Chemi-Clean Risks; I can't seem to get rid of my cyano problem

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an infestation of cyano bacteria for the past several months. I am wanting to try out Chemi-Clean but I want to be aware of any risks associated with using this product. For people who have used it how did it turn out for you?

Pertinent info about my setup:

My tank is a IM fusion lagoon 25 that has been up and running for just short of two years, a mix between LPS and SPS including acropora. I had cyano during the first 9 months that my tank was set up but it eventually went away. A few months ago I had a tank emergency that prompted me to remove all of my livestock. After this incident my tail spot blenny was no where to be found so I am assuming that he perished somewhere inside the tank. After this incident cyano started showing up and has since covered quite a bit of my rock work as well as my sand bed, I assumed this was due to the stress on the system and the fish death. I perform 25% waterchanges weekly where I vacuum the sand bed and blow off the rock work. I just cant seem to be able to make a dent in my cyano problem and I think additional steps are in order despite my reluctance to try chemi clean.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try a strongly reduced lighting schedule or a complete black out for a couple of days. I’ve used chemi clean before and the only thing that really seemed to be effected was the nems. Acros, other sps, lps, and softies were ok, maybe a slight reduction in daylight polyp extension. Depending on the amount of flow currently in your tank, you may have to increase it to oxygenate the water as the chemi clean pulls oxygen from the water.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also been told that Blue Life Cyano RX Work’s much better than chemiclean although I have never used it personally.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean knocked out my Cyano in two days follow the instrutions an it works fine do the water change and run carbon to get the rest out I ran it (carbon) about 4 days.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never once seen a nano reef ran correctly through the sand rinse thread and ever have cyano issues again.

Post pics

I bet there’s a sandbed here, if so, you are one step away from never owning chemiclean or being invaded by a non anchored invader again

Let’s test the claim, especially on a persistent one

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the formula :)

Nano with cyano + https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ead-aka-one-against-many.230281/#post-2681445 = completely changed reefing approach and never invaded again for the rest of time you keep Nano reefs.

That’s the most nano cyano cures collected in one thread anywhere, how could your tank not turn out wonderful?

Causes of cyano= detritus, either in rocks or sand. So easy to remedy

Chemi clean does nothing for detritus though I agree it works for initial kills and in some cases a full kill, but with that filth in place, cyano comes back.
leaving detritus and opting for meds feeds the next invaders...green hair algae aren’t helped by chemi clean, but they’ll sell you more meds to dump in it (fluco) as a never ending sales to you cycle. Our method is the equivalent of exercising so you don’t have to live on pills and meds theory.

*in that thread which is purely fixed tanks with threads and details, how many times did we need to see a parameter reading or identify the invader? Those are all hesitation steps. The thread is about never being hesitant again and posting win after pics.

Last edited:

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have tested this product and another cheaper alternative Red Slime Remover on Cyano and it seemed to work fine both times on different tanks. I seen no adverse effects to my Corals LPS, Snails, fish or Shrimp. My test where obviously not part of any controlled experiment so I can only give my observations. As far as I am aware Chemi Clean was suggested to contain the Antibiotic Erythromycin, This can only be administered by a registered Veterinary in the UK. The suggestion came from a source that claimed an analysis of the product by a german veterinary organisation. I can not substantiate this claim but it may raise some questions about it suitability.

During my tests and discussion with other reef users, I did determine a very important factor. You must first positively ID the bloom as actual Cyano Bacteria. Some forms of Dino can also seem similar in colour and constitution. With those who found Chemiclean ineffective, closer observation under a microscope suggested that the bloom was actually dinoflagellates. Once treated for Dino with Dino X (Fauna Marine) the infestation was removed.

Lots of successful reefers just ignore the stuff and let it burn itself out. So that is also another option.

I must point out that positive diagnosis is essential in determining the course of treatment.

