Cheapest insulated materials to ship?

Xerxes_Zoanthids444

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2016
Messages
243
Reaction score
85
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I've been looking into shipping corals lately and was trying to find insulated boxes for the colder winter months and they're all very expensive do you guys know a cheaper route for insulated boxes to ship corals?

Thank you
 
Nope, Styrofoam is still the best and strongest you can ship your corals in.
 
As far as making your own, I think it comes down to what you are selling and shipping. If you are doing high end packs costing a few hundred dollars, it is my humble opinion (and I think many would agree) that saving some money and making your own boxes may not be your best bet. Now, if you are doing a bit more bargain/lower end pieces, making your own may be worth it.
I would check uline for supplies. Maybe see if you can setup a wholesale account. Ebay has crazy deals sometimes that don't even make sense how they sell and ship for so cheap and still make a profit. I would also check with your LFS. They get tons of shipments in and many times toss these boxes. You could toss them a few bucks possibly. The boxes will most likely be large though.
 
I agree with the above. Especially if you are shipping to/from somewhere cold. It is winter after all.

Just a couple weeks ago I had two orders arrive the same day, both coming from CA. One (makeshift insulation cooler box) temped at 51 degrees, the other (actual foam cooler box) at 74. Most of the frags in the former were lost.

I know it's all weather dependent but do you want to risk DOA's?
 
I always ask what kind of boxes they using when I buy corals.
If they home made I'll pass up the transaction and go somewhere else.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new