Check values stammering. Sump overflow. UGENT!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I can’t make anything that will fit in this section. Anything I can make with 2 elbows is going to be too tall for the overflow lid

Either I use vinyl or I just buy some more loc line and elevate that instead. I’m leaning toward the second option.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you simply position the outlets at the surface? Aim how you want but move them high as possible. If you can lift with your hand and break siphon, it has to be possible to just raise them

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you simply position the outlets at the surface? Aim how you want but move them high as possible. If you can lift with your hand and break siphon, it has to be possible to just raise them
That’s what I’m saying. However, @a.t.t.r said that loc lines are not water tight so I’d need to make the actual overflow return higher than the water level in the sump.

Since I’m still going to use the check valves and position the loc lines above the water, I’ll leave the overflow alone.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. So the issue is settled then!

I’m still going to use the check valves since I already have them. They don’t harm anything can be used as another fallsafe.

Position the loc lines above the water and drill a hole on the under side.

Boom. Done. Problem solved. That was surprisingly easy.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. So the issue is settled then!

I’m still going to use the check valves since I already have them. They don’t harm anything can be used as another fallsafe.

Position the loc lines above the water and drill a hole on the under side.

Boom. Done. Problem solved. That was surprisingly easy.
Dunno, turn your pumps off, lol. If it works leave everything alone.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m saying. However, @a.t.t.r said that loc lines are not water tight so I’d need to make the actual overflow return higher than the water level in the sump.

Since I’m still going to use the check valves and position the loc lines above the water, I’ll leave the overflow alone.
I've had extended power outages and my loc-line has never leaked. I think that's just a worst case scenario, theoretically possible situation.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work! Now I can enjoy the tank again!!
Perfect. I’m assuming you went with the having the lock line breaching the surface method. That will work for shorter power outages just fine but remember as they age they will leak more and more (most I ever saw was about a gallon per Hour average is a slow drip). So just maybe test it once or twice a year with a half hour shut down to make sure the trickle isn’t too much.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am an idiot and prioritized keeping everything inside the overflow. You could make this perfect simply getting two pieces of black PVC elbows, and from where your lock line comes into the tank, go up above the waterline, then back forward again and screw the lock line into that so it’s actually starting above the surface…. 0 changes inside the overflow.

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try bending your loc line up just below the surface of the water. If it's to short add some or come out of your overflow 90 up to the surface and 90 again then attach the loc line at the surface. Drill your hole just below the surface of the water. You will loose some flow but you might have some more room to adjust your pump output. You can use grey pvc or paint them black. There's videos on fish safe paint.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some Teflon plumbing tape to seal it that way you can take it apart to clean it. Also with this you could remove the check valves. First test it out to make sure.
No, no, no, no, no.
Teflon tape is not appropriate.
Pipe thread sealant is the correct product.

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Teflon tape is for sealing pipe threads. Pipe thread sealant is good for pipe threads I was just being cautious about it leaching into the water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a gazillion articles explaining why Teflon tape should not be used on PVC. Here is one, and a screenshot of the specifics.

Screenshot_20240210-223901.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back