 12w I run it like this on my Biocube, I connected it with Velcro.

Don’t really know the difference between a 9w and 12w light when it comes to cheato, all I can say is it works for me.

A66EBCE8-D66E-4E53-9470-414A309CC368.jpeg
Also I keep it running 24/7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second link I sent, is 12w I run it like this on my Biocube, I connected it with Velcro.

Don’t really know the difference between a 9w and 12w light when it comes to cheato, all I can say is it works for me.

A66EBCE8-D66E-4E53-9470-414A309CC368.jpeg
Also I keep it running 24/7
I would do this, but the back of central compartment is all black (no light enters or escapes). Is there a way around this?

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this, but the back of central compartment is all black (no light enters or escapes). Is there a way around this?
Might want to think about getting a submergible refug light, depending on the size of the opening in the AIO sump.

You can mount a light like the one I sent you, on the top. But not sure how much it will buy you once the cheato gets even a little thick.

How big of an area do you have back there?

Upvote 0
Back