Chemi-Pure Blue vs. Activated Carbon??

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. I am wondering if there is any real difference between these 2 products (aside from cost) Is there something the Chemi-Pure does that Activated Carbon does not?

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi-pure Blue is carbon plus "two high-grade hybrid ion exchange resins to produce a synergistic formula for the health and well-being of your aquarium inhabitants".

My guess is that it is carbon mixed with Purigen. Purigen can be regenerated btw, but only if it's not mixed with carbon...

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I get that but what does all the chemi-pure products do? I get what carbon does but not chemi-pure

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is Chemi-pure lasts a whoppin 3 or 4 months (according to label) and carbon 3 or 4 days according to very smart reefers who I like to listen to. My personal common sense is having a hard time with that. Anyone? :)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the carbon gets clogged faster (tiny pores) with slime than the purigen beads which absorbs impurities, where as carbon captures impurities with microscopic pores. Also I believe the purigen can absorb stuff the carbon cannot.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the carbon gets clogged faster (tiny pores) with slime than the purigen beads which absorbs impurities, where as carbon captures impurities with microscopic pores. Also I believe the purigen can absorb stuff the carbon cannot.
But there are a mixture of carbon and purigen beads in CB Blue. Are you saying the carbon in CP is quickly saturated while the beads continue being affective?

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but still the same question is there.
So ok what about for cyano
Would you use CB and what one or for green hair algae.
What is the use for CB

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you use CP and what one or for green hair algae.
What is the use for CP.
Read the label on Chemi-pure, it helps control phosphate with "ferric oxide" which carbon does not. At this moment I am using a poly-filter instead of carbon. I am also battling GHA with just raising magnesium to 1500, the algae is melting away slowly. I can blow it off the rocks and suck it up easier now with the elevated mag.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you use CB and what one or for green hair algae.
What is the use for CB
And the cyano I still have just a little, I just keep blowing it off the rocks and corals once or twice a day and use a polishing filter inside the tank to remove it quicker. Never added any chemicals, maybe the elevated magnesium is helping. But it is almost gone.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You need to be careful with the terminology as it seems like the Chemi-Pure products are getting mixed up on this thread. Even the OP title and post is a little confusing - Chemi-Pure Blue isn’t equivalent to Carbon as far as I am aware (the closest equivalent would be Chemi-Pure original).

There are 3 or 4 different types of Chemi-Pure and they all have different compositions.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be careful with the terminology as it seems like the Chemi-Pure products are getting mixed up on this thread. Even the OP title and post is a little confusing - Chemi-Pure Blue isn’t equivalent to Carbon as far as I am aware (the closest equivalent would be Chemi-Pure original).

There are 3 or 4 different types of Chemi-Pure and they all have different compositions.

It seems that you are the one confused...

My post was to ask if there is any discernable difference between Chemi-Pure Blue and activated carbon. What does the Chemi-pure do that activated carbon does not and is there a viable reason to justify paying the higher price for one over the other. In NO WAY did I say, mislead, or imply that they are both identical products.

Hey guys.. I am wondering if there is any real difference between these 2 products (aside from cost) Is there something the Chemi-Pure does that Activated Carbon does not?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back