Cheato falling apart, not growing

NexisG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can never seem to keep cheato alive for the life of me. This time I have a reef breeders pico light over a maybe 1 galling fudge in the back of an AIO. I got a ball of cheato that tumbled well and looked healthy when I got it. But it just slowly became more strongly and loose and fell apart. It’s almost all gone now and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. The light runs for 20 hours a day since it isn’t super high powered. I feed a cube of mysis and a cube of brine shrimp each day. It’s in a 40 gallon and last time I tested I had 0.09 phosphate and around 5 nitrate. I have some cyano and a little hair algae in the main tank I’m trying to combat at the moment. Any ideas on why my cheato keeps dying?
image.jpg
image.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have any nitrates or phosphate for the chaeto to eat?

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I do an icp test to check what i need or is there something specific I should add to help it?
Always good to do an ICP test to see where your trace and minor minerals are at. I also use Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro. But the ICP gets is the way to go so your not dosing things you don’t need or overdosing elements.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back