Changing Tanks! Need Advice!!!

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I am awaiting a new Waterbox Frag 105.4. In the meantime I will be QT my fish and treating them for ICH. (Now as for my old tank). I don't plan on using any substrate in the new reef tank but am going to use my Live rock. While I break down my tank what is the best way to store the Live rock and to get the ICH off of it while in the process of waiting for new tank to arrive? I obviously do not want to put the live rock in new tank if its still contaminated with ICH. Any Advice is much appreciated.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move live rock into brute bins of clean saltwater, store circulated and top open and heated for eighty days done.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large brute type container with a heater and powerhead/pump is all you really need to keep live rock going. Now, if you want to keep the corraline, you will need light, but I would just keep it dark. You may have some die off and need to do some water changes, but this will kill off most algae to start with nice live rock.

So, that is up to you. Lights may grow algae, but some of that is good. Dark will kill off alage and some of that may be what you want.

Then, wait 80 days to put into new tank and the qt of the rock should be done. You will have live rock, no parasites.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will you have the rock and fish totally separated? The 70 + days rule comes to mind in order to ensure non hatched eggs, cyst don't complete their life cycle with a fish host. If you go that route I don't think you'll need to do anything other than just maintain basic parameters and circulation in a Brute garbage can. I'm sure there are others with much more experience that can give you further guidance. Good luck

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still feed and do a water change like an aquarium, as often

live rock produces its own detritus so be cleaning it as normal export

to keep pods and worms fed, not for the bacteria they would never starve.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether you get new sand, or old sand, you’d rinse it for hours until it’s clear. The final rinse in ro water.

they put doesn’t need rinsing on the bag just to mess with you, no the bacteria are not a concern whatsoever. The live rocks have all that’s needed for even more fish than you carry now.

put only cloudless sand into the new tank, cloudless no matter the disturbance. snowglobe clean.

ammonia control is not what sets fish limits, our tanks can handle far more fish nh3 controlled than disease and oxygen and vital space needs permit.

with blast cleaned sand you can move rocks back over on clean sand, corals, everything but fish

and reef for eighty days not seventy

congrats, you have just rip cleaned your tank but for a valid reason, fallow reinstatement and tomont rejection.
the other two hundred jobs were home moves or cyano hammers

if this was a dinos battle and you did that, you’d likely win but there’s no permission from the crowd yet for dinos application. only mavericks do that

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making a never have to be invaded the rest of your reefing joke

:)

the series of disassemble/clean/reassemble has so many applications.

don’t shine full lights on a cleaned system, re ramp dimmer setting. that’s the whole trick for moving systems is to bone clean the sand before the new setup.

no need for brutes though once it’s all reassembled?

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no way to kill ICH without killing the rock? What about using ICH-X to treat rocks while stored? It only says could possibly stress some inverts but nothing stating would harm live rock???

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this killed the rock

your rocks were held in a brute, fed, water changed while you prepped the sand and the tank. You don’t even need brutes to fallow a system, you just remove fish for eighty days. The sand rip part was because a dirty sandbed never did anyone any good

by waiting eighty days being fed and water changed nothing happens to your system, we killed the sand not the rock.

your fish being held elsewhere starves out ich in the display, they say.

but you can still reef as normal there aren’t meds you put in the display for ich, its via starvation no host.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of this killed the rock

your rocks were held in a brute, fed, water changed while you prepped the sand and the tank. You don’t even need brutes to fallow a system, you just remove fish for eighty days. The sand rip part was because a dirty sandbed never did anyone any good
New Tank will have no sand going into. The rock will be the only thing going back into new tank along with fish. Just really dont want to wait 80 days! to get new set up going.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, yes that’s an easy rock transfer approach guaranteed to work with or without sand in the new tank either way.

I know of no better way than eighty days fallow. Use what they use in the fish disease forum

if any bottled shortcuts are beating fallow in fish retention % that’s where it’ll stand out

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you fix the pandemic in the world currently too? Thanks. I was going to do it, but since you already volunteered.

OP
OP
J_Gard88

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the highest temp I can keep my Live rock in without killing it? I know ICH cant live in higher temps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back