Champtain's Red Sea Max Nano Build

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to get back into the hobby. I had a nano tank through college, but sold everything after I graduated (6 years ago).

I purchased a Red Sea Max Nano that I picked up last week. I've ordered a few things to get myself started that should be in by Friday. My current list includes:

Neptune ApexEL
Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (cheaper than the Apex display)
VorTech MP10QD
BRS 4 Stage RODI
Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater
CaribSea Life Rock Shapes
CaribSea Special Grade Sand
Red Sea DIY Mesh Top
The essentials (test kits, net, buckets, siphon, accudrip, etc)

I will eventually get the Neptune DOS (So I can dose 2 part and auto water exchanges) and a better ATO, but for now I can do without.

My stocking plans:
Pair of Helfrichi Firefish
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Fire Shrimp or Skunk Cleaner Shrip
Electric Blue Hermits (just because I think they look cool)
Cerith & Turbo Snails

Corals:
Mainly SPS and Zoas

Hopefully I remember how to do this, but it's nice having a little bigger budget than college.

6869BE2A-2A8D-4A5B-8BF3-7E6BE2A6D8AA.JPG

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you the best, the Max Nano is a beautiful tank and it looks great next to that sofa however you may consider putting a smaller frame piece of artwork on the wall instead of the one that is partially covered. Also you might have light and temperature issues which could affect the tank as it is next to that sliding door.

Also don't forget to post you build thread in the member tanks forum. ;)
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

Last edited:
OP
OP
champtain

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Max Nano is a beautiful tank and it looks great next to that sofa however you may consider putting a smaller frame piece of artwork on the wall instead of the one that is partially covered. Also you might have light and temperature issues which could affect the tank as it is next to that sliding door.

Hahaha the picture is getting moved, it was there before the tank. As for the door, I'm not too worried 99% of the time it's shut and the curtain is closed, just had it open to bring the tank inside. If the temperature does fluctuate I'll move it.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha the picture is getting moved, it was there before the tank. As for the door, I'm not too worried 99% of the time it's shut and the curtain is closed, just had it open to bring the tank inside. If the temperature does fluctuate I'll move it.

I had the same issue with a large poster that I had hanging on the wall where I placed my Reefer 250. :)
PS, it could be a pain in the butt to move it later once filled with water, fish & coral. What is located on the other side of the sofa?

OP
OP
champtain

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with a large poster that I had hanging on the wall where I placed my Reefer 250. :)
PS, it could be a pain in the butt to move it later once filled with water, fish & coral. What is located on the other side of the sofa?
A window (lol) you can see the curtains on the other side of the chair. It's a townhouse, so I really don't have a lot of options. I'm not worried about it, there's a tree line outside of the patio that blocks the sun from coming through the door, it just looks bright from the snow (from this never ending winter). We'll see how it goes I guess.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A window (lol) you can see the curtains on the other side of the chair. It's a townhouse, so I really don't have a lot of options. I'm not worried about it, there's a tree line outside of the patio that blocks the sun from coming through the door, it just looks bright from the snow (from this never ending winter). We'll see how it goes I guess.

I guess that you really don't have a choice. :(
Is it possible to move the sofa and tank a little to the right so the tank is centered on the wall between the door and the curtain? ;)

OP
OP
champtain

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm considering buying the Neptune ATK, has anyone used it with just the sensors without the float?

Also cutting a piece of cabinet grade plywood this weekend to use as a false wall in the stand to mount everything and hide the cables. Thinking of painting it white to match the stand and then use orange desk grommets to run wires through to match the Apex equipment.

I also ordered an LED strip off Amazon to put around the top of the cabinet.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it with the just the sensors--- took some tinkering to get it to work but it does work fairly well.

OP
OP
champtain

champtain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut some MDF board for a false wall to mount everything. I’m going to primer it tomorrow and maybe get a coat of paint on (depending on how many green beers I consume). Also Bought some 2” black grommets for the wires, figured I would go black grommets and put orange LED’s behind it.

CE579B63-D043-402B-AF29-D34FAA18C118.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back