Chaeto turning white - fast

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a ball of chaeto from LFS yesterday - I dipped it in Coral Revive - got a few bristle warms out from that on a 15 minute soak. I followed that with a 15 min RODI soak, and then put it in a fresh bucket of saltwater and gave it 12 hours of light. Today, I inspected it under bright light, and it looked pest free ,but Irepeated the process - as a safeguard, and then went to put it in the tank. I stuck a plant light to the side of the refugium. After 3 hours, the Chaeto is turning white along the outer perimeter.

I dosed it with Brightwell Chaetogro in hopes that it'll help just now.

What does this mean - too much light, or too strong lighting? The light is against the glass of the refuge.

Thanks

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be the shock of acclimating. When transplanted macros can take a few days to settle in.

If it continues to go translucent the RODI dip might have been too long and the cells broke down a bit.

TLC and it'll bounce back.

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I melted a ball of chaeto and saw the algaebarn guys a few weeks later at reefapalooza. As soon as I told him I did a freshwater dip he stopped me and said that’ll pretty much kill it every time.

bryan3536

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I melted a ball of chaeto and saw the algaebarn guys a few weeks later at reefapalooza. As soon as I told him I did a freshwater dip he stopped me and said that’ll pretty much kill it every time.
This guy said same thing:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back