ChatGPT and Reef Chemistry: We Try it Out!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot put 100% trust into it. Sometimes they will fail you...

Sinking Season 4 GIF by The Office

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone is working on a reef AI, and it is discussed here:

I asked it some of the same questions as ChatGPT here and it gave shorter responses and got some right and some wrong, but it did have one especially interesting response.

I asked it the following:

Q: does Brightwell Boost pH+ raise alkalinity in an aquarium?

A: Yes, Brightwell Boost pH+ can raise the alkalinity in an aquarium. It is designed to raise pH and alkalinity levels, helping to create a more balanced and healthy environment for your fish.
Cl

Which is an accurate response, despite the fact that Brightwell falsely claims otherwise:

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)"

Brightwell Aquatics - Boost pH+
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I proceeded to ask ChatGPT the same question. Got an answer that is neither accurate, nor a mimic of the Brightwell info:

Q: does Brightwell Boost pH+ raise alkalinity in an aquarium?

A:
Brightwell Boost pH+ is designed to raise the pH level of aquarium water. While it may also slightly increase the alkalinity of the water, it is not specifically designed to do so. However, if your aquarium water has a low pH level, using Brightwell Boost pH+ may indirectly raise the alkalinity of the water by allowing the buffering capacity of the water to increase.

It's important to note that maintaining proper pH and alkalinity levels in an aquarium is crucial for the health of aquatic life. Sudden changes in pH or alkalinity can cause stress and even death in fish and other aquatic creatures. It's always best to test your aquarium water regularly and make gradual adjustments as needed to maintain a stable and healthy environment for your aquatic pets.

It's like it couldn't decide between conflicting info (it does or it does not) and so picked a middle ground where it does a little bit. lol

aquacalc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them are so bad I realize my job is safe for a very long time.
I've had the same experience with code, aquaculture, and especially math questions.

I've run through a few tutorials on Prompt Engineering (PE), which I learned is now a "thing" and apparently a sought-after skill, and that greatly improved the responses I got, especially for math/word problems.

Here's a link to a free PE short course on how to talk to a ChatBot.

Last edited:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Many thanks for your reality check on these chat entities! Your reviews, are both a real hoot, and are also really worth the time any reefer puts into reading and understanding them!

Thanks again,
Bob

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't I think of this sooner. No need to have a real person helping out. lol

Here are a few examples that I asked it today, in order of increasing difficulty (IMO):

1. Describe the importance of alkalinity and calcium in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Alkalinity and calcium are important in a coral reef aquarium because they play crucial roles in the growth and health of coral and other marine organisms. Alkalinity, measured in terms of carbonate hardness (KH), helps to maintain a stable pH level in the aquarium water, which is necessary for the survival of coral and other marine organisms. Calcium, on the other hand, is a vital component of coral skeletons and is necessary for their growth and maintenance. Without adequate levels of calcium, coral will not be able to build or maintain their skeletons, which can lead to slowed growth or even death. It's important for the aquarist to test and maintain proper levels of Alkalinity and Calcium to ensure a healthy and thriving coral reef ecosystem in the aquarium.

Randy rating: 60%. It fails to explain that alkalinity does anything other than stabilize pH, but does a decent job with calcium. Answered immediately.

2. Describe the effects of phosphate in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Phosphate is a nutrient that can be found in many types of aquarium water, including coral reef aquariums. In small amounts, phosphate can be beneficial to coral reef aquariums as it is used by many types of coral and other marine organisms as a growth substrate. However, in high concentrations, phosphate can lead to the excessive growth of unwanted algae and other organisms, which can outcompete and harm the coral and other desired organisms in the aquarium. High levels of phosphate can also lead to decreased water clarity, and can make it more difficult to maintain proper water chemistry. To maintain a healthy coral reef aquarium, it is important to monitor phosphate levels and keep them within a safe range. This can be done through regular water testing and by using phosphate-removing products, such as phosphate-adsorbing media or liquid phosphate-removing solutions.

Randy Rating; 80%. Very good, IMO. It might have just been traffic, but it thought about this one longer.

3. Why is strontium incorporated into coral skeletons?

ChatGPT reply:
Strontium is incorporated into coral skeletons because it is a chemical element that is present in seawater and can substitute for calcium in the formation of the coral's exoskeleton. Strontium isotopes can also be used as a tracer to study the coral's growth and environment.

Randy Rating: 95%. It might have added that strontium looks chemically like calcium .

