Chat GPT for Dosing Calculations

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give this a go to see how it would get on and to see if I could use it for sodium hydroxide calculations for which an online calculator doesn't appear to exist.. I thought I'd start off with something I could compare against. It failed, right?

I want to make a solution of 1 litre that has a concentration of 5000dkh. I want to use sodium carbonate.

To make a solution of 1 liter with a concentration of 5000 dKH using sodium carbonate, you will need to calculate the amount of sodium carbonate needed to achieve this concentration.

The formula for calculating the amount of sodium carbonate required is as follows:

Mass of Sodium Carbonate (in grams) = Desired Concentration (in dKH) × Water Volume (in liters) × 0.1

Using this formula, we can calculate the mass of sodium carbonate required as follows:

Mass of Sodium Carbonate = 5000 dKH × 1 liter × 0.1 = 500 grams

Therefore, to make a solution of 1 liter with a concentration of 5000 dKH using sodium carbonate, you will need 500 grams of sodium carbonate. Keep in mind that it is important to add the sodium carbonate slowly and carefully to the water while stirring, to avoid a sudden increase in pH and other issues.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather work out the formulas myself than to trust chatgpt on that. Even if it works the first 5 times, you'll never know if the next time it won't make up a lie on the spot. It is not a calculator

And yeah what it told you is just bogus

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd give this a go to see how it would get on and to see if I could use it for sodium hydroxide calculations for which an online calculator doesn't appear to exist.. I thought I'd start off with something I could compare against. It failed, right?

I want to make a solution of 1 litre that has a concentration of 5000dkh. I want to use sodium carbonate.

To make a solution of 1 liter with a concentration of 5000 dKH using sodium carbonate, you will need to calculate the amount of sodium carbonate needed to achieve this concentration.

The formula for calculating the amount of sodium carbonate required is as follows:

Mass of Sodium Carbonate (in grams) = Desired Concentration (in dKH) × Water Volume (in liters) × 0.1

Using this formula, we can calculate the mass of sodium carbonate required as follows:

Mass of Sodium Carbonate = 5000 dKH × 1 liter × 0.1 = 500 grams

Therefore, to make a solution of 1 liter with a concentration of 5000 dKH using sodium carbonate, you will need 500 grams of sodium carbonate. Keep in mind that it is important to add the sodium carbonate slowly and carefully to the water while stirring, to avoid a sudden increase in pH and other issues.
A couple weeks back chatgpt was telling me a person who was sold a business for $500,000 when the market value is $1,000,000 could sue because he was defrauded and sold the business for more than it was worth (apparently 500,000>1,000,000). Save your reef, don't use chatgpt to do math.

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was more of a test and then example of how to not trust everything as gospel that chat GPT comes out with. I had more hopes it would get chemistry questions correct rather than philosophical. Interesting all the same.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed ChatGPT for reef chemistry accuracy a while back, and it got some things right and some wrong.

It is curious that it sometimes doesn't understand which of two numbers is larger. That's not a mistake I would have expected.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual calculator tells you it's 94.6 grams.

(I got a similar nonsense answer - 10x too much - asking it how much sodium nitrate pellets to get me +2ppm NO3)

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely expected better for calculations. Sure it will improve in time.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty amazing what it can do...

I've played around with it from a software architects perspective and also from somebody who has other businesses that rely on content. Biggest pitfall is not being up to date.

That being said, I can really see lots of jobs that will be in danger from AI. Didn't really buy into the hype until I messed with it.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in software/web development and we have been playing with the various chatAIs coming out a lot more as of late. There are some open source ones which have access to multitudes more data than the first iteration of chatGPT. However we have noticed it can be really useful if you as a user know how to ask it the right question the 'right way'. You might experiment with asking the same question a few different ways and see how it responds.

There is a huge expanse of possibilities for AI to assist with things like this, however as everyone has noted it often tends to combine results in ways that are not possible or correct - still a long way to go until terminator lol

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I kinda thought that when I was typing out my question but I've tried a few different ways with the same result. What are the other chat AI's worth looking at?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed ChatGPT for reef chemistry accuracy a while back, and it got some things right and some wrong.

It is curious that it sometimes doesn't understand which of two numbers is larger. That's not a mistake I would have expected.

That is because it is not ‘smart’. It assembles language based on patterns. The frog butt hat walking on strawberry tires is not a pattern it recognizes, though it can match those words to other patterns. It is like a big Mad Libs game that determines answers by filling in blanks using pattern recognition. Super powerful but not smart.

Interesting and scary at the same time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back