Cheap(er) corals

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where/who sells cheap(er) corals. Not looking for designers and the prices for some are insane, $100+ for frags, $30 polyp, $60 head. Dont get me started on colonies. This is just price gouging like crazy.

Am I wrong to assume if I name a coral "Purple Hellcat of Doom With the Devil's Blessing" or some shot, I can sell it for $200?

I get that pretty colors cost more. But god dang this coral and like 3 polyps/branches/heads.

Any advice also are there reputable online dealers who actually take care to package animals so they dont die within a day or in transit?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even with no names. They are about those prices. Unless its green ZOA's and mushrooms.
Most sellers I am sure don't want doas
I can't find any reasonable seller either.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFSs usually have a $20, $40, $60 section. Problem is its common corals ppl buy when they're young to the hobby.

Online Sellers aint no dummies.... they know what they have in collectible designer pieces

If you're frustrated bc you want super brillant colors at $30 for a fat frag..... the Seller arent giving stuff away.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where/who sells cheap(er) corals. Not looking for designers and the prices for some are insane, $100+ for frags, $30 polyp, $60 head. Dont get me started on colonies. This is just price gouging like crazy.

Am I wrong to assume if I name a coral "Purple Hellcat of Doom With the Devil's Blessing" or some shot, I can sell it for $200?

I get that pretty colors cost more. But god dang this coral and like 3 polyps/branches/heads.

Any advice also are there reputable online dealers who actually take care to package animals so they dont die within a day or in transit?
Local reefers is the only way to go

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm looking for a dummy online seller then. Like me, the dummy buyer. The lfs does indeed have that, and I have most of them. But for a 2" acro frag is $180. Anems no less than 125 a pop. Torches 60/head. Hammers start at 40 and frogs at 60+. My CB eats hammers, Large and small polyp. Didn't eat the torch though, no I broke it taking off a plug. Have tried frogs a cause of the CB/hammer problem...

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't buy coral from the LFS or online. Prices are too high and health is too low.

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I feel like Patrick under a rock here. I wonder if these things happen in the greater Chicagoland area. I'd much rather pay 10-30, because I don't have a specific style of coral instead it's about quantity and diversity. This is my tank, for me. Not for Better Reefs and Tidal Gardens monthly.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is the big frag packs from online vendors. Only problem is you don't get to pick what you get.

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow seriously as I ***** about it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210606-204833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-204833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I feel like Patrick under a rock here. I wonder if these things happen in the greater Chicagoland area. I'd much rather pay 10-30, because I don't have a specific style of coral instead it's about quantity and diversity. This is my tank, for me. Not for Better Reefs and Tidal Gardens monthly.
I was lucky and found a local reefer who sells coral. Originally I bought a rainbow nem from him. It was 6-8" for $80. After seeing all of the coral he had, the next time I just said put a $200 pack together for me. I didn't even help him choose. For $200 I got 9 frags from him. At the LFS that would have been an easy $350.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m a very well known seller on here with very healthy frags, while I do extremely rare and high end frags I do have some affordable frags, but the days of $10 chunky frags are long gone. It’s expensive to grow these days. Those prices above are nothing. That’s the normal price for a aquaculture frag and just the normal size of frags. Nothing wrong with single heads and single polyp frags if you know how to grow coral well. If you can grow it well then High end coral is the game and you can make some serious money in it. Corals are investments these days. I got $1,000 corals and a few I’ve paid $3,000-$4,000 for. Which one of these $3,000 corals made me over $16,000 in a year. It costs a ton of money to build a large system. So think of that when you buy frags. As far as naming coral, if you bring something in or buy a unnamed coral then you can name it, but it has to be different enough as well as you may not get much traction unless your known in the hobby or it’s super crazy. You also can’t go rename a named coral for example take Jason Fox Homewrecker you can’t go name that green goblin. This is a sad process many vendors do though.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently started only buying from hobbyists. Just make sure the hobbyist is reputable. You will get more reasonable prices across the board. I would just post on the buying forum with whatever your wanting to buy and at whichever price point. Somebody will get up with you.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a very well known seller on here with very healthy frags, while I do extremely rare and high end frags I do have some affordable frags, but the days of $10 chunky frags are long gone. It’s expensive to grow these days. Those prices above are nothing. That’s the normal price for a aquaculture frag and just the normal size of frags. Nothing wrong with single heads and single polyp frags if you know how to grow coral well. If you can grow it well then High end coral is the game and you can make some serious money in it. Corals are investments these days. I got $1,000 corals and a few I’ve paid $3,000-$4,000 for. Which one of these $3,000 corals made me over $16,000 in a year. It costs a ton of money to build a large system. So think of that when you buy frags. As far as naming coral, if you bring something in or buy a unnamed coral then you can name it, but it has to be different enough as well as you may not get much traction unless your known in the hobby or it’s super crazy. You also can’t go rename a named coral for example take Jason Fox Homewrecker you can’t go name that green goblin. This is a sad process many vendors do though.
It's like I'm hearing an echo of the American economy in general. Prices go up, but income stagnates. Plus not all reefers have this kinda cash. I mean, cool if you do. But I'm a broke butt ho. And I'm dang near looking for a handout when it comes to coral. I've never even considered selling my stock, even though my shrooms are plain and boring, red with blue dots, common, have propagated and now I have 12 when I initially had 3 off the frag rock.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search online for local frag swaps. Outside of the covid year, there are few that happen once a year within a few hours drive for me in Northeastern Wisconsin. I'm sure they happen in the greater Chicagoland area.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back