4. Why does a conductivity measurement need to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A conductivity measurement needs to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity because the conductivity of seawater changes with temperature. This is because the concentration of dissolved ions in seawater changes as the temperature changes, which affects the conductivity of the water. By correcting the conductivity measurement for temperature, the effects of temperature on the conductivity of the water can be eliminated, allowing for an accurate measurement of the salinity of the seawater.

Randy Rating: 5%, total fail. The conductivity of seawater does not change with temperature due to the number of ions changing, but rather to the change in the mobility of each individual ion.

5. Is a refractometer or a conductivity meter a better way to measure seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A refractometer is typically considered a more accurate way to measure seawater salinity than a conductivity meter. This is because a refractometer measures the actual salt content of a sample, while a conductivity meter measures the electrical conductivity of the water, which can be affected by other factors in addition to the salt content. However, conductivity meters are generally more convenient and easier to use in the field, and also cheaper. So it depends on your purpose and situation.

Randy Rating: 10%. Fail. The answer is partly opinion, which it cannot fail, but the description that a refractometer measures salt directly is ridiculous.

6. Is silicate a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in a coral reef aquarium?

ChatGPT reply:
Silicate is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in coral reef aquariums. Dinoflagellates, like most marine phytoplankton, require a balance of macronutrients (such as nitrate and phosphate) and micronutrients (such as iron and manganese) in order to grow and reproduce. While silicate can be present in seawater, it is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates. However, silicate can be used as a nutrient source by diatoms, another type of phytoplankton, which can compete with dinoflagellates for resources and lead to changes in the community structure.

Randy Rating: 99%. Very good. I'd remove the word "typically" as it implies some scenarios where it may not be true, but otherwise an excellent answer.
I literally did the same thing lol

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building a Reef Aquarium Chatbot with GPT-3 with contents of my favorite youtube channels, just for fun, and yesterday when Open AI released the ChatGPT API, I immediately migrated to it with some amazing results.

The program allows me to feed information to improve the answers that ChatGPT usually struggles with, such as the some of the examples posted here earlier.
Example o information I feed into the AI:
  • Calcium chloride: To raise 50 ppm of Calcium in 100 liters, 18.3 grams of Calcium chloride needs to be dosed.
  • Randy's Recipe #1: To raise 50 ppm of Calcium in 100 liters, 135.1 ml of the calcium solution from Recipe #1 needs to be dosed.
  • Randy's Recipe #2: To raise 50 ppm of Calcium in 100 liters, 269.5 ml of the calcium solution from Recipe #2 needs to be dosed.
Which in turn, gives the AI enough information to answer it accurately. Eg:

> Prompt: How much Calcium Chloride is required to raise 25 ppm of Calcium in 500 litres of seawater?
> Answer: Well, well, well, looks like someone needs a basic lesson in chemistry and math. To raise 25 ppm of Calcium in 500 liters of seawater, you would need to dose 45.75 grams of Calcium Chloride. Don't be lazy and do the math yourself next time, partner!

> Prompt: How much of Randy's Recipe #1 is needed to raise 10 ppm of calcium in 100 liters?
> Answer: Seriously, are you even trying? To raise 10 ppm of calcium in 100 liters of seawater using Randy's Recipe #1, you would need to dose 27.02 ml of the solution. But like I said before, make sure to check your current calcium level first and don't forget to adjust accordingly. And if you're not familiar with Randy's Recipes, then you better start studying, or else your corals will suffer the consequences.

As you might have noticed, the AI is instructed to reply with a bit of rudeness and humor, just to make it more fun :)

Once this ChatBot is more stable and secure I will share it here.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChatGPT's chemistry calculations are completely off the grid. Here's one example (I especially like that it believes "18.2 mg/L is the phosphate content of potassium monophosphate"):

Q:
How many milligrams of potassium monophosphate should I add to a 250 liter aquarium to increase phosphate by 0.1 ppm?

A:
To calculate how many milligrams of potassium monophosphate to add to a 250 liter aquarium to increase phosphate by 0.1 ppm, we need to know the molecular weight of potassium monophosphate and the formula to calculate the amount needed.

The molecular weight of potassium monophosphate is 136.09 g/mol.

The formula to calculate the amount of potassium monophosphate needed to increase phosphate by a given amount is:

mass of potassium monophosphate = (target increase in phosphate in ppm) x (water volume in liters) x (1 mg/L) / (phosphate content of potassium monophosphate in mg/L)

So, plugging in the values we have:

mass of potassium monophosphate = (0.1 ppm) x (250 L) x (1 mg/L) / (18.2 mg/L)

where 18.2 mg/L is the phosphate content of potassium monophosphate.

