Cheilinus' basement pool (and rum bar) build

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can still call this thread a build. The pool has been up and running for over 3 years, but it's always a work in progress. As for the rum bar... That part isn't relevant yet, but I am working out a few ideas for incorporating either a second pool (maybe 800 gallons or so) for my California horn shark pair, or sinking a shallow, top down style "clam lagoon" into the top of the bar.

Thought I'd start with a little background and some early build pics.

My reason for setting up the pool is that I wanted to do a larger system, but didn't want to have to undertake a major construction project (tearing down walls, etc...) in order to get one into my house.

I came up with several different design ideas using different materials, and ultimately decided that a 10' round system using a metal frame swimming pool made the most sense for me. In hind sight, I wish I would have gone a little larger (15' round maybe), but I wasn't sure how well this would work out, or if I would even like having a system that is viewed completely from the top down. I thought about adding a viewing window to one of the sides, but decided that the risk outweighed the benefits.

Anyway... I started with this... 10' round Intex metal frame pool.
frame.jpg

Added 6" of insulation, which packed down a lot after adding the water. I also put a 1/2" layer of foam insulation underneath.
insulation.jpg

Placed a 90 mil pond liner over the insulation, and built a sump from a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub. Drilled some holes at the bottom of a trash can, filled with bio-balls, and plumbed it in. Water flows from the pool, thru the trash can, into the sump (I have 200 lbs or so of LR and a skimmer in the sump as well), and back into the pool. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
sump.jpg

Used a plastic storage container for the pump housing. I used threaded 90's at the ends so that I can adjust the direction of water flow. Also added a cross fitting with 3 ball valves to the intake so that I can adjust flow to, or bypass the sump altogether and still maintain water flow in the pool.
pump.jpg

plumb.jpg

skim.jpg

Have to run, but I'll pick up where I left off soon...

FPS.JPG

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your post yesterday in the predator showoff thread and was hoping you'd share more about your set-up! :)

This is really cool, very minimalist for such a huge system. Any idea of the gallonage?

OP
OP
C

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your post yesterday in the predator showoff thread and was hoping you'd share more about your set-up! :)

This is really cool, very minimalist for such a huge system. Any idea of the gallonage?

Thank you! The system is about 1500 gallons including the sump. I decided to keep things as simple as possible as far as the equipment is concerned. Aside from water changes, this is by far the lowest maintenance system I've kept in my 20+ years in the hobby.

OP
OP
C

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up where I left off with the build, I decided that my basement was looking more like a marine science lab than a place where you would want to hang out and enjoy a drink. Needed to do something about the outside of the pool. Again, I considered a few different options (brick, wainscoting, and tile to name a few) before deciding on going with the wooden "dock" look.
docks.jpg

Added some decorations, and some netting/palm fronds to hide the plumbing.

Aquascaping has been a bit of a challenge, and I'd really like to change things up (hopefully) one final time.

My first attempt was just a few random piles.
firstscape.jpg

After a quite a bit of research in regards to whether this stuff would be aquarium safe or not, I made a few "corals" from polymer clay... Here's an example.
polymer.jpg

These turned out to be a lot of maintenance to keep looking clean, and I was constantly having to get into the pool (something I prefer not to do - especially with my current stocking) to scrub them.

My next 'scaping attempt was an "atoll".
pool3.jpg

I also plumbed in a 50 gallon rubbermaid refugium using a ball valve to control the flow. Lighting at this point was a single Kessil A360WE, and I get a good amount of natural sunlight from a south facing window.

Thought it might be fun to attempt a central island with a small palm tree in my next attempt. I added a good amount of LR, set up on milk crates. The liner is tough, but I didn't want to push it with a few hundred pounds of rock sitting in one spot.
central.jpg

Decided that I liked the look of the "atoll" a lot more than the central island, so I tried to combine the two ideas...
island.jpg

This was my favorite so far I think, but the sand on the island constantly wicked water and led to a few issues, a slight "wet laundry" smell being the worst of them.

So I sunk the island.
old.jpg

Added some fake corals, but again, these required me having to get into the pool to keep them looking half way respectable. Apologies for the cloudy water in this pic, was taken not too long after re-doing the 'scape.

Thought it would be fun to have a small mangrove island or two. Ordered a few on amazon, and wound up receiving twice the amount that I had ordered.
mangroves.jpg

Let them grow for a bit, pulled the ones that didn't take, and re-potted several others.
groves2.JPG

Can't wait for these to grow!
broomie1.JPG

What I'd really like to do this time, is incorporate a smaller, raised shelter area in the center following the curve of the rock work where water can easily pass through, but exclude my larger, non reef-safe fish. Would contain the mangroves, and possibly some inverts that you might find in a sandy mangrove zone. If you guys have any other suggestions, I'd definitely love to hear them!

...And a few more recent pics of some of my fish. It can be tough for me to get good photos because of my very enthusiastic 12" niger trigger, who creates a lot of surface agitation, especially around feeding time, and seems to know exactly where I'm pointing the camera. Most of my photos wind up turning out like this...
blue3.jpg

fish.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

All of these were taken with my phone. I'll break out my good camera one of these days and (at least try to) get some better shots of the fish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is so freagin cool!

Mdw2589

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is so awesome! I want to do this so bad but I need to run my air ducting and mold resistant sheetrock in my garage.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pure awesome, do you keep any type of cover over the pool to keep fish from jumping and also what kind of humidity control do you have?

PPi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have done this same thing with an indoor top down reef and rubbermaids. Great job on the facade! This has been my struggle... what to do to make it presentable, lol. I agree with you on how much less maintenance it is. I used to be OCD about having clean glass. No worries now, I just throw a glove on and rub it off the sides. I enjoy seeing the fish more and not having them hide or get freaked out when you come in to see them. Great job and can't wait to see more!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably one of the coolest things I've seen! I've thought of something similar I'm glad you pulled it off!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back