Cherry Tree Monti Help

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, had this about a month, slowly bleaching since day 1, was hoping transport stress but starting to feel otherwise.
Sal 1.025
pH 8.3
Temp 25.5
KH 9.0
Ca - oddly dipped very recently (after bleaching started) - unsure why, slowly bringing it up from 300
Mg 1250
Phos 0.015
Nit 10-15
Amm 0
Flow is pretty strong over the monti.
My best guess is light but too much or not enough?
I have AI blades grow and glow at about 30% max. Picture of settings at peak added.

Any ideas? Is it beyond saving? I feed oyster relish twice a week from an UK dealer

IMG_7030.jpeg
IMG_7031.jpeg
IMG_7032.jpeg
IMG_7033.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to move it up to the top rock, they like high light and high flow. Or, maybe turn the lights up a bit, they seem very low.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to move it up to the top rock, they like high light and high flow. Or, maybe turn the lights up a bit, they seem very low.
Thought this may be the case. Have nems and lps in so didn’t wanna shock them with upping the lights quickly… will do some moving…

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s bleaching, I would not put it in higher lighting. Instead I would lower him a bit. Remember, corals can always get acclimated to higher par. But it should be done slowly over time. Also, for hard corals I could say nitrates would be considered elevated, I keep mine at about 5-7 for reference and phosphate seems low imo, but it’s a very controversial topic

Good luck

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s bleaching, I would not put it in higher lighting. Instead I would lower him a bit. Remember, corals can always get acclimated to higher par. But it should be done slowly over time. Also, for hard corals I could say nitrates would be considered elevated, I keep mine at about 5-7 for reference and phosphate seems low imo, but it’s a very controversial topic

Good luck
Crumbs lol

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it where you moved it. Get your Calcium up, and maintain stability. It's not getting bleached by the light.
Will do. I’ve just moved dosing techniques. Now dosing Ca and minerals etc based on KH with additional Cá/Sr if needed. Have no idea why it went so low. Literally 150 mg/l in a couple of days. Verified by LFS. Tho like I said doubt it’s the root cause as was happening when Cá was steady at 400-420. Agree deffo not helping tho

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 25.5
Ca - oddly dipped very recently (after bleaching started) - unsure why, slowly bringing it up from 300
Mg 1250
Phos 0.015
Temp on the cooler side.
No need to go slow bringing up cal.
Mag also, get it up now.
Po4 is very low also. I would get that up to minimum 0.03; IMO, po4 is more important than no3. Let me rephrase, if you're going to have a nutrient imbalance, it's better to be heavier on po4 than no3.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp on the cooler side.
No need to go slow bringing up cal.
Mag also, get it up now.
Po4 is very low also. I would get that up to minimum 0.03; IMO, po4 is more important than no3. Let me rephrase, if you're going to have a nutrient imbalance, it's better to be heavier on po4 than no3.
Brill thanks! So turns out ca reduction was the test LFS confirmed as a little high now as was dosing to bring up. Never using NT labs again, salifert all the way. Will dose a little po4 and bring the no3 down to below 10. I suppose then can see if it is lighting or not… in for the long game. My instinct are the lights are set too low but anything other than a very gentle increase e.g 15% over 90 days, the nems just hide or move or spew out zoox. Maybe too slow for this little guy

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brill thanks! So turns out ca reduction was the test LFS confirmed as a little high now as was dosing to bring up. Never using NT labs again, salifert all the way. Will dose a little po4 and bring the no3 down to below 10. I suppose then can see if it is lighting or not… in for the long game. My instinct are the lights are set too low but anything other than a very gentle increase e.g 15% over 90 days, the nems just hide or move or spew out zoox. Maybe too slow for this little guy
I don't know enough about these lights. Best bet is to get your hands on a par meter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back