Cheezy's eurobraced 210g

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back with a vengence....well, I'm back. I have really missed having a big tank, so I have been searching for a large rimless. All the companies I contacted either had a ridiculous lead time or I was going to have to sell a kidney to buy one. I broadened my search to include Eurobraced and found this guy....
http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-210-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-210g.htm

So far, they have been great to work with and are even willing to store the tank until I can get a stand made. It looks like I might be having a tank moving party in the next couple months...beer included of course.

I'm still working out the details as far as equipment goes. I did pick up an RO regal 300int. That is a beast of a skimmer!

This will be a reef tank, heavy on the sticks.

More to come.

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tasty bottle of beer as a reference.

20150914_203841_zps62fatx35.jpg~original

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress is being made. The stand is done. Jlanger has made some amazing stands, so I had him build mine :) You should check out the build thread for his 120g. I wanted a modern minimalist look and am not disappointed!
stand%20pic%203_zpskdizqehg.jpg~original

Stand%20pic%201_zpsizkb4owa.jpg~original

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! SCAquariums do build nice tanks but I think they are all made overseas as the bulkheads and such are metric. I would change them out to standard bulkheads for you own sake.

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the tank looks like with the aquascape. It's still a work in progress, though. I am going to be connecting the Orpheks so they all stay on the same level.

The running water level isn't that low. I was recirculating in the tank for my cycling.

I have diatoms! I'm happy that I'm to this point of the build.
The pod population is starting to get going. The first resident is in his new McMansion.... an ORA white spotted pygmy filefish.
I have a CBB and some bipartitus leopard wrasses in QT right now.
20160111_061608_zpslnx4jymu.jpg~original

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about the tank. Dimensions, looks like maybe a couple of center braces, and is the bracing recessed? I had SCA give me a quote for a 60x30x24 with ghost overflow and starfire, just not convinced if it's the tank size I want. Are you happy with the quality of the tank?

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about the tank. Dimensions, looks like maybe a couple of center braces, and is the bracing recessed? I had SCA give me a quote for a 60x30x24 with ghost overflow and starfire, just not convinced if it's the tank size I want. Are you happy with the quality of the tank?
Tank dimensions are 72x29x24. It's 16mm low iron glass on all sides (not sure if it's starphire brand). I will say is that it is HEAVY, to the tune of about 550 lbs. It wasn't easy for 4 guys to get it down a flight of stairs. Overall, I like the tank especially considering the price. It is IMHO over built. The glass has a nice polished edge, the caulking is flawless.

That being said, there are a few quirky things on it. The bracing is recessed and is stacked rather than being on one level. It would have been nice if they used clear silicone for the bracing to make it less obtrusive. The overflow is glass skinned with acrylic or poly. The glass sits a lot lower than the skin and the teeth are quite long. I modded it so the water level is higher.
I swapped out the metric bulkheads for corresponding standard sized ones.

In the end, if you can deal with a few "interesting" component designs, it is worth it. I got some quotes on similar tanks from the usual manufacturers and it was going to be 2x the price, 6-12 month wait, or both.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting the same tank from them but now it's priced at $3K. Do you mind tell me how much did you pay for yours? I am not sure if I should take it now or wait for another sale event.

Thank you!

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty tank. Love how clean it looks. Those Orpheks are pretty sweet from what I hear. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ws6kid! I will put an update together soon. I need to break out the camera, so I can get some decent pics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait for an update!

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, so I suppose an update is in order. The STNing is slowing down. I still get some basically whenever I do anything: water change, stir up sand bed, glue frags, change out carbon, adjust lights, etc. I guess that means that I should stay on autopilot. I am getting some good growth out of my maricultured piece I got 3 months ago. Frags from MACNA are slowing encrusting and the livestock seem to be fat and happy.

I do have quite a few aiptasia roaming around the tank. I added some Bergias 3 or 4 weeks ago. Looks like they are just starting to keep pace with aiptasia. I am also lucky enough to be getting some bryopsis growing in spots. I have been trying to coax the foxface and the blotched rabbit to eat it....they aren't biting.
Here are some hack pics of the tank.

Full tank:

Full%20tank%2010-20-16_zpseax3hl6m.jpg~original

Oregon Tort
Oregon%20tort%2010-20-16_zpskdjmyaza.jpg~original

BC Hyperberry
hyperberry%2010-20-16_zpsfof0xepo.jpg~original

Tierra del shortcake??? Not exactly sure what this is, but he thought it was a del fuego from BC
tierra%20del%20shortcake%2010-20-16_zpsagka0b2c.jpg~original

Not sure if this guy is a Miyagi or Cali tort. Either way, he made it through Power outage 2016
Tort%2010-20-16_zpspfmvruqj.jpg~original

A trio of yellowstripe trevally were my carry on from MACNA. Super friendly fish. I like them a lot. I did, however, miss the fine print. Apparently they can get up to 4' in the wild. I guess I will enjoy them while I can.
striped%20trevally%2010-20-16_zps3vi0pxof.jpg~original

OP
OP
C

cheezybuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is finally getting to a good spot. 2 part usage has nearly tripled in the last few months, although it was pitiful to begin with.

No new additions except a " bonded" pair of banded sleeper gobies. They certainly fight like they are a pair [emoji6]
8ce662cc4ab43ae65ecd44a676d7a4c7.jpg
dce047ced7601e8d776ba3c886ccb5b1.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back