• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are reefers to quick to use chemical solutions? Seems like the more people are using quick fix chemicals versus natural methods that may take longer. I've found that some of the quick fixes throw my parameters way off and i spend months getting things back in line.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your poll, i let it roll, probably too much.
since biology is all about chemical reactions what we are talking about is the difference between sun-drying and oven cooking. the same reaction/process just at different rates. I think that to understand and experience the life in the box I prefer the more sedate pace, the back and forth progression of letting it happen. yes, I clean the front and room facing side glass because observation is the point, but i let the other two sides do what they want. I feed but i also let hitchhikers and growth take its course. i don't normally use floss and have no socks because i want the organisms to mix from sump to DT and back. I have an oversized skimmer for my bio load and have turned it off to try to raise the nutrient level I understand your question as asking about the reliance on chemicals that jerk the parameters abruptly. I am willing to have an out of (my) control system rather than a micromanaged manicured one.
Dave

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by “chemicals.”

If you are talking about remedies for cyano, etc, the temptation is a quick fix. Chemicals can produce a rapid response that gives us the result we want without knowing the underlying problems. I use them sparingly and only as a last ditch effort. With any problem in your tank, always figure out the underlying cause then come up with a solution. Oftentimes a problem will not be truly fixed with a bottle of chemicals. Totally agree with your statement above, adding chemicals can take more time to fix a problem created by the chemicals.

However dosing “chemicals” can be very helpful, if you can test for them.

What chemicals are you specifically referring to?

OP
OP
Melanie Fish

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by “chemicals.”

If you are talking about remedies for cyano, etc, the temptation is a quick fix. Chemicals can produce a rapid response that gives us the result we want without knowing the underlying problems. I use them sparingly and only as a last ditch effort. With any problem in your tank, always figure out the underlying cause then come up with a solution. Oftentimes a problem will not be truly fixed with a bottle of chemicals. Totally agree with your statement above, adding chemicals can take more time to fix a problem created by the chemicals.

However dosing “chemicals” can be very helpful, if you can test for them.

What chemicals are you specifically referring to?
I'm referring more to ChemiClean type chemicals not so much dosing chemicals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are reefers to quick to use chemical solutions? Seems like the more people are using quick fix chemicals versus natural methods that may take longer. I've found that some of the quick fixes throw my parameters way off and i spend months getting things back in line.

That is only because you must have used them inappropriately. If you use "chemicals" correctly, they cannot throw anything off or cause problems.

They key, of course,is appropriate use. manufacturers guidelines are often not the way to go. Understanding what exactly the solutions do is the best way to go.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chemiclean is an antibiotic. It kills many bacteria, including cyanobacteria. The dead bacteria can cause issues with elevated nutrients or released toxins.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotcha. Find your underlying problem and try to fix it naturally. For example cyano can be cured by increasing feeding, etc. My cyano went away gradually when I added more fish and fed more. My nutrients were way too low. Corals look much better now too. Now I’m increasing my clean up crew to handle the algae. IMO seems like a much better way to produce sustainable and long lasting results instead of a quick fix. My two cents! Happy reefing!

Back