Check values stammering. Sump overflow. UGENT!!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m going back to the old system I had. This one is not good. I still hear water flowing and gurgling when I close the return pumps. I lifted the loc like completely out of the water and I still heard water passing through the PVC.

Since I’m touching the overflow system, I’m risking breaking the seal which was just by using teflon and pressed in. If the seal breaks then the entire overflow will go into the sump which will for sure flood.

I will just replace the check valves. My sump CANNOT hold the extra water.

I will rely on check valves. I will not make anymore changes.
I know people are going to disagree with me, but I support your choice.
You have tried our solutions and they don't work for you or you don't see a positive outcome to them.
If using check valves is the only solution you see, and that it worked before, then go for it.

Only I would suggest using Wye check valves instead of the flapper style.
Use threaded unions on each side of them. Use thread paste on the threads.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like a complete failure. I had a new company custom make this tank because my old tank (that my grandfather built for himself when he owned my current house) was built horribly.

It just seems like I was destined for plumbing failures. I enjoy reefing for the care of animals. In all honesty, I despise the part of equipments and plumbing. I could never get it right. I am not very handy.

If I ever get another tank, I am not getting it custom made. I’ll pay the premium for an experienced manufacturer.

I regret regret regret.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, take a step back. Replace the check valves, get it working like it was previously. Then, give some more thought to whether or not you want to make long term changes.

You've received a lot of ideas, but they have to be overwhelming. Don't let them get to you. You've been very successful, and you will continue to be. Take some time to enjoy your tank, then address the issue.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just feel like a complete failure. I had a new company custom make this tank because my old tank (that my grandfather built for himself when he owned my current house) was built horribly.

It just seems like I was destined for plumbing failures. I enjoy reefing for the care of animals. In all honesty, I despise the part of equipments and plumbing. I could never get it right. I am not very handy.

If I ever get another tank, I am not getting it custom made. I’ll pay the premium for an experienced manufacturer.

I regret regret regret.
I wouldn't put too much stress on yourself.
We all trust companies to be right every time. Sometimes that doesn't happen.
With plumbing, it's a whole new skill set that sometimes can be hard to understand.
I worked around plumbers ( not my trade) for 45 years and asked questions about everything.
So I was comfortable going from plastic tubing up to pvc years ago. Even so I get it wrong once in a while.

Do the part of the hobby that's fun for you.

Now ask me to change up house wiring, and that's when I start calling in the pros.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get things sorted out and stay in the hobby. Your contributions are needed and appreciated.

. I’ll pay the premium for an experienced manufacturer.
I just took delivery of a waterbox LX 330.7 last week. I opened the box of plumbing parts this morning and see this. :loudly-crying-face: PXL_20240210_160031949.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get things sorted out and stay in the hobby. Your contributions are needed and appreciated.

I just took delivery of a waterbox LX 330.7 last week. I opened the box of plumbing parts this morning and see this. :loudly-crying-face: PXL_20240210_160031949.jpg
They're not all bad. My tank has a check valve (to stop the UV flowing back when the return pump is off).

I give it a 30 min soak in citric acid once a year and it still works fine. I dont brush with anything abrasive.

I also have a siphon break hole in the tank return just below waterline as well, but the sump can hold all the water if the check valve failed which is an important point.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@a.t.t.r

Can’t I just pull the loc line out of the water?

The drawing on the right is what you are proposing. Is there a difference if I just add loc line and replicate the drawing on the left?

It would be MUCH easier to do the idea on the left side. I just came up with this now.

I would add a hole to the underside of the loop in my drawing

image.jpg

Would this not work? I apologize if you already answered this question. I wasn’t aware if you did.
Loc line leaks but yes you could do that and be ok for a couple hours of power outage.(assuming you have a way for air to enter the loc line (a small hole at the bottom or side of the peak of your bend that is right of the brink of being exposed to air as soon as the pumps cut off)

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going back to the old system I had. This one is not good. I still hear water flowing and gurgling when I close the return pumps. I lifted the loc like completely out of the water and I still heard water passing through the PVC.

Since I’m touching the overflow system, I’m risking breaking the seal which was just by using teflon and pressed in. If the seal breaks then the entire overflow will go into the sump which will for sure flood.

I will just replace the check valves. My sump CANNOT hold the extra water.