Simplifying:

mass of potassium monophosphate = 136.74 mg

Therefore, you should add approximately 137 mg of potassium monophosphate to your 250 liter aquarium to increase phosphate by 0.1 ppm.

Q: Why do you believe that 18.2 mg/L is the phosphate content of potassium monophosphate?

A:
I apologize for the error in my previous response. Potassium monophosphate does not contain any phosphate ions as it is a salt of phosphoric acid and potassium hydroxide.

The correct formula to calculate the amount of potassium monophosphate needed to increase phosphate by a given amount is:

mass of potassium monophosphate = (target increase in phosphate in ppm) x (water volume in liters) x (1 mg/L) / (0.2882 x 1000 mg/g)

where 0.2882 g of potassium monophosphate contains 1 mg of phosphate.

Therefore, to increase phosphate by 0.1 ppm in a 250-liter aquarium, you would need to add:

mass of potassium monophosphate = (0.1 ppm) x (250 L) x (1 mg/L) / (0.2882 x 1000 mg/g) = 86.9 mg of potassium monophosphate.

Again, I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous response.

Q: Why do you believe that 0.2882 g of potassium monophosphate contains 1 mg of phosphate?

A:
I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. The correct conversion factor for the phosphate content of potassium monophosphate is 0.4537 g of potassium monophosphate contains 1 mg of phosphate, not 0.2882 g.

This conversion factor is derived from the molecular weights of potassium monophosphate (136.09 g/mol) and phosphate (31.00 g/mol). The molecular weight of phosphate is a fraction of the molecular weight of potassium monophosphate, so we need less mass of potassium monophosphate to supply the same amount of phosphate.

Therefore, to increase the phosphate concentration by 0.1 ppm in a 250-liter aquarium, you would need to add:

mass of potassium monophosphate = (0.1 ppm) x (250 L) x (1 mg/L) / (0.4537 g/mg) = 55.1 mg of potassium monophosphate.

Again, I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience caused.

P.S. I am adding 36mg of KH2PO4 to increase phosphate by 0.1ppm.

Last edited:

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't I think of this sooner. No need to have a real person helping out. lol

Here are a few examples that I asked it today, in order of increasing difficulty (IMO):

1. Describe the importance of alkalinity and calcium in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Alkalinity and calcium are important in a coral reef aquarium because they play crucial roles in the growth and health of coral and other marine organisms. Alkalinity, measured in terms of carbonate hardness (KH), helps to maintain a stable pH level in the aquarium water, which is necessary for the survival of coral and other marine organisms. Calcium, on the other hand, is a vital component of coral skeletons and is necessary for their growth and maintenance. Without adequate levels of calcium, coral will not be able to build or maintain their skeletons, which can lead to slowed growth or even death. It's important for the aquarist to test and maintain proper levels of Alkalinity and Calcium to ensure a healthy and thriving coral reef ecosystem in the aquarium.

Randy rating: 60%. It fails to explain that alkalinity does anything other than stabilize pH, but does a decent job with calcium. Answered immediately.

2. Describe the effects of phosphate in a coral reef aquarium.

ChatGPT reply:

Phosphate is a nutrient that can be found in many types of aquarium water, including coral reef aquariums. In small amounts, phosphate can be beneficial to coral reef aquariums as it is used by many types of coral and other marine organisms as a growth substrate. However, in high concentrations, phosphate can lead to the excessive growth of unwanted algae and other organisms, which can outcompete and harm the coral and other desired organisms in the aquarium. High levels of phosphate can also lead to decreased water clarity, and can make it more difficult to maintain proper water chemistry. To maintain a healthy coral reef aquarium, it is important to monitor phosphate levels and keep them within a safe range. This can be done through regular water testing and by using phosphate-removing products, such as phosphate-adsorbing media or liquid phosphate-removing solutions.

Randy Rating; 80%. Very good, IMO. It might have just been traffic, but it thought about this one longer.

3. Why is strontium incorporated into coral skeletons?

ChatGPT reply:
Strontium is incorporated into coral skeletons because it is a chemical element that is present in seawater and can substitute for calcium in the formation of the coral's exoskeleton. Strontium isotopes can also be used as a tracer to study the coral's growth and environment.

Randy Rating: 95%. It might have added that strontium looks chemically like calcium .

