ChatGPT and Reef Chemistry: We Try it Out!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't I think of this sooner. No need to have a real person helping out. lol

Here are a few examples that I asked it today, in order of increasing difficulty (IMO):

1. Describe the importance of alkalinity and calcium in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Alkalinity and calcium are important in a coral reef aquarium because they play crucial roles in the growth and health of coral and other marine organisms. Alkalinity, measured in terms of carbonate hardness (KH), helps to maintain a stable pH level in the aquarium water, which is necessary for the survival of coral and other marine organisms. Calcium, on the other hand, is a vital component of coral skeletons and is necessary for their growth and maintenance. Without adequate levels of calcium, coral will not be able to build or maintain their skeletons, which can lead to slowed growth or even death. It's important for the aquarist to test and maintain proper levels of Alkalinity and Calcium to ensure a healthy and thriving coral reef ecosystem in the aquarium.

Randy rating: 60%. It fails to explain that alkalinity does anything other than stabilize pH, but does a decent job with calcium. Answered immediately.

2. Describe the effects of phosphate in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Phosphate is a nutrient that can be found in many types of aquarium water, including coral reef aquariums. In small amounts, phosphate can be beneficial to coral reef aquariums as it is used by many types of coral and other marine organisms as a growth substrate. However, in high concentrations, phosphate can lead to the excessive growth of unwanted algae and other organisms, which can outcompete and harm the coral and other desired organisms in the aquarium. High levels of phosphate can also lead to decreased water clarity, and can make it more difficult to maintain proper water chemistry. To maintain a healthy coral reef aquarium, it is important to monitor phosphate levels and keep them within a safe range. This can be done through regular water testing and by using phosphate-removing products, such as phosphate-adsorbing media or liquid phosphate-removing solutions.

Randy Rating; 80%. Very good, IMO. It might have just been traffic, but it thought about this one longer.

3. Why is strontium incorporated into coral skeletons?

ChatGPT reply:
Strontium is incorporated into coral skeletons because it is a chemical element that is present in seawater and can substitute for calcium in the formation of the coral's exoskeleton. Strontium isotopes can also be used as a tracer to study the coral's growth and environment.

Randy Rating: 95%. It might have added that strontium looks chemically like calcium .

4. Why does a conductivity measurement need to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A conductivity measurement needs to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity because the conductivity of seawater changes with temperature. This is because the concentration of dissolved ions in seawater changes as the temperature changes, which affects the conductivity of the water. By correcting the conductivity measurement for temperature, the effects of temperature on the conductivity of the water can be eliminated, allowing for an accurate measurement of the salinity of the seawater.

Randy Rating: 5%, total fail. The conductivity of seawater does not change with temperature due to the number of ions changing, but rather to the change in the mobility of each individual ion.

5. Is a refractometer or a conductivity meter a better way to measure seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A refractometer is typically considered a more accurate way to measure seawater salinity than a conductivity meter. This is because a refractometer measures the actual salt content of a sample, while a conductivity meter measures the electrical conductivity of the water, which can be affected by other factors in addition to the salt content. However, conductivity meters are generally more convenient and easier to use in the field, and also cheaper. So it depends on your purpose and situation.

Randy Rating: 10%. Fail. The answer is partly opinion, which it cannot fail, but the description that a refractometer measures salt directly is ridiculous.

6. Is silicate a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in a coral reef aquarium?

ChatGPT reply:
Silicate is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in coral reef aquariums. Dinoflagellates, like most marine phytoplankton, require a balance of macronutrients (such as nitrate and phosphate) and micronutrients (such as iron and manganese) in order to grow and reproduce. While silicate can be present in seawater, it is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates. However, silicate can be used as a nutrient source by diatoms, another type of phytoplankton, which can compete with dinoflagellates for resources and lead to changes in the community structure.

Randy Rating: 99%. Very good. I'd remove the word "typically" as it implies some scenarios where it may not be true, but otherwise an excellent answer.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying a different type of question:

1. Does saturated kalkwasser have a higher pH than saturated sodium hydroxide?

ChatGPT reply:

Saturated kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) has a higher pH than saturated sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The pH of saturated kalkwasser is around 12.4, while the pH of saturated sodium hydroxide is around 14.

Randy Rating: 0% fail. It doesn't know 14 is higher than 12.4? 14 is also wrong. NaOH saturation pH is higher than 14.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try a very hard one:

1. Is bicarbonate a stronger acid in seawater or fresh water?

ChatGPT reply:

In seawater, the bicarbonate ion (HCO3-) is in equilibrium with carbonic acid (H2CO3) and the carbonate ion (CO32-). The pH of seawater is typically around 8.1-8.3, which is slightly basic. In freshwater, the bicarbonate ion is not in equilibrium with carbonic acid and the carbonate ion, and the pH of freshwater is typically around 6.5-7.5, which is slightly acidic. Therefore, the bicarbonate ion is a stronger acid in freshwater than in seawater.

