Check values stammering. Sump overflow. UGENT!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero boilerplate, just industry standards from those who make and use the products daily. I think that trumps your petty insults.
There were no insults. But be careful about absolutes and only play your "trump card" when you are sure it is a winner.

Your citation of "industry standards" is incomplete and I added context to the comments that you either left out or do not know. Yes, it is boilerplate "The Do's and Don'ts" copied to literally dozens of sites and documents, almost all word for word wrapped in other people's documents and likely originating from the LASCO site... You know the company that mass produces garbage fittings sold at big box stores.

This is not an "industry standard" it is lazy content copied over and over and as copied and quoted is misleading and not complete, and you simply copied it and have repeated it here. I aimed to add context, as (again) it is incomplete and your emphatic "No, no, no, no, no. Teflon tape is not appropriate" is simply not the whole truth.

So, again (as I responded already) - PTFE thread tape is acceptable IF USED PROPERLY. Context is everything. Actually, let's have a look at what those who "make the products" have to say, instead of the copy/paste "Do's and Don'ts" from ONE manufacturer that appear as boilerplate all over the internet.

Here is a citation from Harvel Plastics, a manufacturer of high quality plastic fittings
1707675029443.png

The instructions go on to warn against over tightening.

Likewise directly from the Hayward (another quality PVC fittings manufacturer) installation instructions and standards
1707675308635.png

Spears (yet another high quality fittings manufacturer) allows for the use of Teflon tape, but warns (as I mentioned) about over tightening.
1707675478851.png

Charlotte Pipe
1707676080432.png

1707676135092.png

I don't see a need to dig out plumbing codes or more citations.

So again. PTFE tape is acceptable. It works very well for quality PVC fittings. It does NOT work well for crap fittings (example lasco) because it cant make up the thread gaps without being extremely overtightened. That said, often non-hardening paste is not enough either. A wrap of tape and some paste will often help ,but the advice would be to buy better fittings. (Hayward, Spears, Cepex, Harvel,etc.)

On a contextual note: When advising the use of "sealant" - please advise them to use 100% PTFE based sealants. Those mixed with oils or other compounds may not be reef safe. The sealant IS in contact with the tank water.

Type I silicone can also be used. It does not bond to the PVC and in essence forms a custom gasket. The fitting will still be able to be (fairly) easily to disassemble. Type II sticks better to PVC and will make disassembly harder.

Last edited:

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using tape on pvc for 25 years both tanks and pool and have never had an issue. But “liquid Teflon” is definitly easier to apply since most people totally screw up the tape with too much too little etc wtc

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using tape on pvc for 25 years both tanks and pool and have never had an issue. But “liquid Teflon” is definitly easier to apply since most people totally screw up the tape with too much too little etc wtc
I am a firm believer in using quality fittings, it makes things so much easier. Take a look at the Lasco stuff from the big box, half the time the two halves of the injected mold are not lined up well and there is sometimes mold flash stuck throughout the threads. Compare that to a spears fitting. Night and day.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked Erin’s advice. I hate using Teflon tape because it always folds against itself and I put way too much.

The PTFW paste seems very foolproof and is known to be used around PVC.

Thank you @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked Erin’s advice. I hate using Teflon tape because it always folds against itself and I put way too much.

The PTFW paste seems very foolproof and is known to be used around PVC.

Thank you @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal
If it folds against itself, you are wrapping it in the wrong direction. Looking at the end of the pipe, wrap counter clockwise with the tail to the bottom left of the spool. This will "unwind" it at the rate that it is applied. If the tail is at the top left they each revolution of the will unwind more tape than you need, making it hard to apply.

In a prior life I used hundreds of rolls of the stuff a year, maybe 4-5 rolls per shift (mining industry).

But - yes, the PTFE paste is usually a better choice for NTP PVC fittings. Non- tapered threads are a different story.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update:

Special thanks to @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal @a.t.t.r and @KStatefan

You guys saved my tank. I am eternally grateful for you guys and everyone who responded in this thread.

I used 2 street elbows to bring the loc line above the water. I used PTFE paste to seal the threads.

IMG_8360.jpeg

Photo by @KStatefan

I drilled 2 holes through the bottom of the highest elbow to create a siphon break.

I also changed my check valves.

There is NO more thrusting of a check valve. The sump waterline is perfect.

My plumbing has the unions of the check valves glued, so that’s why I need to test it with check valves that had the flappers removed to see if the siphon break is working as intended.

This is the final product:

IMG_8364.jpeg

Thank you SO much!

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update:

Special thanks to @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal @a.t.t.r and @KStatefan

You guys saved my tank. I am eternally grateful for you guys and everyone who responded in this thread.

I used 2 street elbows to bring the loc line above the water. I used PTFE paste to seal the threads.

IMG_8360.jpeg

Photo by @KStatefan

I drilled 2 holes through the bottom of the highest elbow to create a siphon break.

I also changed my check valves.

There is NO more thrusting of a check valve. The sump waterline is perfect.

My plumbing has the unions of the check valves glued, so that’s why I need to test it with check valves that had the flappers removed to see if the siphon break is working as intended.

This is the final product:

IMG_8364.jpeg

Thank you SO much!
Looks great! Glad things worked out.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update

I ripped off the flappers of my old check valves and glued them to the inner wall of the check valve because the flapper was bigger than the holes. I can’t get the actual flapper out.

I wanted to test if the siphon break worked.

It did! The water level in the sump cannot be better. I have a lot of extra space.

I don’t need any check valves. My plumbing requires check valves because the unions were glued. I don’t want to use the glued flapper check valves because I’m sure the glue will detach one day. I don’t want the flapper to block the flow of water.

I can use the new check valves. They won’t harm anything.

Or I can replumb the check valve section. I’ll post pics of it in a few hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back