Chaetomorpha Shortage?

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my new tank up; might fill today or tomorrow.

I will be running Chaeto in the fuge to home some pods and to export nutrients. It's set up with a big ol' Kessil grow light.

I intended on grabbing some from Algea Barn with some pods. Sold Out.
I then went to look at reefcleaners. Sold Out...
Onwards to LiveAquaria. Sold... Out...

Is CLEAN Chaeto that hard to find?!?

I'm sure I can find infested chaeto on the street corner. I don't want that; hence dry reef rock from reef cleaners and dry tropic eden reef flakes from premium aquatics.

Anyone else with a lead &/or know lead times? I added myself to the "notify" lists.

I might need to hold out now to start the tank until I know I can source. I planned on running the fuge about a week in once my Dr. Tims takes hold and my ammonia dosing shows good progress.

28h9ot.jpg

Where oh where has the Chaeto gone? Oh where oh where can it be...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I bought some a couple months ago, but you appear to be correct, everyone I know of that sells it is out.

Eh... wait a month or so. Stuff grows fast, under the right conditions, I'm sure it's just a temporary situation.

Did BRS do another video on the advantages of a Chaeto based refugeum? I must have missed it :)

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I was just wondering this myself. Just ordered a reactor and did the same searches you did.

RUSalty has some in stock. But their shipping is ridonculus.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know of anybody who has massive amounts of the stuff that has it clean. If you need it clean, then clean it yourself. Some of these operations have many 150g troughs full of the stuff. Do not assume that they know what is really in there. The street corner will work just fine for a seed - even some of them will tell you that it is clean, but theirs is not any more than the other people.

In a practical sense, I would not sweat this too much. Just do the best that you can. Unless you have a two-deep coral and invert QT system, everything will get into your tank that can... sometimes on the first frag plug or coral. You need consumers of the basics like bubble algae and aiptasia. You can dip for most flatworms, but some survive that as well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People pick through it with tweezers - I do not. You can use flatworm exit for flatworms. Quick bayer dip would probably be OK - I have never done this, but you could test it on a small portion - the stuff is pretty safe on anything without a nervous system.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my new tank up; might fill today or tomorrow.

I will be running Chaeto in the fuge to home some pods and to export nutrients. It's set up with a big ol' Kessil grow light.

I intended on grabbing some from Algea Barn with some pods. Sold Out.
I then went to look at reefcleaners. Sold Out...
Onwards to LiveAquaria. Sold... Out...

Is CLEAN Chaeto that hard to find?!?

I'm sure I can find infested chaeto on the street corner. I don't want that; hence dry reef rock from reef cleaners and dry tropic eden reef flakes from premium aquatics.

Anyone else with a lead &/or know lead times? I added myself to the "notify" lists.

I might need to hold out now to start the tank until I know I can source. I planned on running the fuge about a week in once my Dr. Tims takes hold and my ammonia dosing shows good progress.

Where oh where has the Chaeto gone? Oh where oh where can it be...

You don't need much to start. You could buy a small handful from anyone and then just carefully examine individual strands for pests. Once you find a few strands that appear to be free of pests, just toss the rest out and use the individual strands. Cheato grows so fast in the right conditions that you'll have handfuls of it in no time.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People still get aiptasia/pests from 'clean' chaeto... just something to keep in mind while you're looking.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot see them. That is the point. You can QT them for months and wait and see. ...or you can just do the best that you can and deal with them if/when they come. Flatworms are the only common chaeto hitchhiker that I do not like. You get beneficial ones like mini-brittle stars and pods, as well.

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some from Amazon (Aquaculture Farms). Placed order on the 13th. Received it today.
Thanks bud. I see them on Amazon now. Old thread but still. I'm running into the same issues as above; ordered the light, no chaeto yet. I see great reviews on Amazon by these guys, but only by one or two people total. Thanks for vetting.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back