Chaeto Turning White

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the refugium world. My Chaeto is turning white in some spots, but definitely has enough light. I run the AI Prime Fuge on 60% for a 10 hour photo period that was acclimated at 50% of that onward.

Secondly, I might not have enough flow, because I rigged up a baffle in my sump and it is not a water tight section. I try to flip the Chaeto every time I clean my filter floss, but now I’ve started flipping every night. I don’t want my Chaeto to crash.

Lastly, on the nutrients end of the spectrum. I definitely have enough nitrates, but I am not sure on the phosphates because the Hanna reagents are on back-order. I know that there has to be some type of nutrients, nitrates linger around 15-20 depending on my rate of feeding.

I need help trying to keep my Chaeto prospering to ensure nutrient reduction. Thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high up is the light mounted. The chaeto doesn't become "crispy" right?

Definitely find out the phosphate level. You can get a cheap test kit like the salifert one in the mean time.

What all do you dose in the tank (i.e. any trace elements)?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose some chaeto grow to help make sure it's getting enough nutrients. Made mine grow huge. Also if it is not tumbling you need to manually rotate it so all sided get some light. I do mine like every 4 or 5 days.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high up is the light mounted. The chaeto doesn't become "crispy" right?

Definitely find out the phosphate level. You can get a cheap test kit like the salifert one in the mean time.

What all do you dose in the tank (i.e. any trace elements)?
I do not dose and the light is 5-7 inches above the water.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose some chaeto grow to help make sure it's getting enough nutrients. Made mine grow huge. Also if it is not tumbling you need to manually rotate it so all sided get some light. I do mine like every 4 or 5 days.
I heard Chaeto grow can spawn hair algae tho :/

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not dose and the light is 5-7 inches above the water.

You might want to raise the light higher. If any of the chaeto gets crispy, that might be a sign of too intense of a light. I find that when chaeto dissolves something it needs tends to be lacking in the water (can't say that's the main reason, but I often see that happen i.e. too little nitrogen or phosphate, trace elements, etc. How often do you do water changes and how much? You might want to dose iron, chaeto grow, or similar. The big thing to know is the phosphate level

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to raise the light higher. How often do you do water changes and how much? You might want to dose iron, chaeto grow, or similar. The big thing to know is the phosphate level
I do a weekly 10% water change. My phosphates were around 0.03-.1 hovering in that range

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 82

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend I just bypass all of that and start with All For Reef?
If weekly water changes are maintaining nutrients balance and trace elements then you don't need to dose. An ICP test will tell you all your levels and recommend if dosing is needed. As the other poster mentioned if your chaeto is failing its due to a nutrients imbalance and or lighting.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If weekly water changes are maintaining nutrients balance and trace elements then you don't need to dose. An ICP test will tell you all your levels and recommend if dosing is needed. As the other poster mentioned if your chaeto is failing its due to a nutrients imbalance and or lighting.
Thank you.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

there's a good BRSTv video referencing Lou with Tropic Marin which dispels this misbelief that water changes replenish Trace Elements. Just something I learned recently and was surprised to discover

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a good BRSTv video referencing Lou with Tropic Marin which dispels this misbelief that water changes replenish Trace Elements. Just something I learned recently and was surprised to discover
Guess it would depend on how often and how much water percentage you change coupled with the mount of corals and fish in the tank. Obviously nano tanks much easier to replenish with water changes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back