OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys thoughts on alk fir maximum growth? From what I've read here it's 7.5, but others have recorded double the CA/ALk consumption with DKH lvls of 10.
I don't know I have never ran that high I just do 8 because that what triton recommends I am actually trying to get it down to 7.5 ish

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys thoughts on alk fir maximum growth? From what I've read here it's 7.5, but others have recorded double the CA/ALk consumption with DKH lvls of 10.

Higher alkalinity generally leads to faster growth of many hard corals, assuming other nutritional and lighting needs are met.. :)

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I know that with constant dosing 24/7, my tank has a daily alk swing of 0.2-0.3 dKH that lags behind the photoperiod by about two hours. It basically swings from a high of around two hours after "lights on" to a low of about two hours after "lights out" (due to consumption), then swings back up all night (due to dosing when consumption is basically zero). I changed my dosing schedule to dose twice the rate as the 24/7 rate, but only during the period starting two hours after "lights on" until two hours after "lights off", and my alk readings leveled out quite nicely. Not perfectly flat, but just about.
I'm a little late to the party here... but do you dose Calc during this time as well, or do you dose over 24 hours?

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the party here... but do you dose Calc during this time as well, or do you dose over 24 hours?
Yes, I am dosing calcium as well during the same period that I'm dosing alkalinity. The alk and calcium doses are staggered.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that this is back up in my feed I switched from dosing 24 hours a day to 12 when the lights are on plus two hours after

this happened two days ago so I have not seen any diffence yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back