Chelated copper is chelated copper

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, its very easy to accurately read the API when you have a digital reading sitting next to you (or say the two appear to match exactly, definitely within the .25ppm range).

I would also like to think, I could test with the API now more accurately having the additional experience using the two in combination.

Prior to having the digital reading, I have found that my practice was reading the test wrong, having the mental piece that you need to make sure you are at least 2.0 with chelated copper, to error on the side of caution maintaining a therapeutic level.

Agreed. I just received my Hanna checker today and it tested 2.07ppm. My API color test led me to believe I was between 1.5-2, but closer to the 2. Like @HotRocks, I'm now a LOT more confident in my ability to read the API kit while I wait on my reinforcements from Hanna.

Thank you to all parties involved in getting this info to the rest of us.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How “off” is Coppersafe & Copper Power when testing with the API? Comparing both to the Hanna Checker reading.

(I’m in the same boat as everyone else; my Hanna Colorimeter & Reagents are on backorder. :()

I'd never used the API kit before and I dosed to what I thought looked "in between 1 and 2, but closer to 2." Another way to phrase that is orange, but not as orange as 2 on the card. I even had my 68 year old mother, who's worn glasses for 20+ years, look at the card. She also thought it looked between 1 and 2. My digital readout was 2.07.

I used coppersafe
~30ml in ~28g of water...I initially dosed 4ml every 6 hours but I noticed my wrasses didn't like that too much. I ended up splitting time/dosage in half, dosing 2ml every 3 or so hours, and it was received much better.

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never used the API kit before and I dosed to what I thought looked "in between 1 and 2, but closer to 2." Another way to phrase that is orange, but not as orange as 2 on the card. I even had my 68 year old mother, who's worn glasses for 20+ years, look at the card. She also thought it looked between 1 and 2. My digital readout was 2.07.

I used coppersafe but it appears to have been from an older, good batch.
~30ml in ~28g of water...I initially dosed 4ml every 6 hours but I noticed my wrasses didn't like that too much. I ended up splitting time/dosage in half, dosing 2ml every 3 or so hours, and it was received much better.

The confusion lies in the fact that previously if dosed as instructed on a bottle of copper safe (1.25ml per gallon) you would arrive at 1.17ppm.
Now I believe they are stating (On the fritz website if I remember seeing @Brew12 previous post correctly) if dosed as instructed you should arrive at 1.5-2.0ppm.
you dosed slightly under at around 1.07ml per gallon and were still north of the 2.0ppm mark.

It still doesn't change the fact that anyone using copper should test and monitor the level frequently during the treatment process, no matter what test method is being used. It is just interesting to me.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The confusion lies in the fact that previously if dosed as instructed on a bottle of copper safe (1.25ml per gallon) you would arrive at 1.17ppm.
Now I believe they are stating (On the fritz website if I remember seeing @Brew12 previous post correctly) if dosed as instructed you should arrive at 1.5-2.0ppm.
you dosed slightly under at around 1.07ml per gallon and were still north of the 2.0ppm mark.

It still doesn't change the fact that anyone using copper should test and monitor the level frequently during the treatment process, no matter what test method is being used. It is just interesting to me.

You're right. I honestly never looked at bottle instructions....I happened to find your warning thread the evening I started dosing. I can't imagine how off my levels would have been had I not.

That sounded negligent. I saw an earlier post saying to shoot for 1.6ml/g. That's what I'd started at. I then found your thread and cut down and tested and hour before and after dosing

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nah, that would make too much sense.

This is what they say.
upload_2018-3-27_16-18-34.png

Through phone and email conversations they stated the recommended dosing was 1.16 to 1.17ppm. The recommended dose being 1.25mL/g (5mL/4g).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are both chelated with EDTA but haven't been able to confirm either.
Just because I love proving myself wrong... this is wrong. They are not chelated with EDTA. Figuring out what they are chelated with is not proving to be easy. I hate "trade secrets"!

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what they say.

Through phone and email conversations they stated the recommended dosing was 1.16 to 1.17ppm. The recommended dose being 1.25mL/g (5mL/4g).

And this was their response to my inquiry.

Screenshot_20180321-150904.png

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what they say.

Interestingly, I think they have the decimal incorrect. I think perhaps they mean 1.5-2.0 on the website, which would make a lot more sense than 1.17

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what they say.

Their very recent email to me stated if you dose at 1.25ml per gallon. That would yeild 1.5-2.0ppm. I disagree as my bottle yeilds 3.0 or above. I don't know what is going on. But I know what I'm using from here forward... Lol

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anything new come out of this in the past couple of months?

I’ve got my bottle of coppersafe and api testkit still, haven’t needed to use it in months but will again soon. I’ve only used it twice but really didn’t have much of a problem. Actually, if I remember correctly, the last time I used it I had to add more copper as the API testkit was too close to 1.5 and I wanted it closer to 2.0.

This sounds silly but I haven’t heard anyone say talk about it yet: are you shaking your bottles before dosing copper? I always give it a good shake...

Now I’m very curious, and think I’ll order the Hanna checker to compare.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anything new come out of this in the past couple of months?

I’ve got my bottle of coppersafe and api testkit still, haven’t needed to use it in months but will again soon. I’ve only used it twice but really didn’t have much of a problem. Actually, if I remember correctly, the last time I used it I had to add more copper as the API testkit was too close to 1.5 and I wanted it closer to 2.0.

This sounds silly but I haven’t heard anyone say talk about it yet: are you shaking your bottles before dosing copper? I always give it a good shake...

Now I’m very curious, and think I’ll order the Hanna checker to compare.
Only thing new is Hanna verified tester is accurate in saltwater.

Yes I always shake them prior to use.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new; bottles seem to be all over the place, they don't seem to care, there was a recall in 2016 that went under the radar and yes, the Hanna checker will save you if your eyes suck with the API kit.

This makes me very angry. :mad: It's bad enough we have to figure out everything for ourselves, and these clowns can't even MFG a bottle of copper properly??!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new; bottles seem to be all over the place, they don't seem to care, there was a recall in 2016 that went under the radar and yes, the Hanna checker will save you if your eyes suck with the API kit.
:eek:
"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers this action to be a Class II recall, meaning that exposure to this product may cause temporary or medically reversible adverse health consequences. The risk of serious health issues is small."

Unless you are a fish. :mad:

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 16oz. bottle of coppernotsafe expires this December. I plan on getting some more fish soon so I will be using it, but I will also be doing a half dose and monitoring with the hanna copper checker (I have pre-ordered it).

Seems like they (fritz) beat around the bush and mentioned user errors in testing, yet didn’t mention the recall? That’s enough for me to switch to copperpower.

F3D6895F-3358-4894-9F3D-41F14A6F86DB.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe was not available for about 30 days a few months ago. I’m not sure if it was a coincidence or if they realized they had a serious QC problem but it wasn’t even available on Amazon for awhile as @HotRocks noticed.

I wonder if they left their meds in circulation from that recall in 2016? (Surely it wouldn’t last that long) or perhaps it was another recall?

In the ten years I had used it prior I’d always been able to easily obtain it.

Actuarious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Copper Power for 2 weeks now. And while visible signs of ich have greatly reduced and I believe my French Angel will pull through. I still see small signs of ich. Do we need to run QT for 76 days using copper as well?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Copper Power for 2 weeks now. And while visible signs of ich have greatly reduced and I believe my French Angel will pull through. I still see small signs of ich. Do we need to run QT for 76 days using copper as well?

30 days. Or 14 and transfer to a 2nd sterile QT.

How are you testing? What level are you treating at?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back