C

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5722.JPG

Tough to get everything in one shot, but this is pretty close. I have the "volcano lights" are turned off in this one. I'm still trying to decide about whether I want to keep the basin underneath the waterfalls. A lot of the fish use the underside as a hiding place, but sometimes I think it's a little intrusive. Tough to tell from the pic, but I attached some "corals" to the base so that it ties in a little better. Please ignore the right side of the pool frame. I'm re-doing the dock to make a section that comes off so that I can get in and out a little easier when needed.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, still have both puffers. I wound up giving the majority of my larger, more aggressive fish to a friend who wanted large/show size fish for his 600g tank. I had been considering going a different route with the pool stocking in favor of smaller fish. Turned out to be a win/win for both of us. The puffers are hands
down my wife's favorites (I'm rather attached to them too), so they had to stay.

Would love to see some pics of your project. Do you have a build thread by any chance? How are you doing the filtration?

Thank you!!
Do the puffers always swim together? I haven't started a build thread for it yet. I'll start one soon though and let you know when I do . Filtration is going to be pretty standard with an overflow and sump and possible skimmer depending on stocking. I thought about an above/beside tank sump too. What's the plan for restocking the pond?

OP
OP
C

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the puffers always swim together? I haven't started a build thread for it yet. I'll start one soon though and let you know when I do . Filtration is going to be pretty standard with an overflow and sump and possible skimmer depending on stocking. I thought about an above/beside tank sump too. What's the plan for restocking the pond?

Nice! Yeah, definitely let me know when you get a build thread started. I'm always looking for new ideas for my pool, and would love to see what you come up with... Any plans for stocking at this point? The puffers swim together about 95% of the time, and share a space in the rock at night.
As for my new stocking plan, I'm going to focus on adding smaller community fish. (butterflies, smaller tangs, dwarf angels, dwarf puffers... etc...). I'd also like to add a few species that I can get to coexist in groups or pairs. I currently have a couple Pomacanthus imperator - one changing, one juvenile - in QT. Would love it if they eventually pair up, but will be happy with them just coexisting. Thought they'd make a nice focal point if all works out. QT is a standard 120g with a divider to keep them separate but still able to see one another. So far, no signs of aggression, but we'll see what happens when it's time to add them to the pool. Just added a small spotted sharpnose puffer (Canthigaster punctatissima) from Central America. Here's a pic from his pre-QT freshwater dip.
IMG_5735.JPG

Ravan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but it’s amazing and I’ve been thinking about doing something like this in my garage for May predators and get a shark or two.

Anymore updates by chance?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mind blowing.

I know the thread is old, but I have 2 questions if the OP is still on the forum.

1) How big of a WC do you do, and how often?

2) How much water do you lose to evaporation.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are at it, for the op, how do you balance water movement (ripples across the surface) vs being able to clearly see the fish?

Last edited:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
Just stumbled on to this.
Wow!
Do you have to wade in the pool to move and service it?
Do the triggers bite your toes?
O>

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I can still call this thread a build. The pool has been up and running for over 3 years, but it's always a work in progress. As for the rum bar... That part isn't relevant yet, but I am working out a few ideas for incorporating either a second pool (maybe 800 gallons or so) for my California horn shark pair, or sinking a shallow, top down style "clam lagoon" into the top of the bar.

Thought I'd start with a little background and some early build pics.

My reason for setting up the pool is that I wanted to do a larger system, but didn't want to have to undertake a major construction project (tearing down walls, etc...) in order to get one into my house.

I came up with several different design ideas using different materials, and ultimately decided that a 10' round system using a metal frame swimming pool made the most sense for me. In hind sight, I wish I would have gone a little larger (15' round maybe), but I wasn't sure how well this would work out, or if I would even like having a system that is viewed completely from the top down. I thought about adding a viewing window to one of the sides, but decided that the risk outweighed the benefits.

Anyway... I started with this... 10' round Intex metal frame pool.
frame.jpg

Added 6" of insulation, which packed down a lot after adding the water. I also put a 1/2" layer of foam insulation underneath.
insulation.jpg

Placed a 90 mil pond liner over the insulation, and built a sump from a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub. Drilled some holes at the bottom of a trash can, filled with bio-balls, and plumbed it in. Water flows from the pool, thru the trash can, into the sump (I have 200 lbs or so of LR and a skimmer in the sump as well), and back into the pool. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
sump.jpg

Used a plastic storage container for the pump housing. I used threaded 90's at the ends so that I can adjust the direction of water flow. Also added a cross fitting with 3 ball valves to the intake so that I can adjust flow to, or bypass the sump altogether and still maintain water flow in the pool.
pump.jpg

plumb.jpg

skim.jpg

Have to run, but I'll pick up where I left off soon...

FPS.JPG
Too cool, comrade

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cheilinus Just came across this thread and wow what a cool read. Been silent for awhile. How is it lookin?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back