I will rely on check valves. I will not make anymore changes.
The pipe will empty but as long as you have a hole (and the pipe is sealed at the bottom bulkhead…) your draining should rapidly stop. If you must use silicone to seal the pipe to the bulk head it is good enough of a seal and is not permanent on plastic. Can you shut off all other outlets and take a video of what happens when just that one is draining? Did you drill a hole somewhere at or above the water line? (1/8 inch is more then enough)

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are so close to having things right. Also you can get that pvc to be lower then the tank lip with a slightly different orientation or using a vinyl line (which you may prefer to pvc anyways). I have done hundreds of tanks including retail and aquaculture systems if you want to dm me I’m sure we can figure out a design that works for you that doesn’t have you relying on a check valve ( hey it closed this time. But will it close tomorrow? Who knows )

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are so close to having things right. Also you can get that pvc to be lower then the tank lip with a slightly different orientation or using a vinyl line (which you may prefer to pvc anyways). I have done hundreds of tanks including retail and aquaculture systems if you want to dm me I’m sure we can figure out a design that works for you that doesn’t have you relying on a check valve ( hey it closed this time. But will it close tomorrow? Who knows )
I have no problems paying extra for someone to help me. Money isn’t the issue. The issue is finding someone who can do it.

Why do you think I paid for that custom aquarium company to build my tank? …they were the only ones who said yes.

I had a big 300 gallon that I needed to remove and replace with a new one. Nobody wanted to do that job.

That’s why I got stuck with a terrible job. Partly because I didn’t have a lot of space in my sump, but also because those guys didn’t listen to me when I said I didn’t want to rely on check valves. That’s the only way they did it and they said all their tanks relied on them.

Nobody likes repairing tanks around me, and I’m good for nothing at this.

Last edited:

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problems paying extra for someone to help me. Money isn’t the issue. The issue is finding someone who can do it.

Why do you think I paid for that custom aquarium company to build my tank? …they were the only ones who said yes.

I had a big 300 gallon that I needed to remove and replace with a new one. Nobody wanted to do that job.

That’s why I got stuck with a terrible job. Partly because I didn’t have a lot of space in my sump, but also because those guys didn’t listen to me when I said I didn’t want to rely on check valves. That’s the only way they did it and they said all their tanks relied on them.

Nobody likes repairing tanks around me, and I’m good for nothing at this.
Are you a member of fmas?

Also. You did that plumbing you can do anything just keep experimenting. You wanting to have the lid on it makes me think changing to two barb fittings and some vinyl line may be your best choice (bonus you can see inside the pipe!)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I regret regret regret.
Don't be so harsh on yourself. Save us some space to beat you up in. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

If you feel you got taken advantage of, well be happy that there are a bunch of people on here who are willing to help for free. We all have had someone take advantage of us, and usually the regret mentality will start rolling. Stop it, you are wasting mind space worring about evil that you didn't anticipate. You are still alive, the fish and coral are happy, and the tank can be fixed or replaced and I suspect you are a very nice person so don't let the btards grind you down.

A recent flood in southern california put up to 5' of water into 400 homes, and most of the residents are working poor. They moved back in after they bailed out the water with 5 gallon buckets. Our situation here in this thread isn't like that, so don't let your own mind ruin your day any longer.

You are beating yourself to death for no reason that can be helped or changed by beating yourself to death. Does it make you feel any better? I'll stop, meant that all for positive encouragement, and came back to the thread to see how things were turning out. I'll check in again later and I hope you take the weight off yourself.

Shalom

Brett7397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used vinyl line for the return on the two tanks I ran sumps on with the pvc over flow for tanks I didn't drill. Couldn't drill them they were established.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I remove the entire pump #2 and only rely on the first pump, my sump can fit the extra water.

I can remove the UV (which I don’t even use) and I can close off the entire line with the ball valve.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I remove the entire pump #2 and only rely on the first pump, my sump can fit the extra water.

I can remove the UV (which I don’t even use) and I can close off the entire line with the ball valve.

Now you're talkin'

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't see a pump displacing much more than half a gallon of water. How much ended up on floor? How close are you, now, since adjusting returns?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see a pump displacing much more than half a gallon of water. How much ended up on floor? How close are you, now, since adjusting returns?
I have 2 pumps. The one with the UV has a massive 80 watt sterilizer and a few feet of 3/4” pipe filled with water.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the PVC line of pump #2 which includes the giant UV that holds more water than a sperm whale.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back