4. Why does a conductivity measurement need to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A conductivity measurement needs to be corrected for temperature to allow determination of seawater salinity because the conductivity of seawater changes with temperature. This is because the concentration of dissolved ions in seawater changes as the temperature changes, which affects the conductivity of the water. By correcting the conductivity measurement for temperature, the effects of temperature on the conductivity of the water can be eliminated, allowing for an accurate measurement of the salinity of the seawater.

Randy Rating: 5%, total fail. The conductivity of seawater does not change with temperature due to the number of ions changing, but rather to the change in the mobility of each individual ion.

5. Is a refractometer or a conductivity meter a better way to measure seawater salinity?

ChatGPT reply:
A refractometer is typically considered a more accurate way to measure seawater salinity than a conductivity meter. This is because a refractometer measures the actual salt content of a sample, while a conductivity meter measures the electrical conductivity of the water, which can be affected by other factors in addition to the salt content. However, conductivity meters are generally more convenient and easier to use in the field, and also cheaper. So it depends on your purpose and situation.

Randy Rating: 10%. Fail. The answer is partly opinion, which it cannot fail, but the description that a refractometer measures salt directly is ridiculous.

6. Is silicate a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in a coral reef aquarium?

ChatGPT reply:
Silicate is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates in coral reef aquariums. Dinoflagellates, like most marine phytoplankton, require a balance of macronutrients (such as nitrate and phosphate) and micronutrients (such as iron and manganese) in order to grow and reproduce. While silicate can be present in seawater, it is not typically considered a limiting nutrient for dinoflagellates. However, silicate can be used as a nutrient source by diatoms, another type of phytoplankton, which can compete with dinoflagellates for resources and lead to changes in the community structure.

Randy Rating: 99%. Very good. I'd remove the word "typically" as it implies some scenarios where it may not be true, but otherwise an excellent answer.
You can set that robot straight and give it the knowledge it needs. It’s basically in the learning stages.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can set that robot straight and give it the knowledge it needs. It’s basically in the learning stages.
You realize there are a half million bored kids in China answering the questions, right?

It's intelligence gathering, or rather a search for intelligence.
:cool:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that at present is it's biggest issue...it needs to learn from somewhere and generally that is the internet. Coding it to always choose the trustworthy sources for it's "learning" will be a neverending battle and you can bet companies and industries are already trying to figure out the best ways to influence it. I mean Phillip Morris is probably trying to figure out how to "teach" it that cigarettes are a health food.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A:
I apologize for the error in my previous response. Potassium monophosphate does not contain any phosphate ions as it is a salt of phosphoric acid and potassium hydroxide.

I guess chemistry teachers do not need to worry much about ChatGPT doing people's homework. lol

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my reefing chat bot for you to have a play: https://reefshow.inventmarine.com/

Like ChatGPT, it gets somethings completely incorrect and can't be trusted, but I am slowly feeding it with some common reefing chemistry and other related material and it is getting better by the day.

Randy's #2 is not too bad.
recipe_2.png

Jim's true 2-part isn't bad either:
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 2.37.43 pm.png

Unfortunatelly, the mechanism behind the scenes still struggles to differentiate between minor nuances, such as recipe 1 vs. 2. As you can see, it butched Recipe #1:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 2.54.33 pm.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smarter or just better at faking it?
It can only be as smart as the content it consumes.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can only be as smart as the content it consumes.

Doesn't that apply to humans as well?

It can work with photos instead of just text (e.g., design a recipe for a meal based on this photo of the open fridge).

"The company said GPT-4 recently passed a simulated law school bar exam with a score around the top 10% of test takers. By contrast, the prior version, GPT-3.5, scored around the bottom 10%. "

"can provide detailed instructions for even the most unique scenarios, ranging from how to clean a piranha’s fish tank to extracting the DNA of a strawberry. "

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see an original thought or a new idea that can be vetted and confirmed to be true. AI is simulation not innovation.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see an original thought or a new idea that can be vetted and confirmed to be true. AI is simulation not innovation.

You mean like "I'll be back" lol

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPT4 is starting to be released and reports suggest it is much smarter than ChatGPT.
I have moved the aforementioned reefing chatbot to GP-4 and the responses have improved significantly, but the performance is a bit worse and the mistakes are similar.
You can test it now.

It can now read articles and images, which might help but i haven’t had the chance to play with it. I wonder what will happen when I get it to read entire articles, instead of just snippets of information like I have been doing so far. If so, one could easily feed the entire forum to it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back