Cheato growing LED

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

recently made an LED unit for my sump, i'm running a single chip https://futureeden.co.uk/collections/10w-leds/products/10w-full-spectrum-par-led-bridgelux-380-840nm

but i'm getting zero growth at all even dead Cheato, could it be an issue with the cheato being right next to my GFO reactor starving it of nutrients or is this LED simply not good enough, or even being too far away roughly 14 inches. Thanks

received_510463992698793.jpeg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the gfo reactor offline. It's out competing your chaeto for nutrients. Generally you want to run one or the other, not both :)
Agreed. Could be nutrient competition. Is the acrylic reactor full of GFO or Chaeto?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rank light intensity and water movement more likely to be effecting growth than PO4 level. Macro algae attain maximum growth at the detection limit of the Hanna ULR P hosphorous Checker. Any more PO4 willl not make it grow any faster. Ditto for nitrogen level.

Algae growth can be limited by water movement because the boundary layer or micron thick layer of stagnant water on its surfaces becomes thicker as water movement declines, slowing CO2 and nutrient transport to its surface. This phenomenon can be even more important in nutrient poor reef tanks. I can’t give you any ideas on measuring flow but would suggest as strong as practical but without compacting it into a corner :)

Unless you are measuring light levels, assume you are under illuminating your alga and get the light it as close as practical to the alga.

OP
OP
Stan-Lee

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rank light intensity and water movement more likely to be effecting growth than PO4 level. Macro algae attain maximum growth at the detection limit of the Hanna ULR P hosphorous Checker. Any more PO4 willl not make it grow any faster. Ditto for nitrogen level.

Algae growth can be limited by water movement because the boundary layer or micron thick layer of stagnant water on its surfaces becomes thicker as water movement declines, slowing CO2 and nutrient transport to its surface. This phenomenon can be even more important in nutrient poor reef tanks. I can’t give you any ideas on measuring flow but would suggest as strong as practical but without compacting it into a corner :)

Unless you are measuring light levels, assume you are under illuminating your alga and get the light it as close as practical to the alga.

Right so tonight i'll try and move the light closer and see if i can getsome more flow in the sump thanks

OP
OP
Stan-Lee

Stan-Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use the same LED but I had 5 chips to an area of 100x15 cm and a depth of 20 cm. It grow chaeto very good.

Sincerely Lasse
That's good to hear Lasse, this one chip is doing a 10 x 10 cm area so I should be OK with one, what heat sink where you using?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back