Chasing numbers… Sigh

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing reef aquaria long enough to know I'm not supposed to chase numbers; yet, I found myself doing that the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately, in the process, I've managed to kill 1 clam, while the other one looks like it's on its way out. Everything else seems to be looking all right. I think the clams were responding to changes.

My set up: I have a reefer 425 XL (88 g) and currently doing two-part calcium (Red Sea supplement) and alkalinity (Randy's reef recipe #2) dosing. Since magnesium always stays pretty steady, I found no need to dose it. I also have an automatic water change that occurs steadily throughout the week, so no big chemistry changes from that. I'm not dosing trace minerals either (Coral color is pretty good). My PH has remained normal (8.1-8.4). Salt: 1.025-1.026. Nutrients are also pretty low. Nitrates: 5; nitrites 0.2; and ammonia 0.1-0.15

My problem: For some reason, the last couple weeks calcium has gone up and down, from 350 to 500, seemingly all over the map. Both that and my alkalinity have remained relatively stable, though I monitor them both daily. Still, no matter what I do, the numbers keep flying in different directions. I'll add some alkalinity and it will still go down, so I add some more, inching up the dose a little bit each day (0.4-3.0 mL max/day). Then, all of a sudden it jumps 1 dKH, from 7.2-8.2. Neither Alkalinity nor calcium seem to be falling into sync.

My question: Should I ignore the day-to-day changes just continually dose a steady amount? Or, should I respond to the day-to-day changes by slightly changing in response to these elements?

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have some old testing kit chemicals ?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely a testing issue. Ca is unlikely to be moving around that much. Id dose balanced alkalinity and Ca supplements while you figure out what’s up with Ca testing. You really only need to test Ca occasionally. Testing more often just leads to chasing the number around.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I tested my magnesium again this evening. It's at 1160. According to 2 different reef calculators, to get to 1250, I need to add about 300 mL of magnesium solution (Red Sea), then something similar to that to get up to 1350. Does that sound normal? Seems like an awful lot of solution

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I tested my magnesium again this evening. It's at 1160. According to 2 different reef calculators, to get to 1250, I need to add about 300 mL of magnesium solution (Red Sea), then something similar to that to get up to 1350. Does that sound normal? Seems like an awful lot of solution

Yep that sounds right. Limit your increases to 100ppm per day. While bumping it up keep an eye on the Alkalinity and calcium and watch how they react.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back