Chemipure swap 4 months but change carbon every 2 weeks? Huh

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo its only carbon. Thats all its done for my tank. Does nothing for anything else. Its much cleaner imo than other brands of carbon. I like it. Easier to handle and such. Mine stopped working after about 1.5-2months
I did use Chemi Pure Elite and it did lower Phos from .2 to 0 quickly. About a week so I removed it. It dose work.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it? I believe only the elite contains GFO.
If I keep sticking my foot in my mouth I'm going to have big problems or soggy shoes.

Chemipure is rare to find in Australia like a lot of other stuff.

The only version I've seen is the one containing GFO as it is probably prohibitely expensive to get import permission for other versions, and why would you bother.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I keep sticking my foot in my mouth I'm going to have big problems or soggy shoes.

Chemipure is rare to find in Australia like a lot of other stuff.

The only version I've seen is the one containing GFO as it is probably prohibitely expensive to get import permission for other versions, and why would you bother.
That would be the elite then, maybe making your own would work out cheaper? Purigen, rowaphos and carbon, either in the same bag or separate, or a reactor.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the elite then, maybe making your own would work out cheaper? Purigen, rowaphos and carbon, either in the same bag or separate, or a reactor.
That is exactly what I do.

Rowacarb, rowaphos, and purigen.

Toss every 6 weeks.

I stopped doing water changes 3 months ago, so rely on chemical filtration.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I do.

Rowacarb, rowaphos, and purigen.

Toss every 6 weeks.

I stopped doing water changes 3 months ago, so rely on chemical filtration.
I'll be sending off a Triton ICP this tomorrow so it will be interesting to see where I'm at.

The last one in May was perfect so 3 months with no water changes should be interesting.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple different chemipures. The elite has carbon and gfo, the blue has carbon and purigen. I use the blue and usually leave it for 3 months. If I need too, I'll add a bag of carbon or purigen separately. I use phosguard for Po4

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Most chemi pure bags are made from carbon, GFO and some sort of nitrate control. Most people get confused and use them instead of just what they need. For example are you having issues with phosphates Or nitrates ? If not just buy pure carbon and a bag and replace it as usual. What I do is make a chemi bag for what I need. For example my phosphates are usually between 0-.05 so I don’t use GFO and my nitrates don’t climb past 15ppm which is prefect for me so I make a carbon only bag, if something gets out of control that can’t be fixed for example my frag tank has nitrates at 25ppm so my media bag has carbon and nitrate reducer. Comes out el this way in the long run and you can fine tune your own media bag to your needs.
What is the “nitrate reducer” you use?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to now how people reduce their nitrates? I don think there is a chemical to lower it! I use gfo, polyfilter and carbon! I used to use chemi elite but quit because I had the same question about the carbon running out so I was adding carbon after I used the chemipure for a month! I accidentally bought brs cheap gfo and that stuff sucks! The expensive one is good and I get almost 4 months out of it and donT have to use nearly as much!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too would like to now how people reduce their nitrates? I don think there is a chemical to lower it! I use gfo, polyfilter and carbon! I used to use chemi elite but quit because I had the same question about the carbon running out so I was adding carbon after I used the chemipure for a month! I accidentally bought brs cheap gfo and that stuff sucks! The expensive one is good and I get almost 4 months out of it and donT have to use nearly as much!

There are many ways to reduce nitrate, including water changes, growing macroalgae, organic carbon dosing, sulfur and carbon denitrators, etc. I recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 61 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back