Changes in Fish behavior

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all
I have something I would like to discuss.
After many years away from the hobby the wife and I set up a new reef tank last march.
As we started it, all was good. Fish were active and out an about all the time.
We have 2 black and white clowns, two mandarins, 2 fire fish, a tail spoted blenny. Tank is IM SR80.
However, as time progressed the fish became more and more reclusive, to the point where we hardly saw our two fire fish for almost two months. We never saw any type of aggression.
At the end of last year the silicone on the back panel failed and we had to restart everything. We found the fire fish (skinny and looking deformed at the spine) under a rock still alive.
When we restarted the aquarium all became great again. All fish found their new hiding places but spent their time in the open. We also got a new and a very small pacific blue tang (to be rehoused later) that imidatly bounded with the clowns and spend all day with them.The fire fish fattened up extremely fast and no deformities could be see. And mostly, the fished hanged out in the middle of the aquarium together, eating like little pigs. However, a little over a month after restarting, the fish are slowly going back to be more reclusive. The fire fish hardly come out, even to eat, the pacific blue tang hides under the rocks if it sees us (I know its natural behavior for them) and even the clowns don't come so much for food (although they are out and about all day).
As I said before, 0 signs of aggression in the tank. The only fish that seem not to be affected by this are the mandarins (they just graze all day, oblivious of anything else).
I would expect the opposite behavior (hiding when large changes happen and slowly become more confident as time progresses).
As anybody experience this before? And if so, how did you dealt with it?
Any ideas of might be causing it?

Thank you all for any input.
Cheers
Kim

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed over time my Dotty-Back has begun to get some aggression. She chases after my firefish sometimes. I know they can be semi-aggressive but it's weird because she used to be so friendly with everyone and now shes the grump of the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters and time frames from when the fish are fine to when they start hiding out might help diagnose any issues.

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Michael. I used to breed dottybacks. As they mature, they can get super territorial. Tried my hand at multiple species of dottybaks and in some cases the males would kill the females.
On my specific case, I really haven't seen any aggression at all.

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cell. Thanks
All parameters have been stable from the start (even during the restart as we used the same rock and bioelements in the sump, no amonia, no nitrite and nitrate always below 5). Calcium around 380, magnesium around 1350 and alk around 7.7 (with minor variations over time). No new additions around the time of the changes, apart from the pacific blue tang, but it was also fine for a few weeks, before all fish slowly start changing their behavior. Also the changes seem to happen over a few weeks, as fish start to get more and more shy, and not sudden (from on day to the next) No other noticeable changes, apart from the restart, which actually seemed to help a lot.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I think its from lack of fish. Now that i have an emperor angelfish whos out all day, the other fish dont hide as much. Big show tanks have tons of fish. Saftey in numbers i guess.

Try putting a mirror on the glass. Watch what your fish do. Mine go crazy fighting their reflection. Dont recommend keeping it up all day though just to see the change.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
? stray electric ,do you have a ground probe,peel back cuticle on finger stick in tank if tingles poss prob

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I think its from lack of fish. Now that i have an emperor angelfish whos out all day, the other fish dont hide as much. Big show tanks have tons of fish. Saftey in numbers i guess.

Try putting a mirror on the glass. Watch what your fish do. Mine go crazy fighting their reflection. Dont recommend keeping it up all day though just to see the change.

Hi Cory
Thanks. I have been considering that since it first started last year, but was afraid they might just start to do the same.
Was considering a few anthias (dispar or ignitus) as i love them or maybe some blue green chromis, as both tend to stay in the water column. Any body else have tried this? Adding more fish to reduce stress on the remaining fish?
cheers

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? stray electric ,do you have a ground probe,peel back cuticle on finger stick in tank if tingles poss prob

Hi Fishguy. Thanks.
Haven't notice any (pretty sensitive to it and used as well due to my work), but I can check.
Doesn't really explain the improvement with the change. Same equipment used

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic of your tank?

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the point of adding one or a few additional fish. I added a sailfin tang and all of my fish became a little more active in the tank. Especially my blue throat trigger. He now swims most of the day and is very social with the others in the tank.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats are your water parameters? My no3 is maxed out lol.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that my fish are more active when my tank is more highly stocked. My guess is that they feel safer with other fish out around them. Have you thought of adding some wrasses?

OP
OP
KimG

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that my fish are more active when my tank is more highly stocked. My guess is that they feel safer with other fish out around them. Have you thought of adding some wrasses?
Hi. That was my idea as well. But Wanted to see others opinions.
I believe the problem is stray voltage. While I can't fill anything with my hands, the multimeter is measuring almost 90v they seem to be coming from my diy ato and diy scrubber ,(both running on 12v dc). For now I grounded the tank (volts went to 0) and now trying to figure why are they leaking so much voltage to the tank.
And wait to see if the fish react to the change
Thank you all for the help

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure amperage, thats the real killer. Microamps.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back