Last edited:

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked for me following the instructions precisely. Under dose and it may not work, over dose and it may start killing things. I had a finger leather that stayed closed a couple of days, but doing fine now. LPS acted like nothing happened.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a product called Special Blend , It is made by Microbe-Lift. I found this product on some 10 year old post on the boards . I did call the company to ask about there product , also did some research on line. I did my first dose on the 17th of this month. First two days filter socks were filthy and shimmer needed to be cleaned daily. My system is 1000 gal 99% sps , anemones ,nails and urchins . There were no signs of stress nor did anything perish including fish .

OP
OP
Flatlandreefer

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I dosed my chemi-clean a couple hours ago. My question now is how long do I need to keep an airstone running in the tank?

Christian_N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve used chemi-clean in my tank. I have removed active carbon and phosphate remover. Use an extra airstone och let the skimmer run for 48 hours. The skimmer will overflow but it’s neccessary for extra air and to let the chemi-clean work and recirculate the water. After 48 hours change 20% water and add active carbon and phosphate remover again if you’re using.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’ve used chemi-clean in my tank. I have removed active carbon and phosphate remover. Use an extra airstone och let the skimmer run for 48 hours. The skimmer will overflow but it’s neccessary for extra air and to let the chemi-clean work and recirculate the water. After 48 hours change 20% water and add active carbon and phosphate remover again if you’re using.
Also per instructions turn of any ozonater or UV sterilizer too

OP
OP
Flatlandreefer

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I took my GFO and Carbon out. No Skimmer, I do have an mp10 and a jabeo pump running so there is a lot of flow in the tank as well as a large foot print for the tank size so there should be a lot of gas exchange. I have an airpump running so maybe leave that in for 48 hours?

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I took my GFO and Carbon out. No Skimmer, I do have an mp10 and a jabeo pump running so there is a lot of flow in the tank as well as a large foot print for the tank size so there should be a lot of gas exchange. I have an airpump running so maybe leave that in for 48 hours?
That should do it I run a skimmer and two 700gph and two 950 gph wave makier pumps so I don't use an airpump and stone. As long as you have good air exchange you should be fine.

OP
OP
Flatlandreefer

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG
So far everything is goin well, cyano is still there though.

There is something strange on my glass that I have never seen before, does anybody know what this is?

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG
So far everything is goin well, cyano is still there though.

There is something strange on my glass that I have never seen before, does anybody know what this is?
Not for sure snail eggs maybe? I found a small patch like thay today next to a wave pump with a Trochus snail not far below it myself

OP
OP
Flatlandreefer

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am kind of regretting my chemi clean treatment. It seems to have hit my lps hard. I have flesh pulling away from part of my trumpet skeleton, I also have a few heads of acans that have bit the dust. My elegance has been super ticked but I am really really really hoping it bounces back. Nepthea is mad but this was expected.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am kind of regretting my chemi clean treatment. It seems to have hit my lps hard. I have flesh pulling away from part of my trumpet skeleton, I also have a few heads of acans that have bit the dust. My elegance has been super ****** but I am really really really hoping it bounces back. Nepthea is mad but this was expected.
Mine were receding I dosed Kent iodine full dosage daily by drops for 10 days then cut it to half an all is well JM2C (receding before Chemiclean)

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano needs a few things to start. one is warm water, another is Phosphates, another is Nitrogen, and finally a light spectrum favorable for growth. PO4 levels higher than .01 PPM can put you at risk of cyano if your No3 is favorable for the cyano to develop. Find out what your PO4 level is and if its to high try to knock that down first. Then make sure your NO3 is not to high. Cyano will still grow with zero PO4 if your Nitrogen levels stay high or turn over rapid. Good luck Cyano is tough. It took me 8months to find the winning combo in my tank. Coincidently when I beat cyano I also beat GHA. Win win! I tried Chemiclean also. it F@#$ed up a lot of my LPS also. When I beat cyano and GHA my tank maint went from every day to a couple hours max a week. I change my carbon and GFO every 3-4 weeks, use my own RODI unit. Control everything you can and success will follow. Every tank is different. What works for One my not work for another. Remember the 4 basics of cyano...temp, NO3, PO4 and lighting.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back