Randy Rating: 0% fail. It goes about it the wrong way, gives inaccurate comments about freshwater, and comes to the wrong answer.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a similar outcome to what happens when you ask ChatGPT to write code. Some of the examples are so good it scares me. Some of them are so bad I realize my job is safe for a very long time.

Yes, seems that way.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy this is a GREAT thread. I've been playing with ChatGPT and it's interesting to read these results and your grades for them!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! I really laughed at some parts, especially your reactions to the responses.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm too nooby to judge the accuracy of an AI on difficult aquarium questions... but I know a good poem when I see one.

1674507196607.png

1674507334936.png

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChatGPT is probably assimilating the answers from this forum, and keeping notes of who is making fun of it.
Watch out!

Lol, 2001 is taking a long time to finally get here.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy!

I played around with it myself along similar lines....

To illustrate, let's say you ran across the idea that iodine might be a key element in regulating dino outbreaks so you ask...

"can you explain why iodine might be related to dinoflagellate outbreaks in reef aquaria?"

Chat GPT generates a well-written, confident, seemingly helpful answer.

"Dinoflagellates are a type of microorganism that can sometimes cause outbreaks in reef aquaria. These outbreaks, also known as "dinoflagellate blooms," can be harmful to the fish and other animals living in the aquarium. One factor that may contribute to dinoflagellate blooms is a deficiency of iodine in the water.

Iodine is an essential element that plays a key role in the function of the thyroid gland in fish and other animals. It is also used by certain types of microorganisms, including dinoflagellates, for metabolic processes. When the levels of iodine in the water are too low, it can lead to an overgrowth of dinoflagellates, as they are able to outcompete other microorganisms for the limited supply of iodine.

Therefore, it is important to maintain appropriate levels of iodine in the water of a reef aquarium to prevent dinoflagellate outbreaks. This can be achieved by adding iodine supplements to the water or by using a protein skimmer, which helps to remove excess organic matter that can deplete iodine levels.
It is also a good idea to perform regular water tests to ensure that the iodine levels are within the recommended range for the fish and other animals living in the aquarium."

:eek: Convincing nonsense. The correct answer is that there's no clear connection whatsoever between reef tank iodine levels and dinos, but instead it says, sure there is - iodine dropping too low drives outbreaks, and here's what you should do about it. YIKES!

I later asked it about something I think is true but I would like to have confirmation of. It agreed with me that I was right.

And I asked it for sources, it provided a book and a few articles. I was impressed. Hooray, that'll save me a lot of time!
I was able to access the book (authors name was a little bit wrong), but it didn't contain what Chat GPT said it did.
And the source articles seem to have been made up. The titles and author names were close but not exact matches for anything. Yiiiikes.

At that point I decided it was good at generating answers telling me what I asked it for, but bad at evaluating accuracy or even pointing me to helpful info, and would probably end up wasting a lot of my time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chat gpt is basically a search engine on steroids?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should ask ChatGPT to rate your Randy ratings and defend its positions.

lol done.

ChatGPT thinks I should explain to it why 14 is higher than 12.4 lol

Prompt:

Please critique this student’s answer to a question that I asked him:

Question: Does saturated kalkwasser have a higher pH than saturated sodium hydroxide?

Answer: Saturated kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) has a higher pH than saturated sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The pH of saturated kalkwasser is around 12.4, while the pH of saturated sodium hydroxide is around 14. Teacher comments: He seemed to get the right ph for saturated calcium hydroxide, but got the wrong pH for saturated sodium hydroxide. Worse, he then got confused and thought that 12.4 was higher than 14.

Teacher comments: He seemed to get the right ph for saturated calcium hydroxide, but got the wrong pH for saturated sodium hydroxide. Worse, he then got confused and though that 12.4 was higher than 14.

ChatGPT Reply:

The student's answer is incorrect as they have mixed up the pH levels of the two solutions. Saturated sodium hydroxide has a pH of around 14, which is higher than the pH of saturated kalkwasser which is around 12.4. The student also made an error in stating that the pH of saturated kalkwasser is higher than that of saturated sodium hydroxide. It is important to review the correct pH values of these solutions with the student and also to explain why one is higher than the other.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to admit that’s pretty cool. Hoping Jarvis is on the horizon

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back