Changing out chaeto in refugium...should I try another type of microalgae?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Background first. I have been keeping aquariums for most of my life, well, I mean the first 8 or so years obviously my parents were the ones actually dealing with the upkeep, but you know what I mean. However, it has always been only freahwater aquariums. That all changed November 2018. A lfs I would visit to get live food for my larger fish or to get new fish was shutting down. So all their products were being sold for less than 50% their original price. And it just so happened that while I was there, they had only 2 Coarlife Biocube 16s left in stock. You're darn right I bought one right then and there (as well as the stand, some live sand, and a heater). This was the stary of my very first saltwater tank, which is also my first reef tank. And here we are, one year later:
Front:
20191130_200053.jpg

Left/side I see from couch(i see the front too, just not the opposite side):
20191130_200104.jpg

Right:
20191130_200058.jpg

Not too shabby, right?

Anyway, the reason for this post. The only real modification I made to the tank was that I replaced the media basket it came with, and switched it out for one from InTank so I could setup the middle chamber as a refugium. I am planning to switch out the old Chaeto for a new batch, as it is kinda all ugly and covered in something (not sure if it is red diatoms, or some sort of red algae. I will post a pic later after I get home from work).

So I was looking on the website @AlgaeBarn and thinking of ordering a new batch of Chaeto, but I saw they had some other microalgaes available as well, specifically Red Ogo, Sea Lettuce, and Pom Pom Gracilaria.

So my question is, should I switch to one of those instead of going with Chaeto again? What are others experience with all these microalgaes and which would you say works best?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all have worked but I find chaeto the easiest to work with. I only get that ugly slime stuff with not enough light or improper lighting.

OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all have worked but I find chaeto the easiest to work with. I only get that ugly slime stuff with not enough light or improper lighting.
I have a LED strip light hanging off the back I got off of Amazon. It grows the chaeto like crazy (Iiterally got rid of 2/3s of it last month, and when I did a water change this past Sunday - Dec 15 - it had all grown bag and completely filled up the media basket), but maybe I need to switch it out for the other one I have.
The one currently in use:
Screenshot_20191217-135405_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The one sitting in a drawer on my TV stand.
Screenshot_20191217-135424_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The top one is listed as being 6500K - 7500K, and the bottom one is listed as being 2800K - 3000K.

So should I switch the two lights out?

OP
OP
El_Guapo13

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a three pack from @AlgaeBarn and it's growing like crazy. I got the chaeto, red ogo, and sea lettuce. Its all growing like crazy :)
Don't think my mini fuge is big enough for all three Crabs. Not unless I make the whole biocube into a refugium lol

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a LED strip light hanging off the back I got off of Amazon. It grows the chaeto like crazy (Iiterally got rid of 2/3s of it last month, and when I did a water change this past Sunday - Dec 15 - it had all grown bag and completely filled up the media basket), but maybe I need to switch it out for the other one I have.
The one currently in use:
Screenshot_20191217-135405_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The one sitting in a drawer on my TV stand.
Screenshot_20191217-135424_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The top one is listed as being 6500K - 7500K, and the bottom one is listed as being 2800K - 3000K.

So should I switch the two lights out?

I'd do the 6500. When I use the white flood lights I get red slime with chaeto. When i use grow lights chaeto out competes it. 10 nitrate and .09 phos

Im not sure what is available on a smaller scale but the specs these lights run seems to do the best.
Taotronics grow bulb
UFO 150w
Kessil h380

There's a guy on here I bought chaeto from 2 baseball size portions for like $25. If interested pm me and I'll find the pm I ordered it.

Back