Chaeto placement

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm getting a bagful of chaeto (prob too much) for my IM NUVO 30 Long, and I was wondering where I could put the Chaeto? I believe I could get away with putting them in my back chamber because I have two AI Prime lights that send a decent amount of light into the rear chambers, but I'm not sure how much light Chaeto needs.

Where could I put Chaeto? All options are appreciated :)

OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to think about getting a submergible refug light, depending on the size of the opening in the AIO sump.

You can mount a light like the one I sent you, on the top. But not sure how much it will buy you once the cheato gets even a little thick.

How big of an area do you have back there?
Its about ten inches by three inches

Upvote 0

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which normal refug light?
Really anything that will fit, that’s not crazy powerful. It’s just a “grow light”. Any light that can grow plants well will grow cheato.

My light is on sale if you want to hang it

ACKE LED Grow Lights Full Spectrum,Plant Lights,Growing Lamps 12W for Indoor Plants,Hydropoincs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really anything that will fit, that’s not crazy powerful. It’s just a “grow light”. Any light that can grow plants well will grow cheato.

My light is on sale if you want to hang it

ACKE LED Grow Lights Full Spectrum,Plant Lights,Growing Lamps 12W for Indoor Plants,Hydropoincs

I like this one more (cheaper price). If you wont mind me asking some questions...
How do you hang it/mount it? Is it included)
Does it work on a timer? How long do you use it and when?
I read that the cord isn't very long (about how long is it?)

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this one more (cheaper price). If you wont mind me asking some questions...
How do you hang it/mount it? Is it included)
Does it work on a timer? How long do you use it and when?
I read that the cord isn't very long (about how long is it?)
Mounting: The arm in the back can tighten so the light stays put. You can technically screw it into the wall and point the light where you want it. Or find a way to zip tie it to something, I don’t know your setup. (I don’t remember if mounting wire ca

Timer: No timer, I run it 24/7, cheato doesn’t need a sleep cycle. You can always run a wifi plug to any light you see fit.

cord length 6ft

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting: The arm in the back can tighten so the light stays put. You can technically screw it into the wall and point the light where you want it. Or find a way to zip tie it to something, I don’t know your setup. (I don’t remember if mounting wire ca

Timer: No timer, I run it 24/7, cheato doesn’t need a sleep cycle. You can always run a wifi plug to any light you see fit.

cord length 6ft
I assume you run in the the refugium? I don’t want it keeping the fish up or anything

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you run in the the refugium? I don’t want it keeping the fish up or anything
It’s attached to the back of the biocube, the fish don’t notice it. You can always get a wifi plug, I have a wifi plug on my larger tanks refug, I run it 7am to 9pm. That’s because it’s in my room and I don’t want to see the light.

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2, Wi-Fi Outlet works with Alexa, Echo and Google Home &IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified, 2-Pack

Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr DMMI how long did it take for you to see increased growth after adding the light and flow.
Within a month. The light alone wasn't making a huge difference. I had growth, but nothing crazy. Then I added the maxijet and it just exploded. It probably helps that my nutrients are super high (nitrates 50, phos 0.2) to help fight off dinos.

Upvote 0

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Been trying to find a small waterproof light for the Chaeto. It is placed in the 1st chamber in the middle section rack on my PM25. The tunze ref light is out of stock everywhere. I did find a small waterproof LED light on Amazon, but guessing it doesnt have the proper spectrum. Have it on a kasa timer for night time lighting. Using it for now. Thanks much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s attached to the back of the biocube, the fish don’t notice it. You can always get a wifi plug, I have a wifi plug on my larger tanks refug, I run it 7am to 9pm. That’s because it’s in my room and I don’t want to see the light.

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug HS103P2, Wi-Fi Outlet works with Alexa, Echo and Google Home &IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified, 2-Pack

Ok so this is my setup:
image.jpg
image.jpg

my current worries are
A) is the light too close to chaeto (it’s the one you recommended
B) is the light so close that it may over heat either the chaeto, the water, the sides of the tank, etc..?

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this is my setup:
image.jpg
image.jpg

my current worries are
A) is the light too close to chaeto (it’s the one you recommended
B) is the light so close that it may over heat either the chaeto, the water, the sides of the tank, etc..?
Good questions!

no the light you bought purposely runs cold, in fact it should have said that on the packaging.

This light is meant to be very close to the cheato. If you start see the cheato start to turn white, you can do what I did and put a piece of blue painter or tape to cover some of the light, and reduce its intensity. Or raise it up.

Edit: and looks like a perfect fit!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EvanDeVita

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good questions!

no the light you bought purposely runs cold, in fact it should have said that on the packaging.

This light is meant to be very close to the cheato. If you start see the cheato start to turn white, you can do what I did and put a piece of blue painter or tape to cover some of the light, and reduce its intensity. Or raise it up.

Edit: and looks like a perfect fit!!!
Ok awesome! I did notice that it says the light doesn’t overheat, but I wasn’t sure if I could trust that!

thanks for all your help Brady, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Back