Cheap torch too good to be true?

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I found a good deal on a torch coral on E bay. I put a bid in and miraculously no one bid against me. I thought WOW I got a purple torch coral for $26 dollars! My lucky day!
The 1st picture was taken immediately upon opening the box. No sign of flesh on the skeleton and even if it was a full polyp bail-out I didn't find any flesh floating around in the bag. I also have a picture (2nd) of the "coral" 24 hours later. 3rd picture is the wysiwyg that was on Ebay. Any ideas what happened?
20240111_164438.jpg
20240112_105727.jpg
Screenshot_20240109_105034_eBay.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That torch was definitely not ready to be shipped

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they are sorry and refunded me the $26 dollars but I am out $50 shipping and a day of work waiting for the box.

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture in the bag looks like it’s there just pulled in super tight and angry. Any pics under white light?
No pictures but I did look under a warmer spectrum and it didn't make any difference. To me it looks like it has been this way for some time.

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bait and switch?
I have heard that sometimes when an item that is living like a coral doesn't make the expected or wanted dollar amount that it better to send something in its place and refund the money so that it can go back on auction. The seller is not out any money just time. The buyer gets their money back but not shipping (in this case $50). The seller will ship another out but the buyer doesn't want to pay another shipping fee so backs out and takes the loss. Not saying that is what happened here but I can only go by the evidence in the bag and make a conclusion.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they are sorry and refunded me the $26 dollars but I am out $50 shipping and a day of work waiting for the box.
This was a "nice" way of not selling you a torch for $26.00 after the bidding failed to raise the sale to a profitable price for them. Keep the skeleton to remind you of the situation and hopefully avoid getting torched in the future.

Sorry.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely said.
I recently bought a crazy specimen plate coral that "dissappeared" from the sellers tanks before they could ship it to me. They were not sure, but it may have rtn'd but it wasn't available, somehow? I hope they kept it, I'd like a frag later and it would be a shame if that plate died and was lost to the hobby. I'm gonna keep looking for frags down the road, it was that good.

OP
OP
peewee5779

peewee5779

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a "nice" way of not selling you a torch for $26.00 after the bidding failed to raise the sale to a profitable price for them. Keep the skeleton to remind you of the situation and hopefully avoid getting torched in the future.

Sorry.
Yes you are correct. I will tuck my tail and go my way. Just want to bring attention to this so that it may save someone else the grief and $.

*****still laughing about the "torched in the future " comment ***** that was almost worth all of this!!!!!!!!

Danyole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few St Thomas mushrooms and a Dragon Soul torch from that same seller and they all arrived bleached. I did decide to keep them because it was a 2 headed Dragon Soul for $100 but yeah not the greatest experience. My torch came in much better condition then that though

File a Item Not As Described claim to get your full refund

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a crazy specimen plate coral that "dissappeared" from the sellers tanks before they could ship it to me. They were not sure, but it may have rtn'd but it wasn't available, somehow? I hope they kept it, I'd like a frag later and it would be a shame if that plate died and was lost to the hobby. I'm gonna keep looking for frags down the road, it was that good.
Same....Yellow Fiji leather frag.......

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back