Cheap diy overflow box

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was wondering if anyone has done a diy overflow box, or how it looked?

would it be okay if I used a breeder box, cut out the back of it, and then siliconed it to the back of the tank? I feel like it would be fine just not super expensive acrylic unless that’s what it has to be lol

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all! Just wanted to share my diy overflow wier idea. Its a 3" drain elbow from the depot. I used an angle grinder, square, and the laser on my mitre saw. I cut it a little oversized and used the grinder to flush everything up. Hope this is inspiring!!

20210125_161750.jpg 20210125_134725.jpg 20210125_123309.jpg
Here's what I did.
20210228_201650.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could prob just go get the plastic at a.hardware.store and do it. Lol. It might be a little thin and flimsy or cheap. Lol. No teeth u just lower the front panel a.little. like a zero edge.pool.
If u do that. Put a strainer on the pipe or bulkhead.
D

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not handy, go online and search for used overflow boxes, I have seen many on Facebook market and on Ebay.
If you are handy and have a plastics company near you, get the dimensions, have them cut it for you and glue it yourself. Adhering the plastic is easy.

I love when hobbyists DIY their own gear!!!
Good luck!!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cheap diy overflow but did not design a box. It is all done with pvc pipe. I made mine with a weir and did it according to the DIY kings on Youtube. It was very easy and has worked perfectly since it has been installed over a year ago. I stop and start my return pump daily for feeding and it holds a syphon just fine. I can find a pic if you are interested.

OP
OP
LeChef

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cheap diy overflow but did not design a box. It is all done with pvc pipe. I made mine with a weir and did it according to the DIY kings on Youtube. It was very easy and has worked perfectly since it has been installed over a year ago. I stop and start my return pump daily for feeding and it holds a syphon just fine. I can find a pic if you are interested.
If you could that would be great! Thanks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a link to my google photos of the overflow. In the video they painted it black with Krylon fusion but my fuge and sump are in the basement well room so I did not worry about it being so utilitarian looking. The other thing I did was use too large of a standpipe, and U tube over the rim ( 1"). I should have used 3/4" of an inch and then I would not need the Tom's Aqualifter to get the syphon going. The Tom's aqualifter no longer works so it is not needed to keep the syphon going, I only used it to start it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a FTS of the fuge. My hope is to get shoal seagrass establish in it but the going has been slow.
However the macro algae have very effectively kept my nitrates and phosphates where I want them to be for my display in our livingroom, ( and I do not use a skimmer and I feed very heavy).

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C8B40E0F-65F3-4033-B6C9-456FDFBD59AA.jpeg
I used a 6” piece of pvc (I think it’s sewer pipe lol). I was able to fit an emergency drain and a regular durso style drain in there....I wish I had done an external box now lol I didn’t read about it before I did it :/. Works great though. I used GE silicone #1 and waited 72 hours before I water tested.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back