Chances cleaner shrimp beat ich?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank got a bad case of ich like 5 months ago killing off all my fish besides a yellow watchman goby. During the outbreak the skunk cleaner shrimp was always on top of the goby picking something off him (i assume it was eating ich due to watchman gobies being slow fish)

Since the die off of my other fish my goby has not shown any signs of ich and the skunk cleaner shrimp leaves him alone.
What are the chances the shrimp eradicated the ich? I know it's probably not possible and ill still need to fallow my tank and treat the goby. I am considering making some salt water mollies to test for disease.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen any science on this so I would just say unknown. Not even sure what Cleaner Shrimp are actually eating...dead skin cells, some micro organisms...kind of unknown. Might be a good study for someone.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I'd put this in the technically possible but unlikely category but interested to hear others input.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its always been theory if they actually eat diseases off fish. I just found it interesting when the ich outbreak was in full swing the shrimp pinned the fish down and picked at its gills and skin like crazy all day every day. Once the disease killed all my fish a couple days later the shrimp slowed down on muching on the goby

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that Ich is still there.

But black mollies would be a good test.

Are you planning on quarantining all your new fish and treating with copper?If so, I would just bite the bullet and do the fallow period.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that Ich is still there.

But black mollies would be a good test.

Are you planning on quarantining all your new fish and treating with copper?If so, I would just bite the bullet and do the fallow period.
Yep. Gonna start treating fish before adding now. I lost 200$ clownfish and a wrasse because I "never had a disease before so what are the chances"

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt with copper power. Dig into the Pinned fish disease and treatment threads there is a ton of info some very smart folks have done the leg work for us.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I qt with copper power. Dig into the Pinned fish disease and treatment threads there is a ton of info some very smart folks have done the leg work for us.
I appreciate it. I hope i can catch this goby. He has a really annoying hiding spot. He doesn't even come out for food i have to hand feed him

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny just had a conversation with a microbiologist at local university who keeps fish...and he talked about the damage Copper does to healthy fish and cells in general. Treatment of a healthy acting and appearing fish seems like a risk to that fishes life for a possible negative outcome. We discussed the micro biome necessary for proper digestion and the health of the fish. The gut flora and fauna in a fish helps to control it's immunity to disease and by weakening that community you actually can cause death. Interesting conversation based on science I can barely grasp but have had experience that seems in line with the science. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny just had a conversation with a microbiologist at local university who keeps fish...and he talked about the damage Copper does to healthy fish and cells in general. Treatment of a healthy acting and appearing fish seems like a risk to that fishes life for a possible negative outcome. We discussed the micro biome necessary for proper digestion and the health of the fish.
I did read up and see copper is extremely stressful on the fishs' bodies some fish can't tolerate copper treatment at all while some handle it better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back