Cheapest way to add shimmer...?

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm already satisfied with the PAR of my lights but want to add shimmer, is there a "cheap" way to do it? My original thought was to add a Kessil 360 just for shimmer and dim my other light (Radion XR30 Pro) to avoid nuking anything, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative (e.g., maybe a small Kessil or some chinese blackbox) that provided the shimmer if I didn't care about PAR specifically?

This would be for an 85 gal that's 34.5" long x 23.5" wide x 27.5" tall (CADE 900 S2). If I wanted to just blow a ton of money, my understanding is that the "optimal" lighting would be 2 XR30's mounted 90 degrees (so the long sides are perpendicular to the length of the tank), and then for shimmer I'd add a Kessil in the middle. But that seems horrendously expensive so I was thinking maybe adding a Kessil as a second light for the lesser light demanding corals on one side and also to add shimmer...

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the XR30 was a bit overkill for my actual needs and I probably should have went with a Kessil A9X or something like that. I suppose I could try selling the XR30 and getting that A9X...

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions appreciated :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I'm already satisfied with the PAR of my lights but want to add shimmer, is there a "cheap" way to do it? My original thought was to add a Kessil 360 just for shimmer and dim my other light (Radion XR30 Pro) to avoid nuking anything, but I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative (e.g., maybe a small Kessil or some chinese blackbox) that provided the shimmer if I didn't care about PAR specifically?

This would be for an 85 gal that's 34.5" long x 23.5" wide x 27.5" tall (CADE 900 S2). If I wanted to just blow a ton of money, my understanding is that the "optimal" lighting would be 2 XR30's mounted 90 degrees (so the long sides are perpendicular to the length of the tank), and then for shimmer I'd add a Kessil in the middle. But that seems horrendously expensive so I was thinking maybe adding a Kessil as a second light for the lesser light demanding corals on one side and also to add shimmer...

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure the XR30 was a bit overkill for my actual needs and I probably should have went with a Kessil A9X or something like that. I suppose I could try selling the XR30 and getting that A9X...

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions appreciated :)
Try placing crinkled foil above the lights

OP
OP
J

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the foil idea was genius (and I'll try it out once my lights cycle up), but I'm sure there's no way my wife will accept the aesthetic impact of a sheet of aluminum foil over the tank since we don't have a canopy...

I guess if we had a canopy or some other light hood, that would be a really great way to "recycle" alot of otherwise wasted light...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s what I’m hoping for. i assume they’re on Amazon - any hints to point me in the right direction? Or just look for the Kassil 350x’s :)
The ones i bought are on aliexpress and alibaba. I find the sellers on alibaba usually are much more responsive and often better prices.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s what I’m hoping for. i assume they’re on Amazon - any hints to point me in the right direction? Or just look for the Kassil 350x’s :)

Here are ones i am trying. There are couple other places to find them maybe a couple dollars cheaper but i have used this seller before and worked well so went with them.

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On these do you need to get the condenser len for it. Not sure what that does, but I want to add shimmer also and this seems like a great deal. Please let me know what the lens is for?

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are ones i am trying. There are couple other places to find them maybe a couple dollars cheaper but i have used this seller before and worked well so went with them.

@mdb_talon

I got the lights from the above site and they seem really good so far, but I am having trouble with the app. I have it connected to wifi and I have a sunrise/sunset plan saved, but I am not what I need to seclect so it will follow the lighting diagram. Any way you could give me a quick basic instruction on how to tell it to follow the led profile that I have saved. I see it when I open the app but it just stays the same color and never reduces like the